U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 05:59 PM

1,771 posts, read 1,684,756 times

Advertisements

Ok. I'm going to venture on this task of building my own PC over the next few months.
I came across this: Custom Gaming Desktop Computer Builds for 2011

After doing some (not much, but I'll do more) research on each of the items.. I have to admit, I'm sorta fond of what this person has for the 'Budget Gaming Rig'.

It consists of:
Quote:
Motherboard
ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO USB3 Motherboard ($125)

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core Processor ($120)

RAM
Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 RAM ($27)
(I'm going to take the suggestion and double this, so $54)

Video Card
EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti ($118)

Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 1TB ($55)

DVD Burner
ASUS DRW-24B1ST DVD Burner ($21)

Case
Thermaltake V3 Black Edition Mid Tower Case ($40)

Power Supply
Cooler Master GX Series 650W ($90)

TOTAL COST: $675 (USD)
Now the cost is, of course, a rough estimate of what the prices are right this second..and that's only on one site listed. Though, I did look at Amazon and NewEgg and the prices are all fairly the same (I believe the RAM was actually $1 cheaper on NewEgg). And obviously, when I DO start purchasing pieces for this.. I'm going to do the best I can to be a smart shopper and look for coupons, rebates, etc etc etc.

All in all, I'm not going to nit pick over dollars.

I have a gaming mouse and I have a 22in LCD monitor already. I'd just have to get Windows 7, so that of course is another $100'ish.

What the point of this thread is: What do you think of the hardware involved for this? What kind of performance, in your opinion, do you think a PC like this could I expect?

I am not a super huge PC gamer. Not into FPS at all. Funny enough, I play World of Warcraft a lot (Which isn't graphically amazing), Rift sometimes..but will be getting Diablo III.

I'm probably also going to check out Guild Wars 2 eventually, too. Maybe that new Star Wars MMO.

With that being said: Would these choices be great for me? Perhaps they are too "much" for what I plan on doing? Any suggestions elsewhere?

Go easy on me, please. I really am having a hard time understanding all of this, but I'm doing well so far.

Thanks for any help/input/advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 08:34 PM

2,187 posts, read 2,661,042 times
I despise Seagate, and would never trust them with a single bit of my personal data.

Also, I'd try to squeeze in a GTX460 (only about 30 or 40 bucks more than what you're paying for the 550)...but that's just IMO.

edit: Also, I'm watching D3 streams right now, I'm so jealous....I want beta access

Old 09-08-2011, 09:18 PM

Could you provide some other suggestions, then?
If not Seagate, what would be a good HDD (I want at least 500gb)?

Also, what video card is "GTX 460"

I type that into NewEgg and a ton of results pop up
By any chance would: Newegg.com - Palit NE5X460EFHD02 GeForce GTX 460 SE (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card be the one you are speaking of?

If you don't mind me asking.. (again I am SUUUCH a noob to this stuff, it's sad, lol) if this IS the right video card, what makes it the "right" one compared to others with "GTX 460"?

Thanks!

Old 09-08-2011, 09:36 PM

A GTX460 is a GTX460. Manufacturers may tweak the design, or the heatsink, or overclock them, but they're all generally the same card. I stick with EVGA because, well, I'm a fanboy of sorts I suppose. I mostly like them because I've never had an issue. Plus some come with a lifetime warranty (somewhat useless in terms of computer parts, they need to be replaced rather quickly so a 2-3 year warranty is just fine).

I actually just made a thread about what GTX460 was preferred by the masses, you can check it here:
Reference or non-reference cooler designs?
They're the same exact card, save the heatsink design.

I see now that those are up near $50 more than your card, might not be worth the increase in cost to you. If you don't think you'll notice the bump, you won't.

As far as a HDD, I stick with Western Digital. They're rock solid. If you want one near your price range, their 640gb drives are very tough. I've had a blue series caviar 640gb for years and it still rates over 95% on Speedfan's tests. It's a great, great drive.

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Or you can bump up to a 1TB of the same series:

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

These are all my opinion. I've been building PCs since I was 11 (nearly 14 years now.....man, I'm getting old) and I research more than anyone else I know. I have spent nearly a year researching what kind of used car I should buy. Overkill, probably.....but I don't usually have buyer's remorse

Also, please feel free to ask any and all questions you can come up with. We're here to help!

Old 09-08-2011, 10:06 PM

Thanks!
My ULTIMATE goal here is to get the best value gaming PC. Clearly I want to stay under $1000 (which so far does NOT look like that will be an issue at all)..A bigger challenge would be to get under $600.

In another thread on another forum, someone had suggested Newegg.com - ASRock 880G PRO3 AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard for my Motherboard, instead of the one I linked. It would save $35

Also, for my power supply... Corsair CX430 or CX500 since the one I listed too powerful for having one video card. I was told since it's on video card, having a power supply of 400-500w is good?

The CX430 looks like it can be found cheap...like $50 or even less.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:18 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,387,265 times
From Newegg.

BIOSTAR A770E3 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard 49

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX 129

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL 45

Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply 60

GIGABYTE GV-N550OC-1GI GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card 129, 109rebate

Rosewill R101-P-BK 120mm Fan MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case 30

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive 50

+ Windows $100
----------------------------------------
$592

This was with 10min of looking. So it's saving you about $200. I was just going for cost savings in mind. Although it really isn't a bad build.

Now. Is this the best computer of course not. Is it the best for the money, I think so.

My computer is an OC'd Q9550 with 6GB of ram and an OC'd 8800GT video card. The 8800GT is the cost/performance equivalant to a 460gtx of it's day, it's up to you if you want to spend the extra money. I can play most games including Rift and Portal. The games look good and have a decent frame rate.

I think this computer edges out my OC'd computer but doesn't blow it away. OC this build and I think you'll have a decent comp.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:59 AM

6,086 posts, read 6,183,932 times
I just want to suggest buying RAM from RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com

Prices are competitve and all Crucial Memory has a LIFETIME warranty. Which I have used. I had a 3 year old stick die. Sent it back and they replaced it - no questions asked.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
BIOSTAR A770E3 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard 49
I'm not really a big fan of that mobo because it doesn't support USB3 and SATA3, and it also only supports DDR3 1333...meh. I guess for $50 though you won't find those features anyway.

Also, if you are going with that mobo, get this RAM instead, 1333 vs 1066:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231311

Old 09-09-2011, 11:43 AM

OK, so as I read posts on several forums I'm slowly starting to "get it". I understand the power supply needs to have certain watts (thats what the W is, right? lol) in order to keep everything cool..and that goes by the video card..yes?

So, now.. when it comes down to the motherboard (which I understand what it is, of course).. how do you "choose one"? Now when you decide "Ah! this is the motherboard for me!".. how do I then know "Ok THIS is the kind of cpu and ram that goes with it"

It's like.. I get the big picture of what these pieces are and what they are for, however, I don't understand why "this" goes with "that".

I think I also really want to learn that, so I can ask for suggestions -- but at the same time, ultimately make my own informed choices.

It's just that..articles and "how to" guides are not very noob friendly. I need something in STUPID terms, LOL!!

So basically:
1) When looking for a motherboard to build a gaming PC: What am I looking for in terms of specs and why?
2) When I choose the correct motherboard, I already know I want 8gb of ram. How do I know what kind to get.. and is there a difference between 1 8gb vs 2 4gb?
3) The CPU: This is pretty much the same question in regards to the motherboard. (What am I looking for and why?)
4) There's so many video cards, but it seems that the popular choice IS indeed the 460. So why is this? If I go and build this thing in the upcoming months.. what do I need to know about my motherboard and video cards that allow me to upgrade on my own?

Basically, my last sentence goes for everything. If I eventually want to upgrade the ram, how do I know "how much" my PC can handle.. How do I know what kind of CPU I can upgrade with? When will it be time to ultimately upgrade the motherboard? Does everything soley rely on the motherboard in terms of upgrading?

Sorry if my questions confuse anyone. I really want to learn this and not just buy what people tell me. I do love the suggestions, but I also want to know why I'm buying "this" over "that"

Thanks!

Old 09-09-2011, 01:23 PM

Ah, I wanted to edit this but it wouldn't allow me to.
Sorry for the double posting.

So, as I continue to read further and really pay close attention to details on products.. like the mobo, I see that it looks pretty standard that they offer up to 16gb of ram with 4 slots. If I'm not mistaken, each slot has to be the same, yes? I can't do a 2gb, 4gb, 3gb, and another 2gb? (lol I wouldn't ANYway).

So, would it be worth coming close or capping at 16gb? What would be the cheapest way to do this.. 4 4gb or 2 8gb's? I'm also seeing that I can get 4 3gb's (12gb ram) for ~$65'ish.

I also read more on the GTX 460 and I'm def sold on it. Looks pretty solid and looks like a good option for me. Not TOO much into PC gaming, and it looks like a vid card that will satisify all my PC gaming needs. (I just want Diablo III to look pretty when I get it, to be honest lol)

KAY, when you first responded you only responded about the HDD as well as the video card. Besides those 2, does everything else listed seem to be good enough? The only real choice I have next is determining the amount of ram I want/need.

Oh oh oh.. I also have a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. It has 2 discs: 32bit and 64bit. I forgot I had purchased this a while ago.. forgot that my PC DIDN'T come with it!! lol! So I should be OK when using that on my eventually-brand-new PC gets built, yes? (Any suggestions on 32 vs 64?)

This is exciting. Learning is so win!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers