Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 01:01 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,833,765 times

Advertisements

Where oh Where do I post this?

Internet or Computers

You win

Here goes the gibberish ...

Right now, I have Verizon's DSL and Landline phone service.

I have Comcast cable which alone is costing me over $90.00 a month!

Verizon has a special (no contracts) for Fios which will include .. internet, phone and Television for $79.00 a month for one year!

I have been without my cable for over a week now (comcast) due to Irene.

My neighbors, who have Fios never lost their TV or internet.

(I didn't lose my Verizon dsl or phone connection either.)

I'm thinking of going to fios but not sure of the complications .. Inside of the house?

Will they have to drill holes and run more cable within the house?

Can I still run my main TV downstairs and receive tv upstairs?

With the Comcast connection .. I have their box downstairs and upstairs I have basic cable coming from the wall connection.

If anyone has made this change-over .. was it hard and .. was it worth it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 07:41 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
We had FiOS for several years (Just moved outside of their service area or I'd still have it.), and it absolutely rocks! The service is blazing fast and incredibly stable.

The installation is fairly simple. They'll put a new box on the outside of the house (next to the cable box), and replace the cable modem with a FiOS Router. All of your TV's and computers will just work again the same as they do now.

The only difference may be that you need a box on the TV upstairs, but you'll have to check with Verizon (We had boxes on each TV, but had full programing on both TV's).

Old 09-04-2011, 10:14 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,437,430 times
No complications, they do it all of course...no work on your part (why would there be?). I absolutely LOOOOOVE my FIOS. I'm moving soon and I'm going to be very, very heartbroken if we can't get FIOS in our new apartment (haven't chosen an apt yet).

We don't need the phone but it was cheaper with it than without (bundle deal). The box sucks sometimes (motorola box, gets hung up and sometimes takes a long time to think about what it's doing) and the VOD sucks, never has worked. Channels are alright I guess but I miss BBCA and speed and G4 those kinds of channels.

I have zero complaints about the internet portion of FIOS. Since day one I've consistently hit 20mb down 6 up (I pay for 15/5), never has gone down in almost a year. Rock solid, I love it.

Also if your house isn't already equipped with MoCA lines, you'll have to get wired, but again they do that for you.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:47 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,096,877 times
I have Verizon Fios, internet, tv, and phone service. What I like about the phone is that it's got a battery back up so if Fio's goes out the phones still work.

Internet is fast.. tv is good but tv is slow to load gadgets, like the widgets or sometimes when using the remote to view tv selections it's so freakin' slow to scroll up or down, so I'll keep pressing the buttons and then suddenly it'll work really fast. Thats really the only main complaint I have and I don't think that's a tv remote issue but a signal problem with Fios. The Fios repairman said quite a few people complain about that.

When I had Fios installed originally the repairman hooked it up to my existing cable that was running throughout the house. That caused many problems and I had repair here just about every month for either the internet or the tv's because some of the cables were the skinny ones and weren't strong enough to send the signal.

After telling the latest repairman about this, he just ran a new line outside the house and everything has worked fine since.

Oh.. to get Fios they have to run the line from the street to your house. They dug up the street in front of my house to put the line through, and they dug up a small section of my lawn in a straight line to the house to put in the box. I was amazed at how neat they were. You couldn't even tell that they dug up my grassy lawn at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers