Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2011, 10:17 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,738 times

Advertisements

First, this is not for me personally, but for a very non-computer saavy friend of mine. So I do not have a lot of details.

She was working on a Word document, saved it. Now she can see it, can even see the date/time she was working on it, but cannot open it. It's important to get to this document.

I asked her about the operating system, the only answer I got was "Windows", and how old is the computer which is she also doesn't know as it's borrowed. It is a desktop, not laptop.

Any suggestions out there as to how to restore this document? Please make it reasonably simple as I have to try to explain it to her, although I may just go over to her house with any suggestions and try them myself.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 10:41 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Error messages?

Old 07-10-2011, 12:16 PM

I asked, she didn't remember. She's going to check later today and get back to me. Right now, she's stressing about having to rewrite the document. I keep telling her not so fast, let's see if this can be retrieved.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:37 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,028 times
Was it originally created on that computer or did she create it on a different one but is now trying to open it on this one? Reason I ask is because newer versions of Word save the document with the extension .docx and older versions of word will not open them. You have to open it in a newer version of word (2007 or newer) and then save it as type .doc. You can then open it in older versions of word.

Is it saved to a usb flash drive or on the computer hard drive? If it is on a flash drive and it was not dismounted properly before being removed from a computer, the file may have been corrupted.

It would help if we knew what version of MS office word is being used and what the extension on the file.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:49 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Was it originally created on that computer or did she create it on a different one but is now trying to open it on this one? Reason I ask is because newer versions of Word save the document with the extension .docx and older versions of word will not open them. You have to open it in a newer version of word (2007 or newer) and then save it as type .doc. You can then open it in older versions of word.

Is it saved to a usb flash drive or on the computer hard drive? If it is on a flash drive and it was not dismounted properly before being removed from a computer, the file may have been corrupted.

It would help if we knew what version of MS office word is being used and what the extension on the file.
Good point about the different version. If that is the case, there's a compatibility pack that will allow you to open 2007/10 files in 2000/03/XP.

Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 file formats - Support - Office.com

Old 07-10-2011, 06:47 PM

Ok, I got a little more information. The document was done on 2 different computers, one older, the other newer.

The only error message was it kept saying "Unretrievable". She also said there were a lot of weird symbols like #.

She's going to try to email it to me to see if it is the Word version differences. I've fixed a few of those before.

I was also wondering if somehow this ended up as a zip file on her???

Old 07-10-2011, 08:25 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,028 times
She could have possibly saved it in a number of different formats including .pdf which could be opened by adobe reader. I doubt she zipped it but you never know. Maybe she will get it emailed to you and it will be fairly obvious what the problem might be but if it was opened on two different computers, there is a good chance it was copied to a usb flash drive and not dismounted properly causing file corruption. She may still have a good local copy on one of the computers in her documents folder she could try.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,408 times
You can always try Open or Libre Office. Sometimes they can open documents that MS Office cannot. It's rare, but worth a shot.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:52 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Honestly? There are some computer users that you are better off NOT rescuing. Not saying this is the case here, but if someone is on a phone with me and wants help, they better be able to give me the information I need and follow directions exactly. I've had customers where I had to resort to support through email only - both to cut down on the "what does this button do?" calls, and to focus the responsibility for errors caused by not following instructions exactly.

I'm not a fan of the various formats MS used for Word anyway. Quite literally, it can be easier to take a printed copy, scan it, and run it through an OCR than try to reassemble some of the Word format files.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers