U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-27-2011, 07:08 AM

25,874 posts, read 18,941,242 times
My desktop does kind of the same thing!

I put my camera memory stick in the tower and it doesn't even respond. Never mind say that it's unreadable.

I put my memory stick in my laptop and it works just fine.

Frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-27-2011, 09:34 AM

4,445 posts, read 3,479,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My desktop does kind of the same thing!

I put my camera memory stick in the tower and it doesn't even respond. Never mind say that it's unreadable.

I put my memory stick in my laptop and it works just fine.

Frustrating.
is that what it is then?? I have a Gateway laptop.

Unread 11-27-2011, 12:05 PM

25,874 posts, read 18,941,242 times
Naw...all our computers are Dell and it used to pick it up just fine. Then it started ignoring it. I have had some computers (HP) that pick it up and then act like you never plugged anything in...but then they recognize the card again after you turn the computer off and on again.

I dunno. Computers are weird.

Unread 11-27-2011, 12:59 PM

well my computer acknowledges the memory card, it just says it can't read it, yet it works in my camera.

Unread 11-27-2011, 01:14 PM

18,571 posts, read 19,179,312 times
Has it ever worked in the computer? What is the make/model of the camera? What kind of chip? SD, XD, etc.

Unread 11-27-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Has it ever worked in the computer? What is the make/model of the camera? What kind of chip? SD, XD, etc.
its always worked on my computer, both by putting the memory card in the slot in my computer or by hooking up the USB cord. I noticed it has a lock on the memory card..but its not locked. I'm still able to take pics on my camera with the memory card..it just won't upload. I even went to walgreens to use their kiosk and that didn't work either.

the camera is a Nikon Coolpix and the chip is an SD 1GB. I've had both for 5 years so who knows..it could just be old.

Unread 11-27-2011, 06:48 PM

2,101 posts, read 1,708,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I'm still able to take pics on my camera with the memory card..it just won't upload. I even went to walgreens to use their kiosk and that didn't work either.
Are you sure that you are actually getting pics onto the card while it's in the camera? Can you see them on the camera (in the gallery), and are they still there when you take the card out?

It could be that the camera is not seeing the card anymore either, and just taking pictures on it's internal memory.

Unread 11-27-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Are you sure that you are actually getting pics onto the card while it's in the camera? Can you see them on the camera (in the gallery), and are they still there when you take the card out?

It could be that the camera is not seeing the card anymore either, and just taking pictures on it's internal memory.
ya its taking it on the memory card. when I look through the gallery, all the new and old pics are there. the camera itself only takes 4 pics on its internal memory and thats already been used up. The pics don't show up if I take the card out.

Unread 11-27-2011, 08:16 PM

249 posts, read 297,769 times
This same thing happened to me. On the card there is a little thingy (technical term) push it up (or down) and try again.

But what I did was to use the wire that came with the camera to upload the photos directly to the computer from the camera with the card still inside the camera. That is the easiest.

There is also a device called a card-reader, but I didn't want to spend more money.

Hey, post some photos!

Unread 11-27-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelita189 View Post
This same thing happened to me. On the card there is a little thingy (technical term) push it up (or down) and try again.

But what I did was to use the wire that came with the camera to upload the photos directly to the computer from the camera with the card still inside the camera. That is the easiest.

There is also a device called a card-reader, but I didn't want to spend more money.

Hey, post some photos!
ya, are you talking about the "lock"? I tried that..it wasn't even locked anyways. You're talking about the USB cord right? tried that too..still not working. What's a card reader? maybe that's something I need. I don't care if I need to get a new memory card, I just want to be able to get all my pictures off the memory card and in print and I can't even do that because none of the picture kiosks at walgreens are reading it. I pretty much just need to figure out what it is so I don't waste money on buying/fixing the wrong thing.

if I dont figure this out by tomorrow night, I'll go to best buy first thing Tuesday morning and see what they figure out.

and I already have some photos up. I have no recent pics of me which is why I need this memory card. My dad doesn't even know what I look like since he last saw me 4 years ago and I've been meaning to email him some pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers