U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 08:59 PM

9,353 posts, read 16,135,577 times

Advertisements

Digital Scrapbooking? Then definitely the Mac, you won't have to buy anything else except maybe some fonts and clipart:

This comes free on a Mac:
Apple - iLife - iPhoto

My wife also does scrapbooking, but she has started Video scraping and pushing it to her website using iWeb. It is all free, you can make music in Garageband and add it to your scrapbook. The creative possibilities are endless on a mac. I think you need to buy one of these Mac things .

Oh I work with Audio equipment so I am constantly loading new software and plugging in new gadgets for my keyboards and... NOT 1 CRASH IN 6 YEARS on MY MAC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 12:32 AM

25,463 posts, read 12,328,862 times
Mac all the way...my Mac laptop is the best computer that I ever owned. Both of my sons use macs and with their advice I bought one. Have Gateway desktops for home use and when either of them need replacing, it will be with a Mac. Good luck.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:36 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,404,410 times
Quote:
NOT 1 CRASH IN 6 YEARS on MY MAC
We managed to crash ours in the first 4 mins. Liz

Old 09-08-2007, 09:48 AM

659 posts, read 1,281,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb83201 View Post
If you want to be entertained, get a PC. If you want to create, get a mac. It's easy to get caught up with performance specifications and ignore the software package that comes with OSX. Taking the software into account, you're surely getting what you pay for, even though mac laptops are a bit pricey. For me, battery life is HUGE when considering a laptop. The battery on my powerbook still lasts for hours after owning it for over a year. Compatibility is still somewhat of a headache with macs, but it has come a long way in the last decade. I personally find it better to come home from work and school, and fire up a different operating system. It's a breath of fresh air, and has a more personal feel. OSX uses a lot of hotkeys, and you will find these to be particularly useful on a laptop. So, in a sense, I feel kind of "bilingual" when it comes to operating systems. But I enjoy that. I would like to tackle linux next. You're never hurting yourself to learn something new about computers.
This is a good post because it points to being bilingual and indicates Linux.

Linux is worth a try and costs nothing on a laptop try Puppy linux for starters whole system only 50mb.

Plenty of options that work very very well straight from the CD, these can be bought on magazines have a look no risk.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:59 AM

To find the linux flavor for you and to download it free, go here: Linux Online Liz

Old 09-08-2007, 11:57 AM

159 posts, read 326,191 times
Question Wow, that's a first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
We managed to crash ours in the first 4 mins. Liz
That's a first. I have spoken with quite a few Mac owners in the past couple of years that haven't managed to crash their systems once.

Even PC Magazine, Computerworld, and PC World all comment on the stability of OS X.

Just curious, what were you doing that crashed your system?

Old 09-08-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Just curious, what were you doing that crashed your system?
I don't remember, hubby was actually on it at the time, I had my back turned and he managed to lock it up. Liz

Old 09-08-2007, 12:13 PM

159 posts, read 326,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
I don't remember, hubby was actually on it at the time, I had my back turned and he managed to lock it up. Liz
Sounds more like it may have been just an application that was frozen or taking to long to process rather than a crash. This happens occasionally, usually with third-party applications more than the native OS X apps.

If you encounter this again, you can Force Quit (like Ctrl-Alt-Del on a pc) a single application by pressing Command-Option-Esc. Then select the application that is not responding and click Force Quit. You can also restart the OS X finder this way as well without having to reboot.

Just a couple of OS X tips in case you weren't already aware of them.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Sounds more like it may have been just an application that was frozen or taking to long to process rather than a crash. This happens occasionally, usually with third-party applications more than the native OS X apps.

If you encounter this again, you can Force Quit (like Ctrl-Alt-Del on a pc) a single application by pressing Command-Option-Esc. Then select the application that is not responding and click Force Quit. You can also restart the OS X finder this way as well without having to reboot.
He tried that, nothing worked...

We had to reboot. And nothing 3rd party was on the computer yet, we had JUST booted it up as it was brand new. Liz

Old 09-08-2007, 06:34 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 6,823,855 times
I think macs have nailed the esthetics aspect of computers. It looks good, the interface is intuitive and is just a joy to be on. Plus people who do serious graphic design work swear by it- they say hands up and hands down that Photoshop is very different than on the PC. *However*, I could never get over the premium you seem to need to pay for that stuff. Anyway, that's me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers