U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-24-2007, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Looking over your shoulder
30,582 posts, read 28,252,070 times
Reputation: 82124

Advertisements

Thanks all for the info and thoughts,,,,,, I do have a Fry’s near me and I’ll pull the card first and see if they can match it up with something that they sell. The PC is a Gateway I bought back in Oct of 99. I found the paper work on it ~ guess it’s out of warranty by now? ;-) And I would like to buy a new one but I’ve got to look around for a good deal first. For now the video card looks like an answer for a few bucks. I agree with Joe that it should just plug in without trouble. I do have to think about the drivers however and if the newer cards are compatible. Mike,,,, I’ve never heard about any PC Club stores around in the Phx metro? I’ll also check that our. I lean to the Fry’s only because it’s close by.

No,,,, I can’t take the lotto winnings and skip town. But vpcats had me LOLROTF with that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2007, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Looking over your shoulder
30,582 posts, read 28,252,070 times
Reputation: 82124
Gateway technical support desk said that my monitor trouble is caused by C-D and their constant message of “you got’a wait 24 hours before you rep someone” that caused the problem. The tech checked with others around his work-cube and they all started laughing about my troubles. I could never get them to stop and hand to hangup on them.

So the next thing I need to do “after” I fix this thing and change out the video card is where do I send the bill for repairs to CD? I’ve never seen a mailing address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2007, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Arizona, The American Southwest
52,155 posts, read 30,219,816 times
Reputation: 91136
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Thanks all for the info and thoughts,,,,,, I do have a Fry’s near me and I’ll pull the card first and see if they can match it up with something that they sell. The PC is a Gateway I bought back in Oct of 99. I found the paper work on it ~ guess it’s out of warranty by now? ;-) And I would like to buy a new one but I’ve got to look around for a good deal first. For now the video card looks like an answer for a few bucks. I agree with Joe that it should just plug in without trouble. I do have to think about the drivers however and if the newer cards are compatible. Mike,,,, I’ve never heard about any PC Club stores around in the Phx metro? I’ll also check that our. I lean to the Fry’s only because it’s close by.

No,,,, I can’t take the lotto winnings and skip town. But vpcats had me LOLROTF with that one.
There's one PC Club store in Mesa. It's at 1240 West Southern Ave., Mesa - Tel480) 898-3588. [

Keep in mind also, Fry's also carries the latest and greatest in technology, very few components for older computers, so if you have a computer that was made in 1999, you may not find a decent quality video card for it. The best thing to do is take the tower to Fry's and they'll help you find a good video card for it, if they have it. If they don't, then you might want to check out PC Club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2007, 07:17 PM
 
2,896 posts, read 6,072,531 times
Reputation: 5023
AksarbeN, does your 'puter have a pci or on board vid card?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2007, 09:03 PM
HDL
Status: "Have a safe and blessed holiday season :-)" (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Seek Jesus while He can still be found!
3,165 posts, read 6,086,722 times
Reputation: 8343
Thumbs up I'm on REP lockdown, so all I can do is give ATTA Boys and ATTA Girls

You're too funny for your own good AksarbeN !!! Put your wife on and let me have a quick chat with her !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Gateway technical support desk said that my monitor trouble is caused by C-D and their constant message of “you got’a wait 24 hours before you rep someone” that caused the problem. The tech checked with others around his work-cube and they all started laughing about my troubles. I could never get them to stop and hand to hangup on them.

So the next thing I need to do “after” I fix this thing and change out the video card is where do I send the bill for repairs to CD? I’ve never seen a mailing address.
vpcats, sister you read my mind LOL!!! Okay, tell me what I'm thinking now???

[quote=vpcats;1351294]Are you sure you are not just preparing us for your sudden disappearance because you won the lottery and don't want to share with your BEST friends ever???[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2007, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Looking over your shoulder
30,582 posts, read 28,252,070 times
Reputation: 82124
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
AksarbeN, does your 'puter have a pci or on board vid card?
It has an AGP graphics card that plugs in. I checked the other two old dinosaurs I have but they are motherboard video ports. Mike had a good idea about a shop that has older parts and it’s very near where I’m located. Hopefully this will last until I get over there tomorrow and see if they have a match for me.

By the way,,,, what’s AGP and PCI stand for with the video cards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2007, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Mayacama Mtns in CA
14,523 posts, read 7,678,834 times
Reputation: 11317
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
My pc is dying ~
Buy an iMac

Your troubles would be over, and you would be a happy camper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2007, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Looking over your shoulder
30,582 posts, read 28,252,070 times
Reputation: 82124
Smile Do you think I'm crazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Gateway technical support desk said that my monitor trouble is caused by C-D and their constant message of “you got’a wait 24 hours before you rep someone” that caused the problem. The tech checked with others around his work-cube and they all started laughing about my troubles. I could never get them to stop and hand to hangup on them.

So the next thing I need to do “after” I fix this thing and change out the video card is where do I send the bill for repairs to CD? I’ve never seen a mailing address.
[quote=HDL;1352515]You're too funny for your own good AksarbeN !!! Put your wife on and let me have a quick chat with her !



vpcats, sister you read my mind LOL!!! Okay, tell me what I'm thinking now???

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Are you sure you are not just preparing us for your sudden disappearance because you won the lottery and don't want to share with your BEST friends ever???[/quote]

There are many things I’ve never learned in life and I always want to know more, but putting my Wife on this pc is not one of the smartest things I would ever do. She knows what I’m doing,,,, but I don’t want her to find out how much fun I’m having. The next thing would be that she would take over the pc and I’d be doing chores around the house. I’m not crazy and I’m sure not letting her have all the fun I’ve been having.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2007, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Home is where we park it.
3,098 posts, read 8,405,209 times
Reputation: 3195
Quote:
what’s AGP and PCI stand for with the video cards
Howstuffworks "How AGP Works"

Howstuffworks "How PCI Works"

And there IS a motherboard that allows you to use both.
ASRock 939Dual-SATA2: With AGP and PCIe | Tom's Hardware

Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2007, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Home is where we park it.
3,098 posts, read 8,405,209 times
Reputation: 3195
Quote:
There are many things I’ve never learned in life and I always want to know more, but putting my Wife on this pc is not one of the smartest things I would ever do. She knows what I’m doing,,,, but I don’t want her to find out how much fun I’m having. The next thing would be that she would take over the pc and I’d be doing chores around the house. I’m not crazy and I’m sure not letting her have all the fun I’ve been having.
My husband and I have separate computers. Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:32 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top