U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2007, 08:29 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,506,908 times

Advertisements

Hello All -

I’m suddenly having a problem retrieving Word documents from my secure key for my Dell Inspiron 8600. I long ago copied all my documents onto it (using Command Prompt), which was fine & for years I’ve easily saved/opened docs on my backup secure key & harddrive. Recently, upon trying to recopy documents prior to a reformat, I was unable to do so, getting an error message “Unable to copy file” using the Copy *.* e: command. I then tried to open ½ the documents that wouldn’t allow me access & use the “Save As” tool to safe it on the key, but I got a “Denied Access” message. What did I do? Did I password myself out of ½ my files? I even tried to copy the secure key files to a floppy in the a:, thinking I’d try everything & anything & it didn’t work either. Now, everytime I save a document onto the secure key, I'm denied access if trying to copy it to c:.

I’ve searched thru Help & tried to find any info on Cnet.com, but am unable to find anything. Anyone have any ideas or know of any websites that could help me? By the way, yes, before my 3-yr extended warranty expired, I tried calling Technical Support in India, many times. It was hopeless with communication problems due to scant understanding of English & technical issues in general, so I gave up & instead try to solve my computer problems myself. I’ve learned a lot, fixed a lot, but some things surely make me feel like Dorothy bowing down before Oz, waiting for the almighty answer to the tiny little secure key that holds all my worth. Blasted technology!

I humbly thank you… Documentless & Afloat in Boston Harbor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 08:43 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,406,488 times
Okay, this one is beyond my expertise...I think you need a MVP expert on M$ Office. Liz

Old 08-12-2007, 08:55 PM

Okay, I've been googling this...apparently system failure can affect a secure key...which means you might be SOL. Short of taking the hard drive out and putting it in another computer to access it, I can't see another way to make this work. Is this a desktop or a laptop computer? Liz

Old 08-13-2007, 01:23 AM

Hi SL -

Thank you for taking the time to respond & research. I'm a little lost though.

What is "MVP expert on M$ Office"?
Also, what does it mean when you say "you might be SOL"?

I don't see how taking out the harddrive to place it in another system will help anything related to this. The system never failed while I was using the key. I use it as backup for my Word documents only. Simple Unix copy command in the Command Prompt. It plugs into a USB port, which is working fine with other peripherals. What am I missing in what you're saying?

Inspiron is a laptop. 8600 series.

Thank you for your time. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it... VV

Old 08-13-2007, 07:31 AM

If it's a laptop, taking out the hard drive is not an option.

Had it been a desktop, it might have helped. Then you could have made it a secondary drive to another primary operating system and maybe override the current failing operating system which I suspect is behind the problems you are having.

SOL is shorthand for S##T out of Luck.

MVP's are acknowledged expects in different fields. (Microsoft Most Valuable Professionals) and the one field you might need would be the one in Microsoft Office...

Not sure what you can do but one of those guys/gals might be able to help. Liz

Old 08-19-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
If it's a laptop, taking out the hard drive is not an option.

Had it been a desktop, it might have helped. Then you could have made it a secondary drive to another primary operating system and maybe override the current failing operating system which I suspect is behind the problems you are having.

SOL is shorthand for S##T out of Luck.

MVP's are acknowledged expects in different fields. (Microsoft Most Valuable Professionals) and the one field you might need would be the one in Microsoft Office...

Not sure what you can do but one of those guys/gals might be able to help. Liz
Again, Liz, thank you so much for your time & patience with my novice questions. I certainly appreciate your links, in my posts as well as others, as I had no idea sites existed for free support.

It will take some time for me to search through & find specifics for my problems (more seem to be popping up daily), but now I have a guide & if I do end up having to take my quirky laptop & non-functioning PC to a shop for repairs, at least I'll have a better idea of what may need to be done or at very least, be able to follow their side of the conversation.

I'd like to ask one more question. You mentioned a failing OS. What does this mean? If I've reformatted the harddrive & re-installed the OS, isn't that a brand new copy? In other words, would doing the same procedure again fix a "failing OS"?

Thank you for all your time spent in the Tech forum... VV

Old 08-19-2007, 01:24 PM

Reinstalling will fix a failing OS (Operating System), called reformatting.

By reinstalling the operating system, it thinks it's brand new again. The thing is, you have to make sure all your hardware is in working condition. That all the drivers work, and that all the programs you load onto the system after you reinstall are compatible.

Now, drivers...they are the bits of software that make the programs or hardware be able to talk to the operating system. You have to have a driver for your printer to work properly. You have to have a driver for your monitor to work properly. And each of those drivers come from the manufacturers of the piece of equipment that you are adding to your computer. Even tho your computer comes with a monitor (since it's a laptop) it still has a monitor driver.

But a failing operating system will screw up a current hard drive. And reinstalling the operating system ti fix it will erase EVERYTHING on the hard drive.

That's why I also have an external hard drive attached to my laptop and routinely save everything to that instead of my laptop's hard drive. That way, if my laptop started to act stupid and needed to be reformatted, I would not lost anything saved on my external hard drive. I would still have everything in the My Documents folder (I have one there on my external hard drive). I have a My Pictures folder there.

Plus, I have the external hard drive because I was running out of space on my laptop's hard drive. It may be a 100 gig hard drive but it is over 1/2 full and I have over 40 gigs of stuff on my external hard drive now and still putting stuff there. (I have a 300 gig external). I have many photos and files.

The other advantage of an external is that if I need to get something from another computer, I can hook it up to that one and move it to my external hard drive. And since I live in a hurricane zone, if we have to evacuate, I can take the external and leave the rest of the computer behind and still have all my files with me. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or