U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 04:01 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,401,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
A lot of poor people are still poor because they pay $25/week for 5 years for a $300 PC because they can't come up with the $300 up front.
Exactly. "Instant gratification" sure doesn't pay off in the long run.

I will say, though, I got a good deal at a rental place in Jacksonville. I was only going to be on base for a month. The rental deal was the first month free if you signed a 12 month contract for the item. The place was local and they would let you out of the contract if you had PCS orders for outside the area.

Got a really nice stereo system for free use for a month!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 05:59 PM

28,631 posts, read 40,613,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Why would be people renting from them when they know they are being spied on like that? It makes no sense to me to even rent a PC/Laptop when you can get a new one for a few hundred bucks these days.

Here is the flip side, people who would probably react to this by saying "WTF?" are probably having cell phone conversations at public places loud enough to be heard by most passing by or have fairly unsecured Facebook accounts or even have some sort of a political bumper sticker.

It is amazing how much information of you that you might consider "personal" is freely available to anyone out there some we know about and some we are actually contributing ourselves. We leave traces all over the place everyday, both offline and online, without even knowing.

PS. This post will self-delete in 24 hours.

I agree and I'm a very private and careful person. You won't overhear any conversation I have on a cell phone unless you are so close that I won't talk anyway. I wouldn't have a Facebook or any other account of that type for anything, and I have never had a bumper sticker.

I am so careful that I ran my own one-man computer consulting company for over seven years, had a web site advertizing it, had an ad in the local yellow pages, yet you can Google me and not find anything about me and that's how I like it.

No it won't. Once it's on the Internet it's almost indestructible - especially if one of the browsers has had a bot scan it.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:18 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,270,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Here is the flip side, people who would probably react to this by saying "WTF?" are probably having cell phone conversations at public places loud enough to be heard by most passing by or have fairly unsecured Facebook accounts or even have some sort of a political bumper sticker.
Or the silly little decals on the back of their mini-van or SUV, with the names of all the children, even the dog

Now the pedophiles and pervs don't have to say "little girl" they can call her by name.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:08 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,654,908 times
^^ Excellent observation

Old 07-22-2011, 07:23 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Does anyone need any more proof you should build your own system?
Why yes, I do.

An appliance rental place engaging in questionable practices with preinstalled software would hardly convince me that any prebuilt system is a poor decision. If one buys a prebuilt system one can either remove the software they don't want or take the supplied Windows installation CD and wipe then completely reinstall.

For a higher end rig sure I agree, the savings can be substantial and worth it. But for your basic desktop where $300-$400 can get you out the door with a reasonable PC with a one year warranty, building a system from scratch just isn't worth the time.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:28 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,846,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Or the silly little decals on the back of their mini-van or SUV, with the names of all the children, even the dog

Now the pedophiles and pervs don't have to say "little girl" they can call her by name.
I know, right?
I am a total Texan in heart when it comes to punishing those types of sickos.
Murderers, rapist, pedophiles, child molesters, heck even those who beat up their dog, electrocute or gas 'em all!

Old 07-23-2011, 12:07 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,345,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
take the supplied Windows installation CD and wipe then completely reinstall.
Most don't come with a Windows CD any more. If you have an OEM CD of the same version of Windows, you can load that with the key on the case.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:20 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,654,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Why yes, I do.

An appliance rental place engaging in questionable practices with preinstalled software would hardly convince me that any prebuilt system is a poor decision. If one buys a prebuilt system one can either remove the software they don't want or take the supplied Windows installation CD and wipe then completely reinstall.

For a higher end rig sure I agree, the savings can be substantial and worth it. But for your basic desktop where $300-$400 can get you out the door with a reasonable PC with a one year warranty, building a system from scratch just isn't worth the time.
The statement I made had nothing to do with cost or quality, it was knowing what was installed on the system.....

A person who buys a cheapo PC is not likely to have the knowledge to do what you are suggesting.......

Last time I looked spyware and trojans are not installed via the Windows installer so how is the user going to know what's installed on the cheapo system????

And notice that the people who rented the systems had no clue the spyware was installed, and these are the same people who would purchase a cheapo system...

Old 07-23-2011, 09:26 AM

8,266 posts, read 10,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
A person who buys a cheapo PC is not likely to have the knowledge to do what you are suggesting.......
So you are suggesting this person should build their own system?

I get where you're coming from, but lets be real for the person renting a computer that has spyware a solution of building their own isn't really viable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or