U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-10-2011, 12:33 AM

5,128 posts, read 6,180,100 times

Advertisements

Did you notice a new user account and profile named UpdatusUser appear on your system?
If so, I am guessing you recently you installed the latest version of Nvidia device drivers?

Most recent versions of Nvidia drivers now make some serious changes in the system which is a bit concerning so I wanted to give you a heads up.
The change creates a new (enabled) user account on the computer as well as a (locked) user profile folder with the same name “UpdatusUser”.
This occurs if you choose the default installation options instead of the custom method. To avoid this, simply choose custom install method and uncheck the box next to "update" option on the what to install screen.

If you already have installed the driver package using default options and want to get rid of this new account and profile, open Add-Remove Programs list (Sart > Run > appwiz.cpl > OK) and uninstall Nvidia Update entry. It should remove the account as well as the profile from your system:

Note: The update feature supposed to automatically update the device drivers in the background but I don't believe it is actually doing its job. Besides, I do find it a bit odd if not suspicious for this application to create a new user account and profile to accomplish this task which would not have to occur all that often and when it is needed, I rather decide which update to install and when.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 07:53 AM

7,080 posts, read 8,877,079 times
I have always done custom installs with any installation just to keep those auto updaters and other crap out, but I wasn't aware Nvidia was doing this, curious as to what their reasoning is here.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 31,643 times
I haven't backed up my computer in a while so I spent the last week trying to back it up. It had never been a problem to back up a computer before. Several changes had been made to my computer since the last backup like upgrading to Windows 7 Ultimate and a lot more. Well I updated the Nividia driver along with all the other changes. I bought one of those "can fix any problem software download programs" thinking they could fix my backup error code 0x80070001 which it didn't. After complaining to them their product didn't fix my issue the (same night) they sent me a possible fix in the regedit editor working through the registry keys and there it was "UpdatusUser". I couldn't believe after all the backups I ran (which took 2.5hrs ea), system restore, buying fix it software that it was from a Nividia driver update. Unbelievable!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers