Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 10:12 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times

Advertisements

I've been collected music CD's s since the format first came out, and I have perhaps 2500 music CDs (counting discs, not cases), maybe 300-400 data CDs, maybe 200 DVDs, and no BluRay or other hi res discs at all. My 37" TV doesn't justify hi res video discs. I also have 400-500 LPs and maybe 250 casettes. No 8-Tracks anymore.

They are all stored in original cases, stacked vertically, in a nice light and climate controlled area.

I've ripped a certain percentage of the CDs I have, but I have a loooog ways to go. If I run into something I like, I will generally try to buy a CD on half.com or somewhere if I can for archival purposes, since I believe original factory CDs will have a longer life than the CDs I burn myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 05:38 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Secondly, legally, it’s questionable.
There is no question about it, if you don't own the original audio disc those copies are illegal. Audio is covered under the Home recording Act, there is no provision for video because they don't need one. Backup copies have never been addressed with video and never will be unless the DMCA changes, it's illegal to break encryption. Whether you're entitled to a backup copy becomes moot point because you have to break the law to obtain a copy.

Having said that no one has ever been sued for copying discs where they have the original copy. All the lawsuits in court revolve around file sharing.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:38 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
I have around 150 DVD movies on DVD-R and another few hundred on external hard drive.This includes some tv shows. I dont have a blue ray player so no blue rays

Old 11-21-2011, 06:43 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I'm getting the sense that streaming and cloud-based storage and other storage are the way many of you are going, and that storage might not be as much an issue.
Not really for me. I "downloaded" a handful of songs here and there but most of my music is my own....but some of it came from mixed CDRs I got from friends. I bought music on vinyl until around 2005 and had a program that captured audio so I could store the music on my HDD.

For movies....either a roommate, GF, or I, had a Netflix account. And there was always the local video store.

I'm not really into the whole cloud storage thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

Having said that no one has ever been sued for copying discs where they have the original copy. All the lawsuits in court revolve around file sharing.
Same old song sung since the days of bootlegging vinyl in the early 40s.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:28 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
150 CD's
10 DVD's
1 BRay

I was never the buying movie type. Rarely go back to watch them. There's always another movie I want to see. I only buy my absolute favorite movies.
The only reason I have a Bray is it came as a combo pack.

CD's are all ripped... not sure why I keep the discs anymore.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:25 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I'm getting the sense that streaming and cloud-based storage and other storage are the way many of you are going For some of the disks, I've resorted to sticking them back on spindles, but that makes access a problem again.
Heh, that's an idea.

I'm not too worried about the legality of CDs, as someone else mentioned, bootlegging has been around a long time. But I guess I still do have them all, anyway--so far.

I still have a turntable set up (along with my vinyl) as well as my CD player, and there are several go-to DVDs that I watch several times a year.

But I have to admit I use mp3s and Netflix streaming quite a bit.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:45 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
we probably have about...

200 - 250 store-bought music CDs
50 - 75 store-bought DVDs
150 - 200 burned music on CD-Rs (slim-line jewel cases)
*600 - 700 DVD-Rs (slim-line jewel cases)

*I have about 300 - 400 movies/TV shows/documentaries that I transferred to DVD-R on a Panasonic HDR burner of old blank VHS tapes I made and perhaps another 700 - 800 movies/docs/TV shows that I burned directly to a DVD-R after recording content directly to the HDR. These 900 - 1100 discs are stored in a combination of two media cabinets and the little cardboard drawer/cases that you'd find at IKEA.

know I was getting a little mental with the HDR recording but imagined I was building up a library of entertainment to watch after I ditched the dish which we have since done. About 40% of the content has been catalogued onto a word doc that contains the description cut and pasted from IMDB, All Movie Guide, etc. Another 30% have had the titles recorded but the discs are not numbered. The remaining 30% have yet to be catalouged.

plan on picking up one of the rotating CD/DVD towers soon to store the store bought CD/DVDs and CD-Rs, which will free up space in the media cabinets for most of the recorded movie library. Would consider some type of electronic disc storage device for the recorded media eventually but, I like the touchy-feely aspect of the store bought CDs and those likely will continue to be my media of choice for music in the car.

Last edited by Ghengis; 01-06-2012 at 09:59 AM..

Old 01-06-2012, 07:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,009 times
CDs - 10,000+
DVDs - 1800+
BRDs - 350+

I'm a bit "OCD"..

Old 01-06-2012, 11:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,150 times
i'll sold out my dvd's , cd's in 2010 now i've just go through bluray and mp4 latest music buzz ....

Old 01-07-2012, 05:05 PM

471 posts, read 1,606,866 times
I own a few hundred CDs, a few dozen DVDs and am just starting to buy Blu-rays.

They are all sitting on various shelves, not to show them off () but so they are easy to get to.

I actually owned more dvds until about three years ago when I realized, well with the help of some other people on an A/V forum , that too many times I had been buying dvds of movies I barely liked....but pretty much never watched after buying them & then watching them one time. So I sat down one day and mercilessly went through them & kept only the shows I truly enjoyed enough to watch multiple times and now my shelves only contain material I highyl value.

Despite it not being "cool" anymore I will always keep my most valued movies and music in physical form because:

1) hard drives can crash unpredictably. Viruses can screw up music and video files.

2) related to the above: I will not pay or deal with the hassle of "cloud storage" when I can have my own storage system right in my own home.

3) as a movie and music snob I want to hear and see those forms of art as best as possible.

a. while I use my MP3 player a lot in the car because having (nearly) my entire music collection at my fingertips is a worthy trade off for lessened sound quality, even using a 320kbps bit rate I know the music is missing something because the MP3, AAC, ogg vorbis and other file compression formats literally delete parts of the music that - according to scienctific research - the "average" person cannot hear anyway. I'll admit it does take careful listening via a decent home system to hear the difference between those formats and the unadulterated .wav files on the CD, but even just knowing something is missing bothers me (and yes, I know about the placebo effect in the field of audio).

b. movies in Blu-ray form, if they have been transferred properly from the original film or digital master, can look so stunning and so realistic even on a basic-brand HDTV, 42" or larger. I think even well-transferred dvds can look surprisingly good on the same TV. But movies via the typical cable or sat system? To my eyes, phew. To get all those other channels crammed into their limited-space broadcast signal or copper wire transmission system, those companies usually must compress all those signals to a certain extent to make them all fit, which in turn deletes parts of the original sources' visual information just like the audio formats mentioned previously (these are informally called "lossy compression" formats, because pieces of the original source is tossed away). This is why on certain shows and channels, many times you can see very visible pixels and outright chunks of ugly blocking, along with gray-ish blacks and weak color. But with most Blu-ray discs, unless the studio was really sloppy, you won't see those things and will instead see jet-black blacks i.e. great contrast levels, proper color reproduction and smooth seamless images. And almost all Blu-rays contain an uncompressed .wav audio track, and many that use high-resolution .wavs using the 96kHz/24bit format, improving sound quality IMO over the lossy Dolby Digital format used with most cable/sat systems, but this is only apparent when a decent audio system is utilized, in my experience something around (minimum) $300 for stereo and $700 for surround.

Lastly, for albums I really like, I buy the CD.* For songs I just kind of like, I'll buy the digital version from Amazon or directly from the label.

* or high resolution version if possible which means the dvd-audio or sacd format, though both formats have been hit hard by the MP3 "revolution" and releases have slowed to a trickle, but fortunately the number of surround albums is increasing surprisingly. My last multichannel music purchase was a King Crimson dvd-audio, In the Court of the Crimson King.

Btw for whatever reason, among others quite a few GM and Acuras since @2004 come with dvd-audio surround systems - look for the "DVD-AUDIO" logo somewhere on the faceplate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers