Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:43 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,490,461 times

Advertisements

So, I have a Sony Vaio that very recently the fan started running continously. Before, the far would run upon start up and then stop. Occasionally, it would kick on and then off again but now it runs all the time. It seemed to start after my nephew downloaded a Lego game. After reading online about some of the possibilites I ran Adaware and also I looked at my cpu to see if anything was amiss there. The Adaware came back with nothing and the cpu looks fine. Any other ideas of what could cause this? Should I be concerned? TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 09:08 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,115,959 times
Run this app and let us know what the temps are...

Core Temp

Old 12-06-2011, 09:26 PM

Here you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Laptop fan keeps running-coretemp-scr.png  

Old 12-07-2011, 06:47 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,624,262 times
I cant see your temps since im at work and its blocked but here is my guess. Your pc is probably dirty inside(dust). Its probably causing your chip or video card to run hotter than it should.

Or maybe you added a program that is taking up more cpu power running in the background or something like that.

One last thought. You can try elevating your laptop to clear the inlet vents and/or change your power settings.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:54 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,494,959 times
How technical are you? When my fan starts running loud/constantly I pull the keyboard off and clean it out. I can do a much better job that way than just blowing it out with compressed air.

Also, you might try researching Sony message and support forums. There could be some weird known issue causing the fan to kick on.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:50 AM

I am just a tad handy really. I just may try taking the 8 screws out of the bottom and see how it goes.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:31 PM

23,519 posts, read 69,907,878 times
"It seemed to start after my nephew downloaded a Lego game." Some flash games are brutal in the way they use processor cycles, just the way some DOS apps keep a continuous polling going for no other reason than that was the way the coding worked. I would suspect some part of the game or component running in the background. Cleaning your fans and keyboards won't hurt, but if the problem doesn't go away, look towards that download as the next possible cause.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:38 PM

13,715 posts, read 30,999,856 times
Cleaning a keyboard won't do anything to cool the cpu. I think the person who wrote about removing the keyboard was simply saying for his laptop that removing the keyboard gave him access to the cpu cooling related parts that needed cleaning.

I think simply using compressed air should be sufficient.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:59 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,115,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Here you go.
Nothing seems wrong, usually if a critical overtemp condition has occurred there would be a "!" next to the Core Temps...

The TjMax is the maximum CPU temp defined by the manufacturer of the CPU.

Looking at other forums concerning your system the values are OK...

Safe Operating Temperatures (Sony Vaio CW)

Have you noticed any unusual smells coming from the system?

Checking for debris inside it won't hurt...

Some excellent video's on taking apart your system (don't know which model you have)

http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/Sony_Laptop

NFN, assume it's a Windows system...

Have you tried bring the system up in Safe Mode and let it sit to see if the fans stop? Would indicate something heavy is running in the back round in normal mode if they do...

Old 12-07-2011, 07:42 PM

I decided to uninstall the game which really didn't help much. After that I took compressed air and blew into every opening on the side of the laptop. Not sure if its my imagination or not but after this and rebooting the fan is running what seems to be normally. I think ill keep my eye on it and go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers