U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 11:49 PM

563 posts, read 1,350,115 times

Advertisements

So this has been a feature on my computer for a long time. My husbands iPad has it. My PC had it. My Mac has it. By a search, I found that cell phones have it.
My question is, is this standard on all computers and electronics now? I remember when this didn't exist. I know people who have constant spelling mistakes and as my husband just said "do they not see the red line???"
Is it part of the computer itself? Part of Firefox as well as all browsers? Part of all word programs?

I can't find much info on it and I'm curious.

PS - I love it. Saves me sometimes!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 04:11 AM

40,850 posts, read 42,257,414 times
It's part of the program, as far as browsers go FF introduced it maybe back in 2004? I think IE7 was next. Prior to that it was add on like iespell for IE.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:17 AM

29,708 posts, read 64,714,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaMommy View Post
I know people who have constant spelling mistakes
and as my husband just said "do they not see the red line???"
In addition to being poor spellers...
perhaps they don't know how to turn the feature on?

Or... being such poor spellers they turned it off deliberately.
(Rather than to be reminded of their shortcoming so often.)

hth

Old 10-28-2011, 09:20 AM

28,673 posts, read 40,867,314 times
In FF go to Tools/Options/Advanced/General tab and you will find Check my spelling as I type, which can be turned on or off.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:39 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,802,254 times
I wish it would choose suggested alternatives based on frequency of use, instead of similarity of keystrokes. If I mistype "sid", it does not offer "said", but suggests the highly improbably "dis". For "sais", it offers "saris" and "dais", but not "says". For "sith", it offers "saith", but not "with". "ut" does not offer "but". "nd" offer's "end", but not "and".

Old 10-28-2011, 03:42 PM

24,497 posts, read 36,173,537 times
It's part of the software. Initially introduced by Microsoft. Prior to real-time spell-check, you to run a "spell-check function" after composing.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:53 PM

28,673 posts, read 40,867,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I wish it would choose suggested alternatives based on frequency of use, instead of similarity of keystrokes. If I mistype "sid", it does not offer "said", but suggests the highly improbably "dis". For "sais", it offers "saris" and "dais", but not "says". For "sith", it offers "saith", but not "with". "ut" does not offer "but". "nd" offer's "end", but not "and".
Any program is only as good as the person that wrote it. Back in the day I added a custom spell check to WordPerfect 5.1 for all the secretaries because WP didn't have one. Something I found to be amazingly shortsighted (or just plain lazy) on their part. On the other hand the capability of their macros was astounding!

Old 10-28-2011, 11:14 PM

563 posts, read 1,350,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

I find it's purpose is best for when I want to spell crockadial but can't quite get it right, more so than missing or hitting a wrong key. But hey, when you do hit "sid" or "sith" by accident, it alerts you to the mistake!
That's what I call useful.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:21 AM

40,850 posts, read 42,257,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaMommy View Post
I find it's purpose is best for when I want to spell crockadial but can't quite get it right, .
I've done that. I never learned to type and still "hunt and peck" but can type very quickly as long as my eyes are on the keyboard. I make a lot of typos and then I use the spell check to straighten it out.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:46 AM

24,497 posts, read 36,173,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I've done that. I never learned to type and still "hunt and peck" but can type very quickly as long as my eyes are on the keyboard. I make a lot of typos and then I use the spell check to straighten it out.
You should switch to the Dvorak keyboard. It's designed to speed up typing while the QWERTY keyboard is designed to slow down typing. It's hard for people who know how to type to switch... but easy for those who don't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or