Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 06:31 PM

110 posts, read 193,694 times

Advertisements

Hey anyone going to college or back to college here is the student deal from microsoft Microsoft Store Online - Office Professional Academic 2010 this will save you a lot of money but give more for the money the office suite that you get 4 basic items you get all that you will need through your college this is a fantastic deal no matter what, do not believe me just check with the different stores what this office suite will cost you then you will see, Ok good luck and have fun oh and to save some hassles just download this program using Internet Explorer then go back to the one you normally use it will save a bunch of hassles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 06:58 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
As an alternative, try Open Office

OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite

which is free! Can't beat that!

You can also try LaTeX which also free

LaTeX

it does word processing and can even be converted into a PowerPoint presentation. Both produce documents in pdf format. LaTeX is more difficult to learn but it's worth it as it produces very nice documents.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:56 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
As an alternative, try Open Office
Yeah, I use Open Office on my Mac.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 01-03-2012 at 09:26 PM..

Old 08-02-2011, 10:19 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,437,430 times
Guys, open office is dead, Libre Office rules the open source doc suite now

Old 08-03-2011, 01:45 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Guys, open office is dead, Libre Office rules the open source doc suite now
But Libre Office sucks similarly compared to MS Office. Libre Office is certainly adequate, but it is slow and it looks oh so eight years old or more.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:54 PM

I'm sure for hardcore users (aka people who use it daily as a tool to get work done) would find it antiquated and maybe even useless, but it does pack the same features office does, and for me (who uses it to jot down stuff every so often, or to write a letter maybe?) it works fine for me.

In fact, to be honest, I don't even use Libre anymore now that Google has their own Doc thing.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:13 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
I'm sure for hardcore users (aka people who use it daily as a tool to get work done) would find it antiquated and maybe even useless, but it does pack the same features office does, and for me (who uses it to jot down stuff every so often, or to write a letter maybe?) it works fine for me.

In fact, to be honest, I don't even use Libre anymore now that Google has their own Doc thing.
The real point is that Libre does NOT "pack" the same features Office does. It has a complete set of the base things many people want. But anyone accustomed to Office would be disappointed by the limitations of Libre. Even if you set aside the learning curve issue, Libre is simply less powerful and less usable than Office. A "power" Excel user might be the most dissatisfied with Libre.

Libre is free, and it is adequate. I have it, mostly to stay aware of what is happening with open source office software. It is not completely compatible with Excel. MS Office is the "standard" for a reason.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The real point is that Libre does NOT "pack" the same features Office does.
Like what?

I mean, if it were eye to eye with MS office, I would expect it to not be free.

The main reason Office is so popular (at least at my workplace) is it's licensing methods and overall control via a few control elements we have. Plus there isn't really anything else out there to compete.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:40 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
What if you have a need to use certain Excel add-ins for say, financial analysis? Do they exist for LibreOffice, or can LibreOffice Calc use Excel add-ins?

Old 08-03-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
What if you have a need to use certain Excel add-ins for say, financial analysis? Do they exist for LibreOffice, or can LibreOffice Calc use Excel add-ins?
Probably not, I would imagine those are proprietary (well, maybe not proprietary, but compatible is perhaps a better word) - but I honestly have zero clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers