Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 04:00 PM

13 posts, read 13,610 times

Advertisements

ok guys so my computer is random shutting down on me and i think its a virus i seen some of the post were plenty of people disagree saying somethings like its a heat problem or the power supply well let me tell you why i think its defiantly a virus for starters new battery new charger this problem tho i thought was solved it started showing again shutting down 1 it doesn't shutdown when i have it unplugged from the charger so one would assume it would be the charger but the new one would rule out that assumption now as i type this im doing so in the safety mode with networking not a problem its plugged in everything is fine what do i do. i restart and run it normal, it shuts down again i go back to safety mode and for a few hours still nothing happens i restart again run windows in normal mode it does it again my conclusion tho i am no expert, i dont think its a hardware problem or the power supply or the battery if it runs fine in safety mode but only shows the problem in normal mode i strongly feel the problem could well be a virus. what does you guys think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 04:43 PM

8,241 posts, read 13,336,747 times
1. How long does it remain in Normal mode before shutting down? Is it random or about the same time?
2. Is there a message or warning of any kind before or during shutdown?
3. What errors do the System and Application section on Event Viewer (START > RUN > eventvwr.msc > OK) display?
4. Have you scanned your system using any virus/malware scanners, if so which ones? What scanner is currently installed and active on your computer?
5. Have you checked to see what processes/services listed in Windows startup? Is Windows starting up much slow-er in normal mode? Does the system run sluggish in normal mode?
6. How warm/hot is the air being blown from the case fan in the back/side? Does the bottom seem to be getting extremely hot? I know you mentioned it is not HW related but still have to add this.

Note: I am guessing you are using a laptop but what is your Windows version?

Old 10-10-2012, 04:46 PM

1 its random on a bad day ill stay on for a 1 minute
2 no warning messages of any kind just shut down as if i had no battery plugged in and i pull the charger out dead.
3 i am not familiar with that
4 yes i use mallwarebyte i dont have any antivirus tho
5 no i haven't if you can guide me with 3 and 5 ill be happy to try.

yes it runs very sluggish in normal mode compared to safe mode

i am using a laptop and its windows 7 professional

Last edited by dangati; 10-10-2012 at 06:03 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 05:54 PM

15,402 posts, read 25,675,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangati View Post
2 no warning messages of any kind just shut down as if i had no battery plugged in and i pull the charger out dead.
Do you mean it turns off instantly, or do you mean it goes through the normal Windows shutdown process?

Old 10-10-2012, 06:02 PM

it turns of instantly and its much faster in safe mode then normal the internet speed everything else that allows that mode to work

Old 10-10-2012, 06:14 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,135,575 times
If you have your heart set that it's a virus/worm/trojan come up in safe mode with networking and:

~ verify Malwarebytes has the current defs run a complete system scan...

~ install and run SuperAntiSpyware, make sure the defs are current and run a complete system scan...

SUPERAntiSpyware - Downloads

After the system is up for a couple of minutes do you get a popup that looks like it's coming from Microsoft Security shield? (little yellow shield in system tray) or warnings your system is infected click here to fix it?

Do you monitor the CPU utilization?

Last edited by plwhit; 10-10-2012 at 06:24 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 06:59 PM

i dont have my heart set im open to anything but it would seem that no one would disagree with the symptoms my laptop has bin getting to disprove that it isn't a virus attack ill will try the superanitspyware thank you.

no i dont monitor the cpu utilization im a amateur when it comes to these things i know to some degree that's all

Old 10-10-2012, 07:57 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,135,575 times
Quote:
i dont have my heart set im open to anything but it would seem that no one would disagree with the symptoms my laptop has bin getting to disprove that it isn't a virus attack ill will try the superanitspyware thank you.

no i dont monitor the cpu utilization im a amateur when it comes to these things i know to some degree that's all
Control+Alt+Delete, click on the Performance tab. That shows you processor utilization. Bring up your system normally, watch the CPU utilization until it suddenly dies...

Did you do what was asked of you earlier?

Quote:
3. What errors do the System and Application section on Event Viewer (START > RUN > eventvwr.msc > OK) display?
You don't have to be familiar with it, just do it and post what you see (or copy/paste)

As far as what programs are set to run when Windows starts:

Windows startup programs. What are they? Are they required? How can I disable them?

Old 10-10-2012, 08:16 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,444,060 times
Quote:
1 its random on a bad day ill stay on for a 1 minute
On a good day long will it stay on?

Old 10-11-2012, 11:08 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,045,132 times
Wow. One item of punctuation in the original post. I can't and won't read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers