U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-28-2011, 02:43 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,737,547 times

Advertisements

I've been having problems with my landline phone having crackling static on it. It's the same with two different phones. One is a very old corded phone and one is a newer typical cordless phone. I have DSL but there's a filter.

Question: I hear the static as soon as I hear the dial tone. The static is also there when I dial and when I'm on a call. Why would there be static when I'm just hearing the dial tone?

I had this problem a few weeks ago, one morning after a rain. The static got worse and worse until there was no longer even a dial tone. The next afternoon I saw two ATT vans near my apartment building and there was no more static. But now the static has returned, but not as severe.

Question 2: My DSL keeps working okay ever during severe phone static. Why is that true?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 07:58 PM

2,019 posts, read 1,503,553 times
I've had a similar problem. Pick up the phone and the line sounded "dirty" with crackling noise. We could still call out and receive calls though.

Next we had lots of rain. The next day we could call out but not receive any incoming calls. After a few days, while waiting for the telco man to arrive and fix it, the line went completely dead.

The telco man arrived, went to the box up the street, said he reconnected some wires and told me there was a short that knocked out my service. He still wasn't sure what caused it but may have been weather related.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:32 PM

13,046 posts, read 14,640,744 times
Sometimes this problem is caused by poor grounding or bonding at the utility box. You can have an electrician check the ground wire from the utility box to the grounding rod, and also for proper grounding into the house at the water pipes.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:09 AM

11,471 posts, read 8,165,097 times
When we first moved I had a big problem with that and our 'rinky dink' phone company.
After a rain, calling the company got me this explaination from the service rep........
"yeah, it does that"
(The repairman knew right where the problem was and must have finally been authorized to do a permanent fix)

Old 10-29-2011, 11:10 AM

5,603 posts, read 9,525,629 times
We had the same problem - turned out squirrels had been chewing on the line up at the box on the phone pole (the door to it was hanging open).

Old 10-29-2011, 12:22 PM

17,594 posts, read 23,805,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Sometimes this problem is caused by poor grounding or bonding at the utility box.
^^This.

Open that "Demarc" box and plug in a phone to the modular jack there.
See if the problem still exists.

If it does... then look to see if you even have a ground wire connected at all.
Many homes don't or have had that disturbed by painters or garden work etc.

If the problem is not present when plugged in at the demarc box...
then the source is somewhere inside the house.
That will likely be loose connections or very old wiring.

Quote:
You can have an electrician check the ground wire from the utility box
to the grounding rod, and also for proper grounding into the house at the water pipes.
hth

Old 03-22-2013, 03:26 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,737,547 times
I'd like to re-ask what was "Question 2" in my original post. I recently heard the static again, and the DSL still okay.
It is not a DSL filter prob.

My main idea is, voice uses the lowest possible frequencies, but then there's a blank area used for nothing, and then a large area for DSL. Perhaps something is simply wrong with just that bandwidth used for voice, eh?

Consider these diagrams:
https://www.google.com/search?q=dsl+...w=1431&bih=702

Old 03-22-2013, 07:46 PM

9,198 posts, read 3,403,085 times
It could be wet @ the pedestal or somewhere else in the line......

Good for you for still having a landline!

Old 03-23-2013, 03:50 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,485,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I'd like to re-ask what was "Question 2" in my original post. I recently heard the static again, and the DSL still okay.
It is not a DSL filter prob.
Test your DSL speed. When I had DSL and had line noise, the DSL modem would disconnect and reconnect at a lower speed. Instead of 5 Mbps, it would reconnect at 1 Mbps or less. I had a lot of trouble with Verizon in that respect. The noise was present at the utility box outside the house, so it was their problem. They will fix it and it will happen again a few months down the road. This kept going on and off until I got tired of it and switched to cable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers