Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 10:52 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,428,196 times

Advertisements

You can use wordpress's hosting or you can get your own hosting from any company and install it yourself.

For first timers, it's definitely recommended that you just use their hosting. You'd have to set up SQL databases, edit files, etc...a lot to do if you don't know what to do or how to do it.

Once you get the site set up, you can go to any domain name provider and buy a .com domain name, then point it to your site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 02:38 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,946,614 times
Download and install XAMPP.

XAMPP is basic server with PHP and MySQL you can install and use on your own computer for testing environment. This will mimic what you will be dealing with on a live server.

From there you can download and install Wordpress or other CMS like Joomla on your home computer so you can familiarize yourself with the software before getting a domain and creating a live site. If you wanted too you can even transfer what you have done locally to live server in the future. The installs are usually pretty straight forward as long as you read the directions. One thing that is absolutely imporatant and the reason I recommend familiarizing yourself with the software right off the bat is you need to make sure you keep software like Wordpress up to date or you'll leave your site open to attack.

You'll also need a text editor, I use Notepad++.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
If you want to do it properly you need the adobe cs design premium suite. You can get it for free for a month.
Millions of developers would disagree.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:21 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,648,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring_natural View Post
I'm still a little confused. I guess I should have clarified a bit further in my most recent post....

So Wordpress is generally not a web-hosting site that provides personal domain names, right? So how would I use Wordpress CMS to build a website, and then get a host (such as 1and1 for example) to host the website I made?
There are two sides to Wordpress. Wordpress.com provides free or paid Wordpress hosting (myblog.wordpress.com) with some limitations to what plugins can be installed. With the paid hosting you can use your own domain (purchased separately).

Wordpress.org is provides WP as a free downloadable package that can be uploaded to a hosting provider, and installed. With this you have the added advantage of being able to control the entire domain (email etc).

Old 12-19-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
You can use wordpress's hosting or you can get your own hosting from any company and install it yourself.

For first timers, it's definitely recommended that you just use their hosting. You'd have to set up SQL databases, edit files, etc...a lot to do if you don't know what to do or how to do it.

Once you get the site set up, you can go to any domain name provider and buy a .com domain name, then point it to your site.
There is no file editing with WP, but you do have to set up the DB.

Most larger hosts will have an auto installer as well, that will create the DB and install the latest version of the files with a single button push.

Once WP is installed updating is easy. Whenever an update is release you'll get a notice in the dashboard, and it's just one click to update.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:01 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,428,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
There is no file editing with WP, but you do have to set up the DB.

Most larger hosts will have an auto installer as well, that will create the DB and install the latest version of the files with a single button push.

Once WP is installed updating is easy. Whenever an update is release you'll get a notice in the dashboard, and it's just one click to update.
Well, I should have said that it isn't necessary to edit them, but if you want to tweak your themes or whatever, it doesn't hurt to know a little PHP.

Plus when you install, at least last time I installed it, you had to edit the config file for it to read when setting up, but maybe it does that for you now. I've not used WP for a while.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Well, I should have said that it isn't necessary to edit them, but if you want to tweak your themes or whatever, it doesn't hurt to know a little PHP.

Plus when you install, at least last time I installed it, you had to edit the config file for it to read when setting up, but maybe it does that for you now. I've not used WP for a while.
I don't remember when they changed it, but you haven't had to edit the config file in quite a while (a couple of years now I think?).

As you said, not a bad idea to know a bit more about how the system works and how to do some basic modifications, but overall WP is one of the simplest systems out there to install.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Depending on the server setup and the package you may have to set the permissions on one file so it's writable and the installation script can write the database username and password. Once it's installed be sure to change the permissions back. You may also have to do this for folders that will be used by the script to upload files from a web browser.

While on the topic often hosts(in this case domain hosting) might have automatic installations of popular packages like WP or phpBB. I'd strongly advise avoiding this for a few reasons. Sometimes the script the host has is out of date. Secondly some hosts have been known to modify the installtion and support can become troublesome. At one point phpBB did not support installations from control panels because issues would be caused from the modified script and they'd be spending time trying to rectify issues that were not caused by the standard install. Lastly you're going to have to keep this software updated and the hosting control panel does not do that for you, it's best to learn now.

As far as the hosts offering free hosting for WP, phpBB forums or whatever be sure that you have access to a full backup of the database and can get backups of any other custom files like those uploaded by users. Some of these free hosts have been know to charge ridiculous amounts to get a copy of the database if you want to move it to your own domain and there is other instances where the companies have just disappeared along with all the data. It's important to keep a local copy of all your data even with paid hosting just for that reason alone.

Last edited by thecoalman; 12-20-2011 at 09:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers