U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2011, 04:10 PM
 
3,614 posts, read 1,544,290 times
Reputation: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
I have 0 interest on ever using more than 1 monitor. I.. I don't see the point. I have my gaming systems hooked on my TV, and with them I stream Hulu, Netflix, and Playon. I have 0 interest in using my TV w/ my PC.
You'd be surprised. I never imagined why anyone would want to use more than one monitor. Then I went to school.

Then again, I don't know many games that take advantage of the second monitor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-17-2011, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Upstate SC!
2,350 posts, read 2,113,751 times
Reputation: 1437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
You'd be surprised. I never imagined why anyone would want to use more than one monitor. Then I went to school.

Then again, I don't know many games that take advantage of the second monitor.
I have 3 on my desktop (two machines with two each, the center monitor shared). I've had at least two monitors on my work machines for the better part of 8 years, and it seriously impacts what I can get done (not constantly switching back and forth on a single monitor). At some point I'm going to grab a cheap PCI video card and add the third monitor to my main work rig.

That said; I don't run a single game on both second monitors (I know that I have some that can).

Where I find it useful in gaming is having my Steam windows, server monitor app, a game wiki, web page, or Vent on the second monitor while playing on the first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2011, 07:29 PM
 
2,187 posts, read 2,432,168 times
Reputation: 1122
I find it difficult to use a computer without 2+ monitors nowadays. I guess I'm just spoiled. I hate using one monitor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2011, 08:37 PM
 
20,097 posts, read 14,641,209 times
Reputation: 9118
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
I find it difficult to use a computer without 2+ monitors nowadays. I guess I'm just spoiled. I hate using one monitor
Mary Czerwinski (brilliant, cognitive psych, btw) did a study that determined that three 30" monitors is the most productive setup for a modern cubicle. What was interesting was that she discovered a single 30" monitor is more productive than two 24" monitors. She basically determined that you should go big, then expand out. Her study was limited to personal desks... but the indicated that in an ideal setting, the larger the monitor the better.

It may or may not translate into gaming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2011, 10:44 PM
 
Location: Whittier
2,096 posts, read 2,165,696 times
Reputation: 1513
Yeah I've wanted to get another monitor for a long time. I'd use it for audio editing with a mixer and VSTs on one side and the audio editor on the other.

I guess for daily use I'd use it for gaming on one monitor and the internet (walkthhroughs) on the other.

OR whatever else.

I really love virtual desktops but hate the way it's implemented in windows: Desktops

I'd love a free Ubuntu-like or even Mac-like multiple desktop that looks pretty.

Expo - Show Virtual Desktops - Tips Tricks - Ubuntu 9.04 with Compiz - YouTube

Although I could do without the flames and other shiny things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2011, 12:22 AM
 
658 posts, read 647,844 times
Reputation: 788
sounds to me like you have a pretty good set up there, i started out with a prefab pc (acer M330) prolly paid more than needed for it, but at the time i was working and lazy and didnt feel like piecing a compy together, specs were originally amd phenom II x4 at 2.4 ghz, 6 gb of ddr3 ram, not sure of the mobo, 1 tb hard drive, cd/dvd burner, realtek 7.1 hd audio, and a ati radeon hd 3200 (i think) all ive done to it is upgrade the graphics card to a gigabyte nvidia geforce gtx560 ti soc (super overclock edition) and added a 650w power supply (cant thing of the brand atm) and so far ive had no problems playing anything, unless my card overheats (which happens occasionally, need better airflow)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2011, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Northeast NE
696 posts, read 868,933 times
Reputation: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
FIRST AND FOREMOST:

I'd actually suggest getting two or more PCIe x16 slots, for two reasons.

1. SLI or CrossFire. If you run two identical cards, you can double your video power. Great for running Crysis at medium settings.

This is not true. You will not double your video power.
Also quite often it more cost effective to get one more powerful card then two lower power ones.
Then there is the problem with sli not working with many programs/games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2011, 11:51 PM
 
3,614 posts, read 1,544,290 times
Reputation: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Mary Czerwinski (brilliant, cognitive psych, btw) did a study that determined that three 30" monitors is the most productive setup for a modern cubicle. What was interesting was that she discovered a single 30" monitor is more productive than two 24" monitors. She basically determined that you should go big, then expand out. Her study was limited to personal desks... but the indicated that in an ideal setting, the larger the monitor the better.

It may or may not translate into gaming.
I'm curious why that is. Citation?

I'm running a mere 24" and a 19", (22", 19" in college), and I work just fine. Increasing physical screensize doesn't necessarily translate into any more real-estate. You're still limited to resolution. At 30," I imagine you have a a 1920x1200 resolution, which means you can watch a Blu-Ray and still see your start-menu, but I can't see a benefit to the addition 100 pixel height. I'm extremely curious about this study. I've got the feeling it has some major flaws. I definitely want to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe_T3K View Post
This is not true. You will not double your video power.
Depending on your benchmark, 60% is pretty average. I was being somewhat hyperbolous. But, you are right it often depends on games. For those that take advantage of it, your performance increases could be more, or less.

Quote:
Also quite often it more cost effective to get one more powerful card then two lower power ones.
Three years down the road, it's often cheaper to buy a cheap matching card than a new-model mid-grade one, and get better performance for it. Or run more than two monitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 11:57 AM
 
2,187 posts, read 2,432,168 times
Reputation: 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
I'm curious why that is. Citation?

I'm running a mere 24" and a 19", (22", 19" in college), and I work just fine. Increasing physical screensize doesn't necessarily translate into any more real-estate. You're still limited to resolution. At 30," I imagine you have a a 1920x1200 resolution, which means you can watch a Blu-Ray and still see your start-menu, but I can't see a benefit to the addition 100 pixel height. I'm extremely curious about this study. I've got the feeling it has some major flaws. I definitely want to see it.
Firstly I'll just say that having non-matching monitors bugs the holy hell outta me. I would not be able to do that. That alone would decrease my working efficiency by a bit. "Just fine" isn't "the best" - if the study has good reason for their claims, I'd read into it a little more.

But, at 30" you could have 2560x1600, which is a pretty huge increase in real estate. Granted, for the price, I'd rather not

I have dual 23" @ 1080p and I like them. If I could get a 3rd, I probably would...but I just think SLI is a waste right now. Double the power consumption for around half the efficiency, I'm not into that.

Plus it's a headache to deal with sometimes, depending on the application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 12:02 PM
 
3,614 posts, read 1,544,290 times
Reputation: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Firstly I'll just say that having non-matching monitors bugs the holy hell outta me. I would not be able to do that. That alone would decrease my working efficiency by a bit. "Just fine" isn't "the best" - if the study has good reason for their claims, I'd read into it a little more.

But, at 30" you could have 2560x1600, which is a pretty huge increase in real estate. Granted, for the price, I'd rather not

I have dual 23" @ 1080p and I like them. If I could get a 3rd, I probably would...but I just think SLI is a waste right now. Double the power consumption for around half the efficiency, I'm not into that.

Plus it's a headache to deal with sometimes, depending on the application.
If you're gaming on a budget, a mid-grade card now, and one two years down the road would be more cost efficient than continually buying mid-grade cards every few years, and provide better benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:37 PM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top