Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 10:34 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times

Advertisements

I always have a sticky over my laptop camera, or my iMac camera (at my old job). Wonder why?

The guy at work who was in charge of 30+ Macs would sometimes play practical jokes and secretly take control of your computer. Who knows when he was spying on us though the camera?

There was an episode of CSI (or was it Criminal Minds?) that had a techie for hire who "fixed" your home laptop and installed something so that he could watch you through your laptop camera... which also filmed the owners being murdered...

And then there was this case, of a high school secretly filming/photographing students at home through their HS-issued laptops!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 03:08 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
i used to think that only the tinfoil hat types thought their webcams cold "spy" on them, until I saw the green camera light turn on by itself. It happend only once but it was enough to make me do a clean install of everything on my computer - and I'm on a Mac.

I don't generally worry about this, but I do have friends that block their webcams with post-it notes.
Sometimes when getting up from bed, my hair standing up in different directions, bags under my eyes...I think that it would not be a pretty sight at all for somebody to take a peek through the camera while I sit on the toilet. The worst thing would be for the person to post a video of it on "youtube," and then a family member, or a friend watching it

Old 04-29-2013, 05:27 PM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Sometimes when getting up from bed, my hair standing up in different directions, bags under my eyes...I think that it would not be a pretty sight at all for somebody to take a peek through the camera while I sit on the toilet. The worst thing would be for the person to post a video of it on "youtube," and then a family member, or a friend watching it
Like that time you forgot to put the toilet sit before sitting down? Yes, that was indeed hilarious.
No wonder it got over 1 million hits on YouTube!

Old 04-29-2013, 05:39 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,465 times
Yep...sticky note on mine, too. Sometimes I forget to take it off when I'm skyping with friends.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Like that time you forgot to put the toilet sit before sitting down? Yes, that was indeed hilarious.
No wonder it got over 1 million hits on YouTube!

Makes me wonder. I think I will be paying close attention to my laptop's cam. A sticky note sounds like a good idea.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:40 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlebeach25 View Post
So basically they have right to invade our privacy? isn't that against the law or something?
They do not have this right. If caught, people who hack into a computer without appropriate permission or authorization can (and have) been prosecuted, convicted, and imprisoned.

That said, learning the identity of a hacker and providing proof beyond a reasonable doubt can be very difficult.

Any computer that is connected to the internet can be hacked. Period. Preventing this particular problem is as simple as pointing the webcam to a wall, disconnecting it, or covering the lens. These are all very cheap, low-tech solutions.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:54 AM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
If caught, people who hack into a computer without appropriate permission or authorization can (and have) been prosecuted, convicted, and imprisoned.

That said, learning the identity of a hacker and providing proof beyond a reasonable doubt can be very difficult.
Unless it is the Big Brother doing the hacking or the prosecution!

Quote:
Any computer that is connected to the internet can be hacked. Period.
Absolutely. Anyone connected to the Internet, to think they have 100% privacy or safety is an illusion not a conspiracy theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers