Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:53 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The truth of the matter is that XP was pretty much the pinnacle of the Microsoft Windows OS. Now they are just releasing new versions to pander to the "gotta haves".
I would agree that Windows "matured" at XP SP2 (The early days of XP were awful, hence the reason most businesses stayed with Win2K as long as they did). That said, in 2011 XP is no longer a good choice for new builds, as it doesn't support more than 3.2GB of RAM and more and more high-end devices don't have XP drivers.

7 is a definite worthwhile upgrade. Works as good as XP for me and doesn't require me to spend an entire day installing third-party apps just to bring it up to date like do with XP. I don't have a problem with 8 as a tablet/phone OS, but it will be a step backwards for the desktop, much like Mac OS X Lion was.

Apple and Microsoft are together going in the direction of taking away the freedom and power of having a fully functional PC. I think it has something to do with the fact that they have so much more control over software and content on mobile devices than the PC, and they want to gain that control over the PC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 09:06 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Most of them are retarded and clueless, they have not even the slightest knowledge on Win 8 to even attempt to speak intelligently about it, all they accomplish is to make themselves look as clueless as they sound, sad actually.

For those that are interested the developer preview is available for download.

Welcome to Windows 8
Already got it on one computer.

Now, I've used Microsoft's Tablet build of XP and wasn't entirely sold on it, so I'm curious to see how this compares and what they've improved on. I don't have a tablet PC to test it with... but it looks like it'll run great on my netbook, so I'll probably end up adding it as another boot option until I can get my hands on a tablet PC. I definitely use my netbook more than my desktop.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:18 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Already got it on one computer.

Now, I've used Microsoft's Tablet build of XP and wasn't entirely sold on it, so I'm curious to see how this compares and what they've improved on. I don't have a tablet PC to test it with... but it looks like it'll run great on my netbook, so I'll probably end up adding it as another boot option until I can get my hands on a tablet PC. I definitely use my netbook more than my desktop.
Microsoft has tried to get into the mobile device market for years but have never been successful. Windows XP Tablet PC edition, Windows Embedded, Windows Phone 7 have all pretty much flopped. Then you cannot forget the Zune. Much like its attempt to take on Google in the search engine market, Microsoft has always been late to the game and its offerings have been ho-hum. They need to stick to what built them, desktop/laptop PCs, XBox, and productivity software. Windows 8 will never be a serious contender against the iPhone and probably will not against the iPad either.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:45 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
For the uninformed people flipping out that the interface is the sole reason they won't buy it, here's a bit of a clue for you...

Look familiar? That's what's underneath and easilly accessable.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:17 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,273,323 times
I'm running it in virtual box and it boots really fast.

The "lock" screen is very modern and a nice welcome.

Yes it's buggy and some of the controls seem more optimized for touch than keyboard and mouse.

Some mouse controls should be a little more intuitive. For example the scroll wheel on the mouse rolls "backwards" when you roll it to view more tiles. But really those are little and expected things.

Also things like getting to the "quick" desktop from the new start menu is buggy as well.

And although I like the "ribbon" in office it seems a bit jarring in things like the Documents folder. Something we'll have to get used to I guess.

I love the search component in the start menu. It's very intuitive I think to non/new users. To people using computers you'd think "where's the search box?"

But when you type it automatically assumes you're searching for something.

So far I like it.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:30 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
There comes a time when companies "change" and "improve" their product just for the sake of doing it. Hoping that people, who are brainwashed by the media that they MUST HAVE THE NEWEST, biggest, best will buy it.

The truth of the matter is that XP was pretty much the pinnacle of the Microsoft Windows OS. Now they are just releasing new versions to pander to the "gotta haves".

Whatever, it IS ugly and stupid looking, but most people don't know the difference or don't care. I won't buy it, because I don't need it, I don't want it and I don't particularly like it.

20yrsinBranson
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
For the uninformed people flipping out that the interface is the sole reason they won't buy it, here's a bit of a clue for you...

Look familiar? That's what's underneath and easilly accessable.
XP was not the "pinnacle" of Windows OS. I've been working with computers for almost 30 years and I've seen it all roll past. Windows 7 is the best so far. I'll not spend time listing why because I'm not going to waste the time.

And as for the UGLY comment I'm guessing you based it on the trolls picture instead of actually taking the time to read the rest of the posts (one of which mentioned that you can use the interface seen above) or doing any worthwhile Internet research. Jumping to conclusions can be embarrassing, eh?

I doubt Windows 8 will be perfect. MS products rarely are. But at least I'm willing to wait and see.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:34 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I'm running it in virtual box and it boots really fast.

The "lock" screen is very modern and a nice welcome.

Yes it's buggy and some of the controls seem more optimized for touch than keyboard and mouse.

Some mouse controls should be a little more intuitive. For example the scroll wheel on the mouse rolls "backwards" when you roll it to view more tiles. But really those are little and expected things.

Also things like getting to the "quick" desktop from the new start menu is buggy as well.

And although I like the "ribbon" in office it seems a bit jarring in things like the Documents folder. Something we'll have to get used to I guess.

I love the search component in the start menu. It's very intuitive I think to non/new users. To people using computers you'd think "where's the search box?"

But when you type it automatically assumes you're searching for something.

So far I like it.
The virtual 3d tour of Machu Picchu is that way for me. It keeps spinning the wrong way when I move the mouse because I expect it to go the other way. I wonder if it has anything to do with the coriolis effect?

The tour in case you missed it: Panoramic 3 Dimensional Interactive View Of Machu Picchu Incan Ruins In Peru.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:42 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
There comes a time when companies "change" and "improve" their product just for the sake of doing it. Hoping that people, who are brainwashed by the media that they MUST HAVE THE NEWEST, biggest, best will buy it.

Whatever, it IS ugly and stupid looking, but most people don't know the difference or don't care. I won't buy it, because I don't need it, I don't want it and I don't particularly like it.

20yrsinBranson
I think your post is absurd. XP is the pinnacle of the Windows OS? It was hugely important to overcome architectural limitations in previous versions, but it user interface design was almost unchanged from Windows 95/98 and NT.

Some people, like you, want nothing more than a better XP. But Windows 7 was a major improvement both visible and invisible over XP. Some people like my over 70 years old parents will not switch because they don't want to change. But I think Windows 7 is far more usable, more reliable, works on laptops better, and of course looks better.

Windows 8 is raw now, but I think it has the potential to bridge the tablet world and the PC world. Someone could use the same device in multiple ways, each optimized for the application. Pinching a picture to zoom it with your fingers works well with touch, but Excel works better with the precise pointing of a mouse. It looks like Win8 could do that.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:54 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The virtual 3d tour of Machu Picchu is that way for me. It keeps spinning the wrong way when I move the mouse because I expect it to go the other way. I wonder if it has anything to do with the coriolis effect?

The tour in case you missed it: Panoramic 3 Dimensional Interactive View Of Machu Picchu Incan Ruins In Peru.
Sounds like what happened with OSX Lion. Is there a setting to change it to move the way you expect it?

Old 09-15-2011, 11:02 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Quote:
That ribbon at the top is from Office. Not the OS.

Quote:
That's been there since Vista. From my experience, it's functionality increased with Win7 and probably moreso with Win8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Microsoft has tried to get into the mobile device market for years but have never been successful. Windows XP Tablet PC edition, Windows Embedded, Windows Phone 7 have all pretty much flopped. Then you cannot forget the Zune. Much like its attempt to take on Google in the search engine market, Microsoft has always been late to the game and its offerings have been ho-hum. They need to stick to what built them, desktop/laptop PCs, XBox, and productivity software. Windows 8 will never be a serious contender against the iPhone and probably will not against the iPad either.
... I love my Zune30. It has only failed me once - and that was when all Zune30's failed. Still on original battery, to boot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers