U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 08:11 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
857 posts, read 2,687,360 times

Advertisements

Ok last week one of my machines got infected with the lastest release of that worm - so I purchased the new Norton 2007 Security package did a full scan it found the worm but only "partially removed it" huh? So I did another scan it still finds it in 18 registry entries - so I navigate in regedit to where it says it lives, but those entries dont exist. - Symantecs site has removal instructions but they are vague and not applicable to this situation it seems - so I pay for a $10 support call to Symantec - after 30 minutes of explaining the situation - well it never was understood so a waste there.

Then I buy Spywarebot based on another thread here - ok it finds a lot of stuff but still this worm persists - what is happening to the best I can see is someone hijacked that machine and is sending email through something - all I see is the Norton email scanner go up and down in the task bar. I was able to catch it once and saw the email address that it is sending to or from not sure. Some hotmail account. This after spending 60 for Norton and 60 for spy bot.

So now I am totally confused on how to get rid of this thing - its my wifes computer and she needs to get going. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 09:17 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,405,209 times
Please go to HiJack This and unzip the newest version into a new dedicated folder,

Create a folder on the C: drive called C:\Programs\HJT.
Unzip HijackThis into this folder. Launch Hijack This, then "Do a system scan and save log file".

This will generate a text file that will list all running processes, all applications that are loaded automatically when you start Windows, and more.
Most things are harmless and needed so don't make any changes.

Then go to ASAP and pick a site from the list on the left side. Go to the forums, sign in as a member and look for the proper security section.

Your likely to get help quicker if you start your own thread, Post a log in a new thread started by you please. Posting a HJT log in someone else's thread gets to confusing and there is a good chance it will get overlooked.

Make sure you post the contents of the text file as a copy and paste...do not attach it as an attachment. Liz

Old 08-27-2007, 09:22 AM

Thanks I'll give it a try - weee another day battling the trojans.....

is there a service that I can shut down temporarily?

Old 08-27-2007, 05:29 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,162,851 times
Go to Google.

Type avg in the search bar.

The first non-sponsored link should be Grisoft's AVG, with areas for free downloads. Download the free antivirus, the free antispyware, and if you're feeling frisky get the rootkit too. Run these, then report back.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tee View Post
Go to Google.

Type avg in the search bar.

The first non-sponsored link should be Grisoft's AVG, with areas for free downloads. Download the free antivirus, the free antispyware, and if you're feeling frisky get the rootkit too. Run these, then report back.
Thanks got the logs up on the Malware forum as southernlady suggested - and got a response - I am hesitant to download, install anything (which is impossible anyway) until I see what they say - thanks

Old 08-27-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks got the logs up on the Malware forum as southernlady suggested - and got a response - I am hesitant to download, install anything (which is impossible anyway) until I see what they say - thanks
We always say, too many cooks spoil the pot. If you have a response, let them do their work. Liz

Old 08-27-2007, 06:23 PM

Thanks great forum - great that people want to help people () I try to do my part. Thanks again SL

Old 08-28-2007, 06:10 AM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,162,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
We always say, too many cooks spoil the pot. If you have a response, let them do their work. Liz
LOL!

Old 08-28-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Then I buy Spywarebot based on another thread here
I just realized what you posted there...

I read it but didn't read it, kwim? Spywarebot is adware/spyware. What you wanted was Spybot

Spybot is FREE. Liz

Old 09-04-2007, 04:06 PM

I award southernlady5464 as senior technology leader for this forum...

Many thanks and many safer than before - nice wake up call and nice ending - agin thanks to southernlady5464

Thanks SL

Cow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or