Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 03:02 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Let me make sure I understand:

1) you reinstalled your OS, wiping your computer hard drive completely (i.e. all music gone). The music was still on your phone
2) You synced with itunes 10 which didnt touch the music on your phone (it also will not copy music from your phone to your drive, you can do this manually by putting your phone into hard drive mode and manually copying them - in the future). Itunes will never copy non-purchased music from an iphone to the computer.
3) When you updated to ios5 it completely wiped out your phone which had the only copy of your music.
That's correct. Searched and no music of backed up versions of the old songs. I know others who've lost the unpurchased music also, though not exactly as I described, but when switching to a new phone. It's maddening.

Quote:
I weaned all my kids from buying music from Apple. They buy from Amazon instead.
I'll have to check that out.

I like iPhone and we have 4 in our family, but am not as enamored with the supposed beauty, grace and ease of use of apple products as others. I find iTunes and switching phones confounding. I still don't have an iPad as I don't want to commit further to Apple devices.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 03:04 PM

99 posts, read 174,442 times
Default Get a NAS

As mentioned previously, the key is to not use iTunes to rip and/or import the music, but keep the whole thing away from it. Rip the music into mp3 and put them somewhere on your hard-drive. Then, use the "add folder to iTunes" option to let iTunes "discover" your files, without touching them. Now, if anything happens to your i* devices and software, the mp3s are still there.

Now, to protect the files from computer and hard-drive failures, or laptop wipes, you'll want to either (1) back-up the mp3 folder onto an external hard-drive regularly, or (2) buy a NAS, stick it onto your network, put all your files there, and back-up from NAS onto one (or more) of the computers.

Option 2 is more expensive, but once the files are on the NAS, every computer and entertainment device in the house can see the music all the time and play it, which is a nice extra benefit.

You can also use the NAS to back-up all your computers regularly without dealing with DVDs or external computers, you can share your video library, if you have one, other common files, run a home web server, photo station, home surveillance, print server, etc. etc... It's really a very nice thing to have in today's digital home. Feel free to PM me if all of this was over your head .

Old 11-10-2011, 03:10 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
A NAS is indeed a nice choice for storage of data like this.

But you don't need a NAS to share your music library on a home network. Just share the My Music (or whatever yours is called) folder. Find that shared folder on the other computers and add it to each installation of iTunes.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:26 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
This probably belongs in the Tech Forum, but there are so many smart techies here in Austin I'll give it a try.

Once again I lost all songs on my iPhone during upgrade to iOS5. I only have the "Purchased" music remaining. This makes me so mad.

So, before I sit down for the third time in 4 years, over the span of days and weeks, and insert music CDs one at a time to be imported into iTunes, and have my wife and kids do the same for the CDs they want, I'm wondering if there is a way to burn all the family music CDs one last time to an external hard drive folder and then have all that music available in a common shared library to any device or computer on the home network, including iPhones.

Has anyone done exactly this? What are the steps?

Steve
If you have an external hard drive, why not use it to back up the files on your computer? I do that with my MacBook Pro at least once per month, after having lost all of my files several years ago to a hard drive crash. Time Macnine on my Mac does that automatically, all I have to do is plug it into the hard drive and it backs everything up.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
But you don't need a NAS to share your music library on a home network. Just share the My Music (or whatever yours is called) folder. Find that shared folder on the other computers and add it to each installation of iTunes.
The biggest thing for me is to have it always accessible on the network... sharing it on a laptop that might leave the house with me is not family-friendly ("You kids can listen to your music when I come home" ).

Old 11-10-2011, 03:47 PM

361 posts, read 1,163,902 times
Will post once again, try icloud. It will be accessible anywhere.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:25 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulzar View Post
As mentioned previously, the key is to not use iTunes to rip and/or import the music, but keep the whole thing away from it. Rip the music into mp3 and put them somewhere on your hard-drive. Then, use the "add folder to iTunes" option to let iTunes "discover" your files, without touching them. Now, if anything happens to your i* devices and software, the mp3s are still there.

Now, to protect the files from computer and hard-drive failures, or laptop wipes, you'll want to either (1) back-up the mp3 folder onto an external hard-drive regularly, or (2) buy a NAS, stick it onto your network, put all your files there, and back-up from NAS onto one (or more) of the computers.

Option 2 is more expensive, but once the files are on the NAS, every computer and entertainment device in the house can see the music all the time and play it, which is a nice extra benefit.

You can also use the NAS to back-up all your computers regularly without dealing with DVDs or external computers, you can share your video library, if you have one, other common files, run a home web server, photo station, home surveillance, print server, etc. etc... It's really a very nice thing to have in today's digital home. Feel free to PM me if all of this was over your head .
Thanks, that's pretty much what I'm trying to accomplish. I have a GoFlex Home Network (http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/network_storage/home-network-storage/ - broken link) External Hard drive and I will rip all my CDs to there using the windows standard music tools. Then I'll do as suggested and let iTunes find that music. Will probably test with just a few CDs first.

The Go Flex is pretty cool. Like a mini-Cloud. I can access it from my iPhone or any computer anywhere to get files.

Steve

Old 11-10-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
The Go Flex is pretty cool. Like a mini-Cloud. I can access it from my iPhone or any computer anywhere to get files.
Yes, that's exactly what I was suggesting! Don't forget that those things sometimes die, too, and make a backup of your music on one of your other computers. The Go Flex will likely have some automated backup software provided.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:30 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
That's correct. Searched and no music of backed up versions of the old songs. I know others who've lost the unpurchased music also, though not exactly as I described, but when switching to a new phone. It's maddening.

Steve
Where did you search, did you look in itunes to see not backups of songs but images of the phone itself? When you did the ios5 upgrade it took a snapshot of the phone before it did the upgrade. Also when you sync itunes make backups of your phone. The phone needs to be plugged in. There will not be any individual songs located anywhere.

iOS: How to back up

<<How to restore from a backup
To restore information from a backup, use one of the following methods after connecting your iOS device to the computer with which you normally sync:

Right-click (or Control-click) the device and choose Restore from Backup
If you have a new phone, you can connect to iTunes and it will prompt to restore from your backup>>

Old 11-10-2011, 08:04 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
actually, the Amazon cloud is the best for music storage since it is free and unlimited. I have 50 gigs of space for $50/year for pics, documents, etc. Music storage is unlimited and free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers