U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 06:34 AM

453 posts, read 1,964,339 times

Advertisements

i've had bad luck with wireless routers. i had a d-link that worked pretty well for 6 months before it died. i have a linksys that pretty much sucked from day one (would drop connections and had to be power-cycled at least once daily) and after a year it would have to be power-cycled constantly. i bought a buffalo because of the excellent feedback it had a reliability, and it's almost as bad as the d-link (the one that doesn't work). it will never keep a connection for long, and constantly has to be power-cycled. it's set up correctly, isn't overheating, yet it won't stay connected wirelessly. wired, it's amazing; never drops connections and gets very good speed.

so what some routers that are actually good? i don't care if they cost a few hundred, i just want a wireless router that's stable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 12:41 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,740,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
so what some routers that are actually good? i don't care if they cost a few hundred, i just want a wireless router that's stable
I just picked up a Version 8.0 Linksys WRT54G (combination WAP, 4-port switch, firewall, and router box), and I love it. We use it with a pair of Nokia 770 web tablets, and it seems to be quite reliable. No issues yet with any of the OSes I play with, and my VPN for work worked right off the bat with no tweaking.

The firewall in the WRT54G replaced a dedicated Coyote Linux firewall (a small floppy-disk version of Linux that runs in a RAMdisk), but I was sick of having one of my IntelliStations tied up all the time just relaying packets (it has a few OSes on it that I want to play with).

Old 08-29-2007, 12:52 PM

693 posts, read 2,565,798 times
For whatever reason most wireless routers start dropping connections after 1 year or so. It's strange but it's true! I currently use a Linksys WRT54G which is not perfect but better than all other ones i had previously.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:51 PM

231 posts, read 646,669 times
Best for gaming and most stabil.
In my opinion is wire routers.

drop the wireless part for ur gaming computer.

just my experience
Tj..

Old 08-29-2007, 04:38 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,740,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjukken View Post
Best for gaming and most stabil.
In my opinion is wire routers.

drop the wireless part for ur gaming computer.

just my experience
Tj..
I agree. I have a 16-port 100BaseTX switch, and I have the WRT54G plugged into that. Most of the PCs in the house use ethernet to connect to the switch and thus to the outside world, so they talk to the Linksys box through the switch. We only got the wireless for the webpads and for one PC that's going to be living upstairs.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:10 AM

3,350 posts, read 12,797,179 times
I have a linksys WRT54G wireless router thats had no problems (2-3 years old). Anytime we have an issue it's with the modem (Motorola) from our cable company. We swapped it out a couple of times in the last couple of years. We have a total of 3 desktop computers and two laptops and all connect fine.

That is unless I'm using my old computer which is a resourse hog.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r131/exhdo1/Univac.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-30-2007, 02:29 PM

7,562 posts, read 16,558,722 times
Wireless in itself is a PITA for stableness. I use a Zyxel here at work, modem / router comobo and its *ok*. My fave to use are D-Link.
My brother in law sells firewalls in the UK and hes gonna send me one of his, they cost undreds $$$$>

Old 08-31-2007, 12:09 PM

510 posts, read 3,024,000 times
My netgear never has issues... but it could just be luck

Have you considered that you could have a bad network card? Have you done anything to test the card itself, or has this problem been reproduced on other computers? Could there simply be some sort of signal issue within your house? Live under power lines?

Old 08-31-2007, 12:39 PM

52,155 posts, read 30,219,816 times
I've had a Linksys wireless router for a year now and I've never had any trouble with it. The only time I've had trouble was with the wired router, which is connected to my desktops, but that only was 3 or 4 times, and that may have been a problem with the ISP, not necessarily the routers.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:11 PM

3,110 posts, read 9,580,828 times
I've had 3 different Linksys routers go wonky...same problem with dropping the network, having to be cycled, etc.

I dug out my old Netgear web-safe wireless routers (had 2 in a box from my office) and those work 24/7, no problemo.

So while far from being evidence...my anecdotal experience is 0-3 for Linksys and 2-0 for Netgear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers