Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:13 PM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times

Advertisements

So, then this scammer "scanner" is a malware and needs to be removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 10:32 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,620,661 times
So, what do you suggest I use?

Old 12-20-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
10,000 errors? Do you clean you computer; sometimes, ever? What about antivirus/malware? Did you installed any?
Try Ccleaner first. Run it few times till no errors. Then download malware software. Clean again.
Install antivirus program.
I agree that it rather sounds like malware infection.

But, I the free version of Microsoft Security Essentials, and the free version of Malwarebytes'. Are not these sufficient enough?

Old 12-20-2011, 10:42 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,188,547 times
~ MSE

~ Malwarebytes

~ SuperAntiSpyware

~ CCleaner

If, after running all the above viruses/trojans and worms are still being reported please post the names here.

Oh, and make sure all the definitions are up-to-date on the above programs before scanning.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:09 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,982,813 times
iYogi IMHO is no less than a scam, do a Google on them, you'll see all kinds of unhappy people. Dell actually uses them for support, which is why I don't recommend Dell much anymore for consumer stuff. I've had a few customers ripped of by them, selling them stuff they don't need, charging labor for repairs and not actually fixing the problem.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:16 AM

16,660 posts, read 15,651,806 times
Being told that the free version of Microsoft Security Essentials did not provide full protection and that you should use a paid product is a clear indicator that you were being misled. There is no paid version of MSE. The paid product is called Forefront and the only advantage it offers is that it can be managed by the network administrators. It used the same signature files as MSE. MSE stacks up well against other antivirus/antimalware products.

Basically, the phone support person lied to you. (at least so far) You're getting fair and accurate advice here.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:14 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,435,595 times
Sounds like a cluster**** of issues. I'd reinstall and be done with it. Too much bitrot for me to allow if it were my machine.

Also, don't listen to salespeople. She was definitely trying to sell you something, you might not have anything wrong with it at all. If you are having legitimate issues (not ones you are only TOLD you are having) let us know exactly what is going on and what information you've found about it so far.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
~ MSE

~ Malwarebytes

~ SuperAntiSpyware

~ CCleaner

If, after running all the above viruses/trojans and worms are still being reported please post the names here.

Oh, and make sure all the definitions are up-to-date on the above programs before scanning.
All of you guys have been AWESOME, and I really appreciate your help.

I am a little confused: I have the free version of CCleaner, by Piriform, however, it shows: CCleaner, Registry, Tools, and the Options, which require buying products.

Do I use CCleaner, then Registry, and then tools, or just the CCleaner part?

Thank you so much.....

Old 12-21-2011, 03:50 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,188,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
All of you guys have been AWESOME, and I really appreciate your help.

I am a little confused: I have the free version of CCleaner, by Piriform, however, it shows: CCleaner, Registry, Tools, and the Options, which require buying products.

Do I use CCleaner, then Registry, and then tools, or just the CCleaner part?

Thank you so much.....
Run CCleaner and Registry, don't worry about Tools.

When it's done reboot the system before doing anything else.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:20 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
iYogi IMHO is no less than a scam, do a Google on them, you'll see all kinds of unhappy people. Dell actually uses them for support, which is why I don't recommend Dell much anymore for consumer stuff. I've had a few customers ripped of by them, selling them stuff they don't need, charging labor for repairs and not actually fixing the problem.
I have a Dell and in the last year or so I am always referred to iYogi when I need technical assistance.

There is ALWAYS a big push to buy more "insurance"....it gets very annoying. I always tell them I just don't have any money to pay for it right now, sorry.

Who should I call for technical assistance? Need a phone number in case the computer is not working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers