U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 09:16 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,405,209 times

Advertisements

We've always been able to use Open Office for free. OpenOffice.org is a multiplatform and multilingual office suite and an open-source project. Compatible with all other major office suites, the product is free to download, use, and distribute.

StarOffice is Sun Microsystems' proprietary office suite software package. It is based on the open source OpenOffice.org package, and contains some additional features.

Now, Sun Microsystem and Google have joined to give you Star Office for free.

Quote:
StarOffice® is available for free Download inside the Google Pack®. The Google Pack® offers a lot of useful software, that makes your day at your PC much safer and comfortable, icluding Anti-Virus software, mediaplayer, PDF-Viewer, VoIP Software and much more - Now Free for you with the Google Pack® - ready for Download.

The Download is absolutely free for you and comes directly from Google® High Speed Servers (this is especially fast and safe)!
What is nice is you can pick what you want to download in the Google Pack. If you only want Star Office, that is all you have to download. Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 10:20 AM

7,562 posts, read 16,558,722 times
Have you used Star Office ? Im a great believer in OpenOffice over M$ Office because its free, and functionally very efficent for me.

I always have to stand back when Google gets its hands on anything, be wary or whatever. If you choose to download Star Office, can you avoid downloading Google? I wouldnt want google to farm my information etc, thats why I have the site blocked in my HOST file. I have had several products where google was 'optional', and when i said I didnt want it, it installed anyway.,

Old 08-20-2007, 10:40 AM

Yes, you can avoid downloading anything else in the google pack. It is a pick and chose download.

I do like Openoffice myself. But for those who have always *eyed* Star Office but felt paying for it was out of their budget, here is their chance to actually get it. Liz

Old 08-22-2007, 01:26 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,740,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
StarOffice (http://star.office-download.info/us/index.htm - broken link) is Sun Microsystems' proprietary office suite software package. It is based on the open source OpenOffice.org package, and contains some additional features.
Actually, a company called StarDivision developed the Star Office suite back in 1992 or so as a proprietary software package (I've been a Star Office user on OS/2 since Star Office 3.0 for OS/2 was released many years ago, and I also have a copy of StarWriter for DOS which I've used for several years).

When Star Division sold the Star Office package to Sun, Sun turned around and released much of the Star Office source code as open source via the Open Office project. I still have several copies of their Star Office 5.1a CD which had the binary versions for Windows, OS/2, Linux, and Solaris/x86.

The two (Star Office and Open Office) have been exchanging code ever since, but Star Office predates OpenOffice by quite a bit.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Actually, a company called StarDivision developed the Star Office suite back in 1992 or so as a proprietary software package (I've been a Star Office user on OS/2 since Star Office 3.0 for OS/2 was released many years ago, and I also have a copy of StarWriter for DOS which I've used for several years).
I didn't know Star Office's history...sorry. Thanks for the clarification. Liz

Old 08-22-2007, 02:46 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,740,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
I didn't know Star Office's history...sorry. Thanks for the clarification. Liz
The way the code is moving back and forth between the two these days, it's getting harder to tell which one is based on which! :-)

Old 08-22-2007, 02:47 PM

7,562 posts, read 16,558,722 times
1 vs 1, which has the most functionality / stability / compaitibility with other office style progs on various OS's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or