Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 01:39 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times

Advertisements

A few years back, many of us were swamped with VHS tapes.

Out of curiosity, how many of the following do you have? (roughly)

CDs

DVDs

BluRay

How do you store them?
Original case

Sitting on shelves

Diskgear storage cabinet

soft pack folios

other

I'm about to get organized, have an idea on how, but want to get input before investing the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 02:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
I have like 500 CDs... but that's mostly because there weren't really alternatives in the 80s and really early 90s. I started my mp3 collection in 1994 when I first got AOL, so I hadn't bought a CD since then, lol. Now with iTunes and everything, there's even less need for media. I can't believe it took so long for CDs to go out.

I have maybe 100 DVDs... I wasn't big on them. I have less than 20 Blurays.

All in original cases on the shelf, collecting dust. I've ripped everything to hard drives to make it easier.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:27 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
120 cds, mostly bought in the 90's. Rarely bought cd's in the 2000's, last one was from Lady Gaga in 2009.

Dvd's - maybe 80? Vast majority of them are the cheap bootleg Phillippine dvds that sell from 40 to 75 pesos each. They look like the real thing though.

Blu - Rays - I rarely buy these, and only buy the best movie titles worth having in Bluray. Or else I'd buy them because they were on bargain sales.

I rarely use my home theater and hifi stereo anymore, I listen to most of my music and watch most of my movies by my high end computer. I do this while browsing the internet or processing my emails.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:39 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
A few years back, many of us were swamped with VHS tapes.

Out of curiosity, how many of the following do you have? (roughly)

CDs

DVDs

BluRay

How do you store them?
Original case

Sitting on shelves

Diskgear storage cabinet

soft pack folios

other

I'm about to get organized, have an idea on how, but want to get input before investing the time.
Part of the appeal of VHS was that they were easy to display and "show off" the collection. DVDs, too, for the most part.

Anyways, for me:

CDs: I bought my first CD in 1994. Between then and around 2002 or so, I only bought maybe three others. In total to date, I have definitely owned less than 100 CDs. I currently have about 20 floating around. Got rid of the cases a while ago.

DVDs: I could walk over and count them...but too lazy at the moment. I'd guess around 30. If you count the DVDs that were stolen, lost, or sold back in the day; I probably owned around 50 total.

BluRay: Zero. I never saw the point. By the time BluRay came around it was evident its' time was quickly winding down. Why drop the $$$$ on it?

Old 11-20-2011, 06:27 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
I have probably 15 or 20 factory created CDs (probably had about 50 or 60 at one time). In cases, most in a box somewhere as all were ripped to the HDD years ago.

About 75 CDs in the car, all are either burnt copies of originals or digital copies that I own. Next car will have a phone / MP3 connection of some sort and that will be the end of them.

Probably 50 DVDs. Stored in a couple of drawers in the entertainment center in the original cases. Most bought by wife or kids.

2 Blue Rays. Don't own a player yet, but since they are selling those Blue Ray/DVD combo packs for the same price as a DVD, figured might as well start getting those.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:50 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Way too many CDs, burned and regular. I still listen to mixes and the occasional regular CD in the car, but mostly they are collecting dust. My storage is not sophisticated; I have them stacked in wine crates, much the same as my vinyl albums, except vertical.
I need to do something about them. I've ripped a lot of the music, I'm just sick of looking at them uselessly sitting there.

Maybe 150 DVDs, less than 20 blu-rays, but I must say I really love movies and especially enjoy blu-ray. There *is* a difference. They are in the entertainment center in our bedroom. I am running out of storage space.

I have a nice monitor but prefer to watch my movies at night in my cosy bed on a large screen. I use Netflix streaming all the time but do enjoy the features that a regular dvd offers.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:39 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I'm getting the sense that streaming and cloud-based storage and other storage are the way many of you are going, and that storage might not be as much an issue. I have a lot of data CDs that rarely get used but still have to stick around, and have been realizing that most of the storage is either messy, space-consuming, or expensive. The existing binder sleeves I've tried are awkward (too deep for normal binders if they have four on a side, too floppy and short with two on a side). The discgear containers are fairly neat and space conserving, but not really meant to sit on shelving for easy access. For some of the disks, I've resorted to sticking them back on spindles, but that makes access a problem again. It looks like I'm going to have to design my own binder sleeves to get something satisfactory. Oh well. If you run across anything that really works well for you, you might post a link to it here. Thanks.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:52 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
I have a huge collection of CD's, never bought MP#'s because most of my CD collection came from used CD place $4 to $5 a piece and I only buy real good albums that have all good tracks preferably ones that are live or "best of". They get bought, ripped to HDD and get placed in a binder on the shelf.

I don't purchase movies, don't see the point when I can just rent it again (which is rare) especially now with on demand.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:06 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
Zero

I stream my movies with Netflix. Stream music with Mog.

I have an mp3 collection but I sold all of my CDs for cash 7 years ago.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:14 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
Whatever you do, don’t get rid of the originals.

Firstly, you can’t trust technology.

Secondly, legally, it’s questionable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers