Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 02:18 PM

445 posts, read 1,605,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Windows7 is the best OS Microsoft has put out.

One useless but cool feature which I never use but always show people.
- If you have a lot of windows open... or even just more then one, you can grab the top bar of a Window with your mouse and shake it back and forth: every other window will automatically minimize.
I just tried that and it didn't work I shook it many times and all the other windows just kept looking at me.. If you shake it more than twice - nevermind that is something else

But all seriousness aside, I screamed as I stumbled thru the first several months with Windows 7. I am an old dos dog - XP came out and I spent millions of hours working with it - So windows 7 decides to just move things around in control panel etc It took along time to use and remember and UNremember XP I still hate the way explorer acts even with the add-in I found. Just be patient - you will be happier with the stability of 7..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 04:22 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,437,932 times
One of the most annoying things about Win7 (I actually think they changed this in Vista but I digress) is that they renamed "Add/Remove Programs" to "Programs and Features" - you'd think I would just start looking for "Programs and Features" but for whatever reason, my eyes go straight to the top of the list to look for Add/Remove...then my mind has a quick panic attack and then my eyes start scanning around the mid-bottom area for the dang icon....

Old 08-29-2011, 06:51 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
Great info! Thanks! I consider myself a savvy user. I think I will give the Windows 7 a chance. I had Vista on my laptop and it was a mess. But I really like XP. Now I just have to learn the Microsoft Office 2010 and the new Quicken Home and Business 2011. Quicken is so complex. I wish Microsoft would have kept their Microsoft Money versions.
I just remembered something I meant to mention in my previous post but it slipped my mind. You could create another partition and install XP as a secondary OS. When I first upgraded to Windows7 this is how I had my PC set up. I eventually deleted XP though because I found that I never used it anymore. I think you would most likely never use XP once you get used to Windows7.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:51 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
One of the most annoying things about Win7 (I actually think they changed this in Vista but I digress) is that they renamed "Add/Remove Programs" to "Programs and Features" -
lol Right on. It took me 6 months to stop looking at the top of the list. But I do like how the Control Panel is searchable. I can never find the Power Settings. So I just search for POWER and it pulls it up.

Treenoid: I can't believe it doesn't work for you? Maybe you are shaking to vigourously? It only takes like two shakes left and right.

The only thing I HATE about Windows7 is how they changed searching the drives. How do you search for files that are larger then 100 MB? It was so much easier on XP. That is one serious step backward.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:23 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
Quote:
The only thing I HATE about Windows7 is how they changed searching the drives. How do you search for files that are larger then 100 MB? It was so much easier on XP. That is one serious step backward.
Once you get to the search window (Windows + F) then hit the advanced button at the top right, and you should be able to set the file size there.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:00 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
One of the most annoying things about Win7 (I actually think they changed this in Vista but I digress) is that they renamed "Add/Remove Programs" to "Programs and Features" - you'd think I would just start looking for "Programs and Features" but for whatever reason, my eyes go straight to the top of the list to look for Add/Remove...then my mind has a quick panic attack and then my eyes start scanning around the mid-bottom area for the dang icon....
I never noticed because I always use Ccleaner to do this.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:02 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
lol Right on. It took me 6 months to stop looking at the top of the list. But I do like how the Control Panel is searchable. I can never find the Power Settings. So I just search for POWER and it pulls it up.

Treenoid: I can't believe it doesn't work for you? Maybe you are shaking to vigourously? It only takes like two shakes left and right.

Just type "size:large" in the search box and it will find files between 1 - 16 MB. Huge (16 - 128) and gigantic (>128MB) are also options.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:52 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,437,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I never noticed because I always use Ccleaner to do this.
I do use Ccleaner at home for just about all my installation and startup woes, but here at work I grow tired of installing it 300 times in a day :P

Old 09-01-2011, 01:19 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
The "snap" feature is very useful on a wide monitor - for looking at two documents side by side or copying files from one folder to another.

But the Win7 feature I use constantly is taskbar "peek" - hover the mouse over a tasbar icon and you will see thumbnails of each window. If you use IE, you will thumbnails of each tab. Firefox can do this but it is turned off by default. If you move your mouse while hovering to one of the thumbnails it will temporarily pop up as a normal size window. Great for the "what did that page say?" situation.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:22 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The "snap" feature is very useful on a wide monitor - for looking at two documents side by side or copying files from one folder to another.

But the Win7 feature I use constantly is taskbar "peek" - hover the mouse over a tasbar icon and you will see thumbnails of each window. If you use IE, you will thumbnails of each tab. Firefox can do this but it is turned off by default. If you move your mouse while hovering to one of the thumbnails it will temporarily pop up as a normal size window. Great for the "what did that page say?" situation.
It is? I use it all the time and have no recollection of having to tell FF to do so. In fact if you right click the FF icon in the taskbar you can open a new browser session. Can't to that in IE. Or at least I haven't found out how to yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers