U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 06:27 PM

11,625 posts, read 20,781,406 times

Advertisements

It's me again - This computer wants to backup every Sunday, then wants the "Media dated...." - but it seems to want a NEW blank disc way to often, this is getting really old. Can I change the settings or just make it back up on the same disc or something? Appreciate any help. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 06:41 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,654,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
It's me again - This computer wants to backup every Sunday, then wants the "Media dated...." - but it seems to want a NEW blank disc way to often, this is getting really old. Can I change the settings or just make it back up on the same disc or something? Appreciate any help. TIA
Would help to know the amount of data you are backing up

What type of backup you're doing (full/incremental/differential)

and what type of media you're using for the backup...

OS might help too.......

How to often is way to often????????

Old 07-24-2011, 06:45 PM

I'm talking about the computer alert that wants to back up every Sunday - I don't do anything huge, web surf, upload pics. for work (but them I delete them after several days from the folder). Windows 7, and it's a fairly new computer.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:50 PM

Take a look at this Microsoft help on Windows 7 automatic backups, it should help you out in determining what type of backups are being done

Set up or change automatic backup settings

Old 07-24-2011, 07:11 PM

28,631 posts, read 40,613,958 times
Quote:
Backing up to the same drive is not a backup. Well, it is, but if the drive crashes where are you going to recover from?

Old 07-24-2011, 07:11 PM

Thanks, I changed it to monthly, that was getting on my last nerve! LOL

Old 07-24-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I changed it to monthly, that was getting on my last nerve! LOL
Excellent

Old 07-24-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Backing up to the same drive is not a backup. Well, it is, but if the drive crashes where are you going to recover from?
He is not backing up to the same drive:

Quote:
but it seems to want a NEW blank disc way to often

Old 07-27-2011, 06:28 AM

445 posts, read 1,409,251 times
Quote:
.....and it's a fairly new computer.
DO NOT let that fact determine how often you backup... I had a computer that was two months old and the HD crashed...

Old 07-27-2011, 05:05 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,306,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And you need a remedial reading comprehension class.
backing up to the same disc, as the OP stated, would be trying to reuse the same DVD.

backing up to the same disk would be storing the image on the same HDD.

my comprehension leads me to believe the OP is using DVD's to backup. also, if they were backing up on a HDD, the computer wouldn't ask them. it would just do it, if scheduled.

to the OP; i would suggest an external backup drive (USB connected) and schedule backups weekly during the night while you aren't using the computer. for example, my backups start @ 3AM every sunday. it never hurts to have multiple save locations if you have critical data to save; i have some things that are saved in the disk image and to an online backup. if the house burns down, your backup drive goes with it.

also, when you setup your backup schedule, you will most likely want to set it to keep only two images at a time (depending on the size of your drive) or you will consume all the backup drive space in just a few weeks. once that happens, if you don't delete previous disk images, your computer won't backup the newest data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers