U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 09:17 PM

21,187 posts, read 5,519,401 times

Advertisements

I have a home PC through the local cable company and I believe the tenent next door (same building) has a WiFi router. Can that interfere with my PC? I've been getting a lot of Windows Internet Explorer Not Responding and it seems to happen when the people next door are home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 09:35 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,247,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
I have a home PC through the local cable company and I believe the tenent next door (same building) has a WiFi router. Can that interfere with my PC? I've been getting a lot of Windows Internet Explorer Not Responding and it seems to happen when the people next door are home.
How do you connect to your cable provided connection? If wireless, very possible if both of you are on the same WiFi channel. Their, or your microwave oven, when running, can also interfere with wifi connections.

If you have wireless it may be as simple as configuring your router to a different channel. I checked my daughters wifi the other week, and 5 other wireless networks were present, and all were on the same channel (6). I moved her router to channel 11 and it immediately improved.

Some will sense interference and move to a channel with less interference, some won't (old or cheap).

Old 11-28-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
How do you connect to your cable provided connection? If wireless, very possible if both of you are on the same WiFi channel. Their, or your microwave oven, when running, can also interfere with wifi connections.

If you have wireless it may be as simple as configuring your router to a different channel. I checked my daughters wifi the other week, and 5 other wireless networks were present, and all were on the same channel (6). I moved her router to channel 11 and it immediately improved.

Some will sense interference and move to a channel with less interference, some won't (old or cheap).
I have the cable connected directly to my computer so my connection is not wireless. I have a standard hook-up with the cable into a cable company modum that is connected to my computer.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:09 PM

16,176 posts, read 27,459,755 times
Quote:
I have the cable connected directly to my computer so my connection is not wireless. I have a standard hook-up with the cable into a cable company modum that is connected to my computer.
If your router and modem are wired to your computer, you don't need Wi-Fi. For the time being, access your router and turn the wireless signal off.

If your wireless signal is on without a password, then others nearby can use your Wi-Fi signal to connect to the Internet if they want. If somebody else is using your network, then it will slow down (your browser may take a long time to open any page).

Old 11-29-2011, 07:44 AM

1,594 posts, read 2,548,008 times
Quote:
I have a home PC through the local cable company and I believe the tenent next door (same building) has a WiFi router. Can that interfere with my PC?
Quote:
If your computer is connected via Ethernet cable, then there is no possible way a Wifi router could affect your computer - UNLESS your computer also has a wireless card that is attempting to connect to said router.

Quote:
Windows Internet Explorer
Well there's your problem.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:15 AM

13,720 posts, read 24,635,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
If your computer is connected via Ethernet cable, then there is no possible way a Wifi router could affect your computer - UNLESS your computer also has a wireless card that is attempting to connect to said router.

Well there's your problem.
Although the first part of your post is useful, there is nothing wrong with Internet Explorer, assuming they are using IE9.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:27 AM

Thanks for all the info. You've all been a big help.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:20 AM

10,298 posts, read 10,394,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
If your router and modem are wired to your computer, you don't need Wi-Fi. For the time being, access your router and turn the wireless signal off.

If your wireless signal is on without a password, then others nearby can use your Wi-Fi signal to connect to the Internet if they want. If somebody else is using your network, then it will slow down (your browser may take a long time to open any page).
He doesn't have a router. He's connected directly to the cable modem via ethernet cable.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:40 AM

16,301 posts, read 24,247,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
He doesn't have a router. He's connected directly to the cable modem via ethernet cable.
Then I sure hope he has a firewall and anti-virus software running.

I would buy a cheap router solely for the protection if offers, and disable the wireless since it is not needed.

How a router protects your computer: Any and ALL inbound traffic from the internet that is not a direct response to a request you have made from your computer is dropped by the router.

Personally I would never connect a PC directly to the internet without the protection a router provides. Routers are often refereed to as NAT Firewalls because they block ALL unsolicited inbound traffic. There is a constant "background" noise of lots of really bad stuff on the internet.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:47 AM

901 posts, read 1,952,400 times
If the OP is hardwired to the modem, there's no reason a WiFi router should be affecting his connection, even if he has a WiFi adapter enabled on his computer. For what it's worth, my dad was constantly having this same issue...his built-in WiFi adapter was enabled and he still couldn't connect, even though his adapter was getting a very strong signal from the router. I plugged in an Ethernet cable and he was immediately able to connect to the internet. So I have no idea what caused his problem but I did discover something on his system this past weekend. He was trying to open a web page and IE simply wouldn't do it. So I ran the troubleshooter and it told me to do the following....

Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections Tab > LAN Settings > make sure there is a checkmark next to "Automatically detect settings".

I did that, and he was immediately able to connect again.

Not sure if I'm being helpful or not.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers