U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 12:26 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,506,126 times

Advertisements

Liz -

Thank you so much for taking all the time you have to give me specific directions. I really appreciate your time & effort.

I'm just getting back online after a break, so I'll be following your instructions in the next day or 2. I'll be printing them off shortly.

Thanks again... VV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 12:32 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,405,209 times
No problem. I wish I could help more but like I said, I've been out of the loop far too long.

Following those instructions will get you started and help you before you go to one of the sites listed. All of them are good so don't worry about which one you pick. Liz

Old 08-19-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Well, slowness is slikely helped by Norton, you need to unisntall and get a more RAM friendly scan.
Brian -

Thank you for replying. I have McAffee, too, but I purchased Norton after getting a virus using McAffee & had to reformat my harddrive. I always set up virus programs to automatically update .dat files. Am I missing something else?

How does everyone feel about McAfee vs. Norton? Or, are there other virus programs you'd recommend?

Quote:
It may be hardware thats slowing you down too. If you have two sticks of RAM try to boot to each stick individually, and see if its faster, slower or just the same.
Sorry, I have absolutely no idea what "stick" means or how to do "separate" boots.

Quote:
Use Firefox for the temp internet files, its not half ass low as IE>
I have downloaded Foxfire & Mozilla in the past, due to cnet.com's recommendations. Not at the same time, I mean trying one then the other. However, both make my system so slow, I needed to delete them.

If you have any recommendations for technical websites for novices, I'd be interested. Thanks very much... VV

Old 08-19-2007, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I agree with BrianH - Norton, from personal experience, can be problematic. We only use Avast in our office and home these days - you can download it for free. Make sure you de-install Norton.

Once you have Avast then check and defrag your entire system. Get rid of your temp files and check your cookies and internet files as well. Good luck!!
JHL -

Thank you very much for the info & recommendation. I will check this out... VV

Old 08-19-2007, 12:47 AM

You said your computer is a laptop, correct? I suspect your memory is one stick of memory, not two.

Memory is referred to as sticks. (Like butter, )

Each stick comes in various sizes. But if you have more than one, each one HAS to be the exact same size and type.

However, one can go bad and the other still work if you have more than one. But if you have two and one is not working right it will make the other wonky (for the lack of a better word for the non-technical).

As far as anti/virus programs, I prefer to use free ones and not use Norton OR MacAfee. Both blot your system. For a list of what you need, see this post: http://www.city-data.com/forum/techn...e-your-pc.html

Liz

Old 08-19-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
While I agree with you two about Norton, without running a HiJack This, nothing can be determined for sure as to the exact cause of her issues. Speculation is dangerous. And a log reader is her best method of finding the problem. To find a log reader, going to the ASAP site and then logging into one of that list is the best method. It is a FREE service provided by those sites, so why NOT use it.

I can read her log but I have been out of the loop for over a year and would not give her the best support. That is why I am suggesting she go to one of the sites listed.

For all we know, she could have picked up a trojan that Norton is unable to fix. It's been known to happen. Liz

Liz -

Thank you so much again. I'm having a bit of trouble deciphering some of the technical info here, as I'm not quite as tech savvy as you. I worked on mainframes long ago & everything I know about PC's (which is modest) I've figured out on my own after encountering problems.

I'll be following your recommendations after I read everything thoroughly so that I understand to the best of my ability what to do. I don't want to make the problems I'm having worse & will take it slowly, so that you don't find me one morning sobbing outside on your doorstep with my laptop draped in black, begging for an electronic healing!

Thanks so much again. I really appreciate all your time! I'll give you some feedback as soon as I've had time to do all you suggested.

Have a great Sunday... VV

Old 08-19-2007, 12:52 AM

If you have problems with anything on that list...

Go to an ASAP website, join, and get help there. They will walk you thru it, holding your hand. Liz

Old 08-19-2007, 12:53 AM

Quote:
You said your computer is a laptop, correct? I suspect your memory is one stick of memory, not two.

Memory is referred to as sticks. (Like butter, )

Each stick comes in various sizes. But if you have more than one, each one HAS to be the exact same size and type.

However, one can go bad and the other still work if you have more than one. But if you have two and one is not working right it will make the other wonky (for the lack of a better word for the non-technical).

As far as anti/virus programs, I prefer to use free ones and not use Norton OR MacAfee. Both blot your system. For a list of what you need, see this post: http://www.city-data.com/forum/techn...e-your-pc.html

Liz
Liz -

Perfect, thanks again. You're a doll.

What more can I say! Huge cybernet hugs to you... VV

Old 08-19-2007, 05:33 AM

7,562 posts, read 16,558,722 times
In a McAfee vs Norton battle id choose neither, id rather use Grisoft.
I use Computer Associates on my new box, but am terribly dissapointed with the package they gave me, and ive told em. The Firewall they use (Tiny I think) is absolutely terrible, and their spyware program is about as usefull as an underwater hairdryer. I do love their Vscan though. Im not sure if they sell the Vscan on its own or not though. *OR* if they do sell the virus scan on its own, but still comes bundled with a (disabled) Firewall and Spyware. I say that because I couldnt install the virus scan alongside my preferred Firewall which is Zone Alarm.

With RAM in laptops, if you have a Gig, they usually (From my experience with laptops personally, and professionally) they usuall split them up. If you have 512 its 256x2 etc.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:44 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,740,732 times
Quote:
To delete temp files, go to your start>run>and then type in "%temp%" without the quotes. Then chose Edit at the top of the folder>select all>and then while holding down the shift key, right click and select the delete. It will delete all it can. If it burbs, hit select all again>this time hold the control key and deselect the top item and then delete the rest, repeat this process til everything you can delete is deleted.

Once you have deleted the temp files out of this folder, close it and then empty your trash can.

Then go here

If you still have issues, go to one of the sites listed here for help. Liz
There's a rather nice utility I've found that removes a lot of unwanted and/or unneeded temp files and other similar files on Windows systems called CCLeaner:

CCleaner

Just FWIW...

While people should be careful when using such software (I always recommend that you make a backup beforehand just in case something goes wrong), I've personally had very good luck with it. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or