Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 08:20 PM

901 posts, read 2,382,806 times

Advertisements

Never had this problem with Windows XP....

Usually whenever I've wanted to disconnect from the internet before shutting down my computer, I'd simply right-click on the adapter's icon in my tray and select "disable". Now that I have Windows 7, the icon in the tray doesn't give me the option, and I can't find the adapter listed in the Network and Sharing Center. Within the N&S Center, there's a link on the left that takes you to Network Connections where you can change the adapter's settings, but when I click on it, my adapter doesn't even show up in the NC window that opens. Yet somehow I'm still connected to the internet. So how come my ethernet adapter isn't showing up? Anyone know what I can do to find it? I don't like my computer to be constantly connected, but now I don't know what to do to disconnect myself, short of unplugging the ethernet cable from the back of my computer.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:24 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,601,376 times
Can't you click Disconnect from the Connect or Disconnect from Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center?

Old 11-06-2011, 06:31 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,934,851 times
There's really no need to do that before shutting your computer down, as it's going to be off it is disconnected anyway. Any reason why you do that?

Old 11-06-2011, 08:18 AM

422 posts, read 755,728 times
Yes I am wondering just like the last post. Why are you disconnecting
your internet everytime you shutdown you computer? You are going
to corrupt your driver and software for the adapter. Don't believe me
keep trying it. Recovery is your friend.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:17 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,472,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejano2828 View Post
keep trying it
. Recovery is your friend.
I don't believe you, but I'm not going to waste my time trying it. I disable devices from time to time (inbuilt webcam, bluetooth, etc.) without issue.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Can't you click Disconnect from the Connect or Disconnect from Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center?
You'd think so, wouldn't you? But when I click it, a box pops up in the bottom right of my desktop, above the system tray, that simply states I'm connected and shows me a link I can click which says "Open Network and Sharing Center".

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
There's really no need to do that before shutting your computer down, as it's going to be off it is disconnected anyway. Any reason why you do that?
Granted, you have a point...so I should have been a bit more clear. There are times when I still want to do things on the computer, but not be connected to the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejano2828 View Post
keep trying it. Recovery is your friend.
I'm not sure I agree with you about corrupting my driver and software. For the nearly 10 years I used my other computer with Windows XP, I ALWAYS disconnected myself from the internet by disabling the adapter...and never once did it corrupt the driver or software. As for Recovery, I'd rather not take that drastic of a step. The computer is only 2 weeks old...unless you think there was a problem with the factory install of the OS that might be causing this problem...?

Old 11-06-2011, 02:41 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,593,875 times
If you have the icon in the task bar you're right clicking it. Left click the icon and click on the box that says connected. You will have the option to disconnect. If the icon isn't there you can tell Windows to display it, but I can't remember where you tell it to offhand.... Ah, Control Panel/Notification Area Icons

Old 11-06-2011, 02:42 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,593,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I don't believe you, but I'm not going to waste my time trying it. I disable devices from time to time (inbuilt webcam, bluetooth, etc.) without issue.
I agree.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:49 PM

10,924 posts, read 21,934,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
Granted, you have a point...so I should have been a bit more clear. There are times when I still want to do things on the computer, but not be connected to the internet.
Same question, why? I can't think of any logical reason to do this.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Same question, why? I can't think of any logical reason to do this.
Personal preference. Why does there have to be a logical reason? I guess it's a force of habit...carried over from the days I had dial-up, and then later had a system that had a limited amount of RAM. If, for example, I wanted to work on my photos or play a game, I'd want to free up as much system resources as I could so that my programs didn't lag. That included shutting down my firewall and anti-virus programs, and I sure as hell wasn't going to allow myself to stay connected without my firewall or anti-virus running.

Anyway, it's not an issue anymore. I just went to Device Manager and uninstalled the network adapter, then restarted the system. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.