Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:28 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,391 times

Advertisements

KittensPurr,

I see your talking about a secure key. Please explain exactly what this is. Is it a device that plugs into your USB port on the laptop, or is it a folder on your hard drive that is password protected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 12:37 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,889,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
Not knowing how old your laptop is, I was wondering if it had a wireless network card? If you do you may be able to go to the local library or university and use their system to access the internet. Lots of times this is free and easy to setup.
Hi Arctic, nice to see you again. Hope you had happy holidays.

My laptop is 4-yrs old & I do have a wireless card (Control Panel says it's SMC IrCC - Fast Infared Port). Due to fragile health right now, I can't commute to the library (yes, our wireless is free at the library, as well as at some Starbucks), all a bus ride away.

Quote:
If you don't know off the top of your head, then you can look in the following place to see if the card is installed and available. One method is to type the service code into Dell's support website to look at the factory hardware configuration.

OR From the Start button you can go to Start, My Network Places, in Network tasks, click on View network connections, Under Lan or high-speed-internet you should see two Local area connections. One will be your local area connection for the plug on the computer, the other should be Wireless network connection. If you have a wireless network connection then we can help you make sure it is set up and when you wish to download some large file a short drive or walk to the library may be the ticket.
See, this is where I get a bit confused on how things work. My wireless card used to be set up so that without trying to, I'd receive messages that I was connected to a particular wireless network, just coming into my home. Obviously, neighbors with unsecured wireless connections - many on my street as they often used the street name in their connection name. If I moved from one side of the room to the next, sometimes it became unavailable & more often than not, every few minutes, it would change from available status to non. The messages were annoying, but I tolerated them.

The connection was almost always low - 1. There were times I would shut off my dialup & attempt to use the "free" wireless drifting into my home... if I could. Sometimes the connection was so low, I wasn't able to download certain sites... especially email. Many times, it was fine for awhile, particularly listening to online radio programs, so I could work, listen & not tie up my phone line.

Now, without making any changes to anything wireless on my system (that I'm aware of), the wireless is in disconnected status but enabled (?) & I can't change that or connect, even though I can see unsecured wireless networks are available... many with a stronger signal than before - 4. Several days ago, it was fine & I was connected to a wireless network, as usual without trying... the signal's just received by my port & I'm connected. Later that day, it just stopped working & obviously my computer "changed". I do notice that the Data Encryption under Properties keeps changing itself from WEP to Disabled, on it's own. When I change it & save, it returns.

I'll have to research to see how I can set it up to retrieve the signal again. But, I don't know what changed it to begin with & this too, is new territory for me, so I muddle through. I'm patient, it just takes time for me to solve my own challenges. I'm also not sure if it's "legal", although, the signal is coming into my home? Can you guide me to something online to read that may help me to get the wireless straightened out & set it up properly? I just use Help & Support from my Startup menu, but often find it ineffective. I guess I need a reliable online site.

The other mystery is that some "things" just appear on my computer. For instance there's a Windows Firewall Tool icon. I never installed a firewall, don't know how the icon appeared, but it sometimes disappears, too. (It was in system tray earlier... now gone). When I find it in Control Panel, it's set to recommended settings. I did not set this up & swear it wasn't there months ago. Or, as I mentioned in the previous post, my Epson printer icon appears today & is going through a continual search for checking printer status. I'm not printing, can't seem to stop the search by cancelling out of it & don't know why it sometimes appears for days, then disappears? These things regularly happen, although I've changed nothing. Odd, yeah?

Thank you for your good wishes post before. Sorry, I didn't see it until I went offline for a few months. I'm doing much better, by the way... just trying to get my strength back, which is going slowly but well. But, I do appreciate all your good thoughts. Pretty soon, it will be springtime again & I'll have the deck bee brigade to deal with...

Thank you so much again for all your help... VV

Old 01-13-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
KittensPurr,

I see your talking about a secure key. Please explain exactly what this is. Is it a device that plugs into your USB port on the laptop, or is it a folder on your hard drive that is password protected?
Hi Arctic -

Yes, USB port backup (E drive). I don't password protect anything, so I don't accidentally forget the PW. I'm the only one using my computer, so it's never an issue. I only use PW's when required - email program, ISP logon, etc. Never any Word files. This is why I can't figure out why I'm denied access to my own Word docs on the secure key. I even deleted all the files from the secure key, recopied them from my Word program & still can't get into any of them. I did do some research on message boards & people do report multiple problems with them... haven't come across my particular problem though.

It's convenient as it's small, although I'd be happy if I could get the external zip to work on this system. Won't work however, even with the suggested downloaded MS patch. Someday soon, I'll attempt again.

I'm just one of those people who likes to know why... makes my life more busy & complicated, but... this is the way I'm hotwired...

Have fun... VV

Old 01-13-2008, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
My laptop is 4-yrs old & I do have a wireless card (Control Panel says it's SMC IrCC - Fast Infared Port). Well this sounds like your looking at the infared port driver, not your wireless connection.

See, this is where I get a bit confused on how things work. My wireless card used to be set up so that without trying to, I'd receive messages that I was connected to a particular wireless network, just coming into my home. Obviously, neighbors with unsecured wireless connections - many on my street as they often used the street name in their connection name. If I moved from one side of the room to the next, sometimes it became unavailable & more often than not, every few minutes, it would change from available status to non. The messages were annoying, but I tolerated them.

The connection was almost always low - 1. There were times I would shut off my dialup & attempt to use the "free" wireless drifting into my home... if I could. Sometimes the connection was so low, I wasn't able to download certain sites... especially email. Many times, it was fine for awhile, particularly listening to online radio programs, so I could work, listen & not tie up my phone line. Unless your using web based email like hotmail dowmloading your email through a program like outlook is possible but best saved for another day. sending through an unknown system will most likely give you errors, but can be worked around if we know the name of the system.

Now, without making any changes to anything wireless on my system (that I'm aware of), the wireless is in disconnected status but enabled (?) & I can't change that or connect, even though I can see unsecured wireless networks are available... many with a stronger signal than before - 4. Several days ago, it was fine & I was connected to a wireless network, as usual without trying... the signal's just received by my port & I'm connected. Later that day, it just stopped working & obviously my computer "changed". I do notice that the Data Encryption under Properties keeps changing itself from WEP to Disabled, on it's own. When I change it & save, it returns. There is a chance that the wireless router your connecting through is being turned off when not present. the encryption you mention changing may also be caused by the router (s) changing as your computer looks for different connections. Different routers may be set up differently and they may have the same name causing more issues.

I'll have to research to see how I can set it up to retrieve the signal again. But, I don't know what changed it to begin with & this too, is new territory for me, so I muddle through. I'm patient, it just takes time for me to solve my own challenges. I'm also not sure if it's "legal", although, the signal is coming into my home? Can you guide me to something online to read that may help me to get the wireless straightened out & set it up properly? I just use Help & Support from my Startup menu, but often find it ineffective. I guess I need a reliable online site. My personal opinion is that anyone running an open wireless connection is allowing others to use their system. If they don't want someone to use it then password the connection. I happen to run an open router but I have over 600 feet from any neighbor who may wish to connect. We did this when the son was still at home and his friends would come over and play the online games etc. I set up a wireless link to the garage and they played their games all weekend with out disturbing me.

The other mystery is that some "things" just appear on my computer. For instance there's a Windows Firewall Tool icon. I never installed a firewall, don't know how the icon appeared, but it sometimes disappears, too. (It was in system tray earlier... now gone). When I find it in Control Panel, it's set to recommended settings. I did not set this up & swear it wasn't there months ago. Windows firewall is part of the system and helps protect your computer. Having the icon in your tray may be part of one of the updates you did, or a setting that may be available in control pannel. Or, as I mentioned in the previous post, my Epson printer icon appears today & is going through a continual search for checking printer status. I'm not printing, can't seem to stop the search by cancelling out of it & don't know why it sometimes appears for days, then disappears? These things regularly happen, although I've changed nothing. Odd, yeah?Tinfoil hat time????

Thank you for your good wishes post before. Sorry, I didn't see it until I went offline for a few months. I'm doing much better, by the way... just trying to get my strength back, which is going slowly but well. But, I do appreciate all your good thoughts. Pretty soon, it will be springtime again & I'll have the deck bee brigade to deal with...

Thank you so much again for all your help... VV
I'm glad to hear your doing better. As your strength returns maybe we can solve a few more issues.

Now back to that secure key, what is it? I am hoping there is a way to unlock the files you "lost".

Look again in your Network places and view network connections. Tell me the names of each icon in dialup and lan or highspeed internet.
till next time.......

Old 01-13-2008, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
Hi Arctic -

Yes, USB port backup (E drive). I don't password protect anything, so I don't accidentally forget the PW. I'm the only one using my computer, so it's never an issue. I only use PW's when required - email program, ISP logon, etc. Never any Word files. This is why I can't figure out why I'm denied access to my own Word docs on the secure key. I even deleted all the files from the secure key, recopied them from my Word program & still can't get into any of them. I did do some research on message boards & people do report multiple problems with them... haven't come across my particular problem though.

It's convenient as it's small, although I'd be happy if I could get the external zip to work on this system. Won't work however, even with the suggested downloaded MS patch. Someday soon, I'll attempt again.

I'm just one of those people who likes to know why... makes my life more busy & complicated, but... this is the way I'm hotwired...

Have fun... VV
I guess I missed this post while typing a response to the other.

I would suggest a test to narrow the problem on your secure key usb device.
Open Notepad (a simple text editor) Start, all Programs, Accessories, Notepad. Now type something into it and do a Save As. Name it test and save to the E: drive. Do your undock procedure to remove the device and take it away for a minute or two. Plug it back in and open the E: drive window. See if you can open the file. If yes this may be a WORD problem. If not, then I would suspect the secure key may be faulty. Try your secure key in someone elses computer to see if it works. Can you read the files on it?

Remind me of what kind of zip drive you have and how it connects to the computer. You may have to go to https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com/cg...ci/product.php (iomega support website for downloads) find your drive and download new updates for it. Since XP service pack2 one has to update the drivers for the zip drives. Though Microsoft has good drivers, usually it is best to go to the manufacturer.

Lastly didn't you mention you had to reinstall windows and you may have two windows folders, like windows and windows1? If so your Word files may still be in the "old" windows folder. Long shot but may be worth a hunt.

Rest easy.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:48 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
Yes, you're supposed to update the thread. I was laughing because I came in and answered the thread without realizing it was the same one.

I use Google. In this case I only searched on 0x0000007e because the rest of the value will change depending.

The printer icon might show up when it's looking for updates, which it should only do every x days, and that is why it's not always there.

Secure key (assuming flash drive here):

Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management

What you're looking for here are drive letters. Usually a flash drive is drive E: or F:. If, for some reason another device is using this letter it can cause problems (You have card readers on your printer?). Look at the drive in the list on the right.

Plug in your flash drive, wait until it loads, then go to the Action pull down menu and click refresh. Watch for the new drive letter on the right side. That's the flash drive.

Right click on the flash drive. Click on Change drive letter and paths. Click on Change. Choose a different letter (M: is a safe choice). Remember you can change this back. Click on OK, click on Yes. The drive letter should change in the listing.

Left click on the icon in the system tray that shows the removable devices (gray box with a green arrow above it) and click on the drive letter for the flash drive. Remove the drive. Replace the drive.

Can you access the files?

Another way to test this: Almost forgot. Turn off computer, unplug printer, start computer, plug in flash. If the printer and it's readers is part of the problem this can sometimes resolve it. If it works then using the change letter above will help.

If the printer is always plugged in a better solution would be to find the letter the flash wants and change the letter on the printer instead. More permanent.

---------------------------------------------------------

Flash drive again: Have you tried Safe Mode and logging in as Administrator? You get to Safe Mode by pressing F8 during boot. About once a second until a menu shows up. Pick Safe Mode from the menu. Sometimes an Administrator can access things others can't. The above is a bit of a long shot, but...

The pub date was a reference to meeting in the UK from an earlier post. I haven't gone back through so perhaps I'm in the wrong thread. Been known to happen.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 01-13-2008 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: Added

Old 01-13-2008, 07:34 PM

Hi Arctic & Tek -

I'll get back to you tomorrow or the day after on your posts. Just wanted to acknowledge that I appreciate them, but will need some time to be able to absorb them & work through the suggestions. Blizzard coming, so I'll be shoveling my little heart out for awhile... very soon...

Thank you... Back soon... VV

Old 01-13-2008, 09:26 PM

Well you can send it on up here, haven't one of those in years! Need the snow!

Old 01-13-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Well you can send it on up here, haven't one of those in years! Need the snow!
Arctic... If you have no snow... I may come up rather than send the snow! I've had my fill of shovels, sanders, salting, plows at 3am waking me...

I do have lovely, firm bicepts though, from digging out my car, sidewalk, 40-ft alleyway, 1st floor deck/stairs, my 81-yr old neighbor's walkway... over & over all the live-long-day... And, then there's that lovely aroma of BenGay wafting through the house once I'm finished... No wonder my computer has "issues"... it's choking.

Ah, gee... I think I may start hanging out on the HI board...

Have fun... VV

Old 01-13-2008, 11:32 PM

Where I live I do the plowing of the yard and 600 feet to the road. Just shovel one deck and a few stairs.
Now before you hop on the plane its -25 today and looking for -40 tonight. the attatched thread give you an idea of the snow level in the front yard. Notice the plug on the truck too!

The Alaska Chat Thread

Ah! I remember the smell of Ben Gay! Just one of the many reasons to have children, Youth and Vigor!

HI? Yes our cousins to the southwest. When things get really really bad we remember that Paradise is only 6 hours away.

Stay warm! Arcticthaw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers