U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 12:13 PM

17,696 posts, read 23,991,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
If Apple would sell a $600 laptop new to compete with the inexpensive WinTel Laptops, they would really start stealing market share.
I feel the same way about the Miata my friend lets me drive sometimes vs Audi TT I really want.
Why oh why doesn't Audi fill that void?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 01:52 PM

24,826 posts, read 28,809,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
No but if the OP is willing to spend that much and wants good battery life Macs are a safe bet; They consistently have good battery life.
How much I'm willing to spend depends on a few things - primarily how much I get from my parents, who have suggested buying/contributing to a new laptop for my 35th birthday (next month). If I end up having to buy this on my OWN, I'll be looking at a refurbished PC.

Quote:
There are versions of those games and apps.
iPads are cool, for sure, but there's no way I'd ever have one as my primary computer... too difficult to hold, use, etc. with my arthritis, especially considering I do most of my home "computing" on the sofa. I just can't imagine playing games & writing documents for hours on those things! Nice toy to have on the go, but definitely won't be replacing laptops/desktops anytime soon IMO.

Quote:
Unless he dual boots.
Yeah, I forgot you can do that... and I might have to if I switch, since I'm not sure I'll be willing & able to replace all of my software.

P.S. Not that it matters, but I'm a "she." And thanks to everyone else for the replies! Definitely giving me something to consider, but I'm still not 100% sold on the Mac idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Yes, but get what you pay for. Whatís the use of a $350 machine that falls apart? Macs donít self-destruct (keys are missing/broken, the hard drive was recently replaced) in under three years. People pay a lot of attention to the look of Macs, but to me, the feel is equally, if not more, important. The unibody construction is really solid and feels great in the hand. PC laptops, unless theyíre really high-end and more expensive than Macs, feel cheap and flimsy, which they are.
Okay, so let's compare laptops of equal PRICE for a second...

$1100 Mac vs $1100 PC - which one is better in your opinions?

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 10-02-2011 at 12:10 AM..

Old 09-13-2011, 05:14 PM

4,674 posts, read 3,447,370 times
Quote:
That's really my biggest issue with Mac... price.
I like all technology, and Macs are fine machines., but...
If Apple would sell a $600 laptop new to compete with the inexpensive WinTel Laptops, they would really start stealing market share. But they prefer to be a niche player and sell those "low end" $1,000 laptops which is the cheapest one they sell.
Which makes good business sense. They make a better profit being a niche player. Sucks for consumers, but thats life. If you really need a $600 laptop, you can probably find a year or two old used MacBook for less then that. Just saying.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:27 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,016,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

Yeah, I forgot you can do that... and I might have to if I switch, since I'm not sure I'll be willing & able to replace all of my software.
In regards to dual booting to use PC based software. Also consider the option of running a virtual machine (VMware Fusion, Parallels, or Virtualbox). This will give you the opportunity to run both OS X and your flavor of Windows simultaneously. Just keep in mind that resource wise, you'll need to make sure you can support that since you're basically running two computers on one set of hardware.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:42 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,094,873 times
I used to hate computers with a passion that burned deep within my soul and had the red hot intensity of 2,000 burning suns. 100 clicks to do anything, constant bugs, problems and viruses, too many errors and technical problems, expensive yearly protection software subscriptions, etc.,

Then a total stranger recommended looking into Macs. I did. I fell in love and, four years later, am still in love with my iMac. I have never ONCE had a problem with it of any kind. I'll never go back to Micro$oft and their PC's. Ever.

Here's how I describe my computer experience to people: (Apple Store employees always ask me if they can borrow this analogy!) Buying a PC is like buying a car... and having to push it everywhere you go! Buying a Mac is like getting a chauffeur with the car.

To the OP: Go with Mac. The initial price is more expensive but it's cheaper in the long run without all those yearly virus protection programs. The extended warranty on Macs is MUCH cheaper than it is on PC's. My last PC had a $549 3yr Extended Warranty. My Mac had the same thing for $149. (I bought it and never had to use it.)

Old 09-14-2011, 08:19 AM

6,122 posts, read 6,219,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Yes, but get what you pay for. Whatís the use of a $350 machine that falls apart? Macs donít self-destruct (keys are missing/broken, the hard drive was recently replaced) in under three years.
Um... yea they do.
But my $600 laptop is still purring like a kitten 3 years later.

Just saying when Joe Average Consumer is shopping for a laptop and he sees a $600 WIndows Laptop or a $1,000 Apple laptop.... which one will he buy?
As the market shows... the Windows laptop.

Although Apple has slightly filled that void with the iPad.

And yea... Audi should make a sub-$30,000 car for the average consumer.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:07 AM

17,696 posts, read 23,991,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
$1100 Mac vs $1100 PC - which one is better in your opinions?
Setting aside ftm the idea of comparable machines that somehow have the same market price...
---

The user quality shouldn't need (more) elaboration at this point.
The principle difference in costs will show up when it's time to upgrade.

With the Mac (generally) it's of two sorts:
1) The need to upgrade shows up much later.
2) If sooner, the mac will have more value as a used item.

Do the math for each:
Initial Cost; / # of months owned; less used sale value; = net cost

hth

Old 09-14-2011, 10:21 AM

4,002 posts, read 5,257,033 times
Quote:
Um... yea they do.
But my $600 laptop is still purring like a kitten 3 years later.

Just saying when Joe Average Consumer is shopping for a laptop and he sees a $600 WIndows Laptop or a $1,000 Apple laptop.... which one will he buy?
As the market shows... the Windows laptop.

Although Apple has slightly filled that void with the iPad.

And yea... Audi should make a sub-$30,000 car for the average consumer.
Mac sales are increasing year-over-year and PC sales remain flat. (Macs sales up, iPods down according to NPD Group)

Price is still an issue, but not like it once was. And, as noted earlier, Apple is doing very well in the refurbished market. They have developed a shrewd business model. Rather than make less expensive versions of the same product, they sell older models at a lower price. This saves on design and development costs and, more importantly, it doesnít pull focus away from their main product line. Other companies make many variations on the same design, especially with cell phones, but it inevitably means that no one model is as refined as it could be.

There are two types of Average Joes: (1) ones truly lacking in money, and (2) ones who donít see the increased value in the other product. If you canít afford it, you canít afford it; your decision is made for you. However, an increasing number of people are coming to see the value in design, usability and reliability. For them, the increased price is worth it.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:28 AM

4,528 posts, read 4,183,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
... Here's how I describe my computer experience to people: (Apple Store employees always ask me if they can borrow this analogy!) Buying a PC is like buying a car... and having to push it everywhere you go! Buying a Mac is like getting a chauffeur with the car. ...
Cute. But I don't agree. (I was a PC user for many years, now a Mac-and-PC user for many years.) Buying a PC is like buying a car and being able to do repairs and upgrades yourself. Buying a Mac is like buying a car that you have to take back to the dealer for repairs and most upgrades.

Ease of use ... my position is a bit unfair because I had to do the work of 'unlearning' PC-like behavior, so I can't say I found either of them easier to use. I would guess, though, that for someone new to computers the Mac would be much easier to start using without having to refer to User Manuals.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:51 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,094,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Cute. But I don't agree. (I was a PC user for many years, now a Mac-and-PC user for many years.) Buying a PC is like buying a car and being able to do repairs and upgrades yourself. Buying a Mac is like buying a car that you have to take back to the dealer for repairs and most upgrades.

Ease of use ... my position is a bit unfair because I had to do the work of 'unlearning' PC-like behavior, so I can't say I found either of them easier to use. I would guess, though, that for someone new to computers the Mac would be much easier to start using without having to refer to User Manuals.
Your position isn't unfair. It's your personal experience and it's very valid. My experience only describes my personal experience and views. Neither one is wrong.

I had to unlearn PC habits and ways of doing things, too. This is what I thought would be super hard. It really wasn't. It took me about a week to reform new ways to use my Mac.

Sure you can tinker around with PCs and fix things. I wasn't a computer expert but I got close to being one because I had to fix my PC all too often. Friends even had me help them with theirs. It's a completely different story, for me, with my Mac.

The biggest problem I have with Mac concerns Flash Player. It will crash Safari, or cause you to have to force quit it, once in awhile. But, when I compare problems (I and others were having) between PC and Mac, Mac is a hands down, no-contest, clear winner.

Here's one last comparison I found highly interesting -- if not a bit amusing. (And I learned I wasn't the only one who had this experience!) When I was looking into buying a Mac, I went to Mac Forums and asked a lot of questions. They were incredibly kind, patient, enthusiastic, helpful, passionate and excited for me! They were honest and explained that Macs aren't for everyone, depending on personality types mostly. They listed all the good things about both PC and Mac to consider, as well as their downfalls.

Then, I went to PC forums to ask for similar help and opinions. (I was completely neutral.) And WOW! The reception I got! They were hostile, as if I was cheating on them! They were rude and vicious. They spoke with fire and forked tongues about Macs and I had to flee the room on more than one occasion. It really was a remarkable difference between the two types of people! And it wasn't just in one chat room or forum. It was in several of both types, Mac and PC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers