Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 12:35 AM

845 posts, read 1,349,308 times

Advertisements

I built this computer myself. The motherboard, power supply, and the components are the newer parts I got with this computer. The video card was replaced as well, but not until later.

It was running so smoothly before, with no problems. Well maybe little errors here and there but nothing I couldn't fix myself. However, this is something new and I just can't place what's going wrong.

I started to hear chirps when my computer was running for long periods of time, so I assumed it was just over-heating. I would leave it shut off for a while and turn it back on when I wanted or needed it. It just started getting worse with the chirps and now they are long sounding beeps or series of beeps just lasting until the computer crashes. I can actually leave it idle for a long time, I can go into iTunes and some other programs and it works fine. As soon as I enter either Hulu, youtube, or any small game/large game, the chirps start again and it will only last a few minutes befor it just crashes.

I've actually went in and took the video card out, thinking it was the new card just about to go and ran off the on-board video. The chirps still come. I checked all fans for dust, I cleaned the inside, moved cables around and still the sound is there. Someone told me it was the BIOS failing or going bad, but it wouldn't have that kind of effect on the motherboard itself, could it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 05:56 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Well since i cant hear the beeps here you go

Computer POST and beep codes

Old 10-27-2011, 06:53 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
I have no idea what they mean by the BIOS "going bad". Have you tried pulling the case off and replicating the issue to determine if it is coming from the fan or the hard drive area? I know you said you cleaned the fan but it still may be the culprit for chirping.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:59 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
If your BIOS code (firmware that starts your computer up) fails, you computer won't start.

Beep codes occur before Windows even tries to start.

Chirps from a computer with Windows running cannot be POST (Power On Self Test) errors.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:16 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
If your BIOS code (firmware that starts your computer up) fails, you computer won't start.

Beep codes occur before Windows even tries to start.

Chirps from a computer with Windows running cannot be POST (Power On Self Test) errors.
I agree,

If you are getting beeps from the MB speaker after the machine has successfully booted, especially if it happens when you run processor intensive apps, then my first suspect would be a temperature related issue.

If the fan is clean, it may just be wearing out, and not able to keep the CPU cool.

Also, have you cleaned the power supply. I've seen machines crash when the power supply was really dirty (or the PSU fan had failed) due to the power supply over heating (although I don't think there were ever any beeps).

Old 10-27-2011, 08:28 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Without knowing/hearing what you are calling "chirping", it's hard to determine what exactly is wrong. It could be a failing piece of hardware, cracked motherboard vibrating (seen it), dust in a fan, overheating, etc.

The beeping - is it random or does it have a pattern? If it has a set pattern, then it's likely an error code built into the mobo (or some other piece of hardware), much like the motherboards that play Für Elise.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:07 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Some mobos have an led on them that will present a two digit code for errors. If you have one try running with the side removed and check the codes. I think it will code when Windows errors... ?

Old 10-27-2011, 09:48 AM

494 posts, read 1,610,118 times
Download a system monitoring program and see if you see and irregularities in any temperature reading or fan speeds.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:26 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,838 times
We'll need to know if there is any pattern to the chirping itself. Check for exploded or leaking capacitors on the motherboard.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers