Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 07:09 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,113 times

Advertisements

Hello All -

I was hoping to seek the advice of a guru to perhaps make a few suggestions.

I have a 3-yr old Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop
OS is Win XP, Service Pack 2
Pentium M, 1400 Mhz
1.4Ghz, 512MB RAM
Virus software: Norton AntiVirus (I have it set to automatically update .dat files)
Windows Update is set to update on its own

I have several problems:

1. Due to freezing, I’ve had to reformat my hardrive at least 12 times in 3-yrs. I’ve also had to System Restore 12-times, but when it won’t allow me to (error message saying it cannot be restored to previous dates), I must reformat instead.

2. I have system failure/out of memory messages upon startup, regularly. I have to bypass it by shutting down, then powering up again, choosing “Start Windows Normally” & hope it runs. Sometimes, I must do this 3 times before it can load Windows. It happens about twice/mo for 1-yr now. I last reformatted 2-mos ago.

3. My system is so slow. I have a dial-up account, so I know the ‘net will be slow, but so is the computer when loading programs or opening documents when I’m not on the ‘net. I disk clean every other day as I’ve noticed I have tens of thousands of Temporary Internet files everytime I power up. This is even if there hasn’t been an abnormal reboot. Is there some sort of setting to not save the Temp ‘net files so I can prevent this? I can’t seem to find anything. Perhaps it’s normal?

4. I have to defrag every 2-mos. When I choose Analyze, it tells me to defrag disk. Is that due to continually deleting temp files? I've never had a computer that required defragging more often than 1-2 times/yr. I don't run alot of programs, no games, for instance, don't use paint programs, I just use Word & have 300-documents (nothing weighty, just letters).

Any ideas would be appreciated. I’d prefer to take care of it myself rather than bring it to someone to repair, mainly for expense purposes. I’ve also had a bad experience with a supposedly reputable shop replacing my new parts with old ones (I only retrieved them by shouting in their shop for about 15-min & they sheepishy began to remove them from 2 other computers to hand back to me), so I’d rather not leave my laptop with anyone, unless absolutely necessary. I know I can bring in a techie to my home, but I've found they often know less than I (anyone can print up an "I'm an expert" card these days) & honestly I can't afford it just now.

Thank you so much! I'm going to light a bowl of sage & begin chanting over "the machine" again to see what happens. Namaste...VV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 07:39 PM

3,290 posts, read 9,186,341 times
To delete temp files, go to your start>run>and then type in "%temp%" without the quotes. Then chose Edit at the top of the folder>select all>and then while holding down the shift key, right click and select the delete. It will delete all it can. If it burbs, hit select all again>this time hold the control key and deselect the top item and then delete the rest, repeat this process til everything you can delete is deleted.

Once you have deleted the temp files out of this folder, close it and then empty your trash can.

Then go here

If you still have issues, go to one of the sites listed here for help. Liz

Last edited by southernlady5464; 08-12-2007 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-13-2007, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
To delete temp files, go to your start>run>and then type in "%temp%" without the quotes. Then chose Edit at the top of the folder>select all>and then while holding down the shift key, right click and select the delete. It will delete all it can. If it burbs, hit select all again>this time hold the control key and deselect the top item and then delete the rest, repeat this process til everything you can delete is deleted.

Once you have deleted the temp files out of this folder, close it and then empty your trash can.

Then go here

If you still have issues, go to one of the sites listed here for help. Liz
Liz -

Thank you. I know how to delete temp files, there's several ways to do it & I do it every other day. One of the things I wondered about was why I'm getting so many saved Temporary Internet Files. I don't have many Temp Files, as you've mentioned here. They can be deleted easier by using the Systems Tools Disk Cleanup. Saves a lot of steps. I think you're misunderstanding my post but thanks for replying... VV

Old 08-13-2007, 03:05 AM

2 posts, read 6,376 times
Look You run on XP you got to face trouble.XP is primitive and going by current stats it is out of the equation.The commonly used OS in modern times are vista,linux and ubuntu.They are better equiped to fight viruses.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:33 AM

Quote:
One of the things I wondered about was why I'm getting so many saved Temporary Internet Files.
That's just the nature of the beast...esp if you use IE as your browser. Even if you don't, you still get plenty. I don't know why, but M$ likes to load you up with them. Liz

Old 08-13-2007, 07:36 AM

KittensPurr, one of the things I was suggesting was for you to get help at an ASAP site.

The reason being is that some of your computer's behavior suggests that you might have some things going on that can be cleaned out.

I don't do that work any longer due to my health but I will tell you the starting instructions prior to getting the help needed.

So, prior to posting your log file on one of the ASAP sites, do this:

Security Steps for a Security Forum

Please perform the following prior to posting an HJT log, The following steps will likely clean most of the garbage from your system,

First
Download Ad-Aware SE
Use the: “Check for Updates Now” option and download the latest reference files
Use the Start button, and on the next window, select: Perform Full System Scan
Press Next, and let Ad-aware scan the hard drive
When finished, right-click the window with the entries, choose: Select All from the menu, and click Next
Once AdAware has removed the entries, close the program
Restart the computer

Next
Download the latest version of Spybot
Please check it for updates, Run the program and have it fix anything it finds in Red.

Restart your computer,

Next
Update your Anti Virus

Next
Reboot to safe mode

Delete the entire contents of the below Temp folders, but not the TEMP folder itself.

Remove all the files and sub-folders from the below TEMP Folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\ \Local Settings\Temp
C:\temp
C:\windows\temp

The TIF ( Temporary Internet Files) can also be emptied via:
Internet Explorer--Tools--Internet Options--General tab--"Delete Files",
Also tick the "delete all offline content" box .

Clean out your Recycle Bin

Next
Run a full system scan with your Anti Virus,

Run a scan with Ad-aware, Have it fix anything it finds,
Run a scan with Spybot, Again have it fix anything it finds

Next
Restart your computer,

Next

Free online scan (at least one...and most use IE not Firefox)

Free Virus Scan - Kaspersky Lab
Free online antivirus. Download ActiveScan and clean your PC. Panda Security
Online malware scan
Trend Micro HouseCall - Free Online Virus and Spyware Scan
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx (broken link)

Run a scan. Be sure and Check Auto Clean. Make a note of anything it can’t remove

Next
Go to TrendMicro - Free Online Scan
Be sure and check Auto Clean before you do the scan. If it finds anything that it cannot clean have it delete it or make a note of the file location so you can delete it yourself.

Next

Please go to HiJackThis and unzip the newest version into a new dedicated folder,

Create a folder on the C: drive called C:\Programs\HJT.
Unzip HijackThis into this folder. Launch Hijack This, then "Do a system scan and save log file".

This will generate a text file that will list all running processes, all applications that are loaded automatically when you start Windows, and more.
Most things are harmless and needed so don't make any changes.

Then go to ASAP and pick a site from the list on the left side. Go to the forums, sign in as a member and look for the proper security section.

Your likely to get help quicker if you start your own thread, Post a log in a new thread started by you please. Posting a HJT log in someone else's thread gets to confusing and there is a good chance it will get overlooked.

Make sure you post the contents of the text file as a copy and paste...do not attach it as an attachment. Liz

Old 08-13-2007, 11:14 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
Well, slowness is slikely helped by Norton, you need to unisntall and get a more RAM friendly scan.

It may be hardware thats slowing you down too. If you have two sticks of RAM try to boot to each stick individually, and see if its faster, slower or just the same.

Use Firefox for the temp internet files, its not half ass low as IE>

Old 08-13-2007, 12:05 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
I agree with BrianH - Norton, from personal experience, can be problematic. We only use Avast in our office and home these days - you can download it for free. Make sure you de-install Norton.

Once you have Avast then check and defrag your entire system. Get rid of your temp files and check your cookies and internet files as well. Good luck!!

Old 08-13-2007, 12:20 PM

While I agree with you two about Norton, without running a HiJack This, nothing can be determined for sure as to the exact cause of her issues. Speculation is dangerous. And a log reader is her best method of finding the problem. To find a log reader, going to the ASAP site and then logging into one of that list is the best method. It is a FREE service provided by those sites, so why NOT use it.

Quote:
If you see the ASAP logo or banner used by a website, bulletin board, or individual, you can be assured that you're getting the best support and assistance possible, as the combined efforts of all ASAP members are involved in helping everyone, and ASAP won't give up until your important investment is safe and clean.

ASAP is a non-profit, volunteer network.
I can read her log but I have been out of the loop for over a year and would not give her the best support. That is why I am suggesting she go to one of the sites listed.

For all we know, she could have picked up a trojan that Norton is unable to fix. It's been known to happen. Liz

Old 08-18-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marketvgk View Post
Look You run on XP you got to face trouble.XP is primitive and going by current stats it is out of the equation.The commonly used OS in modern times are vista,linux and ubuntu.They are better equiped to fight viruses.
LOL Calm down or you're gonna give yourself heart palpatations.

This is the system I have. My questions were on this OS.

Relax. It's not life or death. It's just software/hardware. I'll survive. I just need a little guidance from those who know how to work around it/fix it & are willing to offer info on how I can do that.

Now breathe deeply & go back to your Ubuntu.

Last edited by Baltic_Celt; 08-19-2007 at 12:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers