U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 02:52 PM

226 posts, read 560,779 times

Advertisements

My desktop is an oldie from 2003 or so.

It has only 3-4 GB left on the hard drive and only 512 of ram so I would like to replace it with "something". I need it to surf, email, run iTunes and photo software, but no gaming and minimal movie watching.

We have a mini and a laptop, so I am not sure which way to go.

Any ideas out there? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 02:55 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,726,328 times
Desktops are far from obsolete.

What's your budget? Would you consider building one by hand? Would you prefer a laptop over a desktop for portability reasons? What's your favorite color?

Old 01-11-2012, 02:58 PM

24,497 posts, read 36,161,070 times
I don't see a reason to get a desktop unless there's a feature available in desktops that isn't available in a laptop.

If you're doing something that requires a lot of processing or storage (such as video editing) or something that requires special hardware (gaming) then desktops are the way to go. Also, if you're going to keep it for a while, a touchscreen all-in-one desktop w/ Windows 8 is a good way to go (assuming you want Windows).

However, laptops are so affordable, and are very capable of most standard types of computing (creating documents, browsing web, email, watching videos, etc), are more energy efficient, and take up less space. I recommend most people get a laptop.

My gf's mom replaced her desktop with a laptop that she uses with an external monitor and keyboard. So it doesn't feel like she is using a laptop at all. Works out well for her.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:06 PM

11,544 posts, read 26,484,144 times
A desktop is not obsolete until they stop building it. The advantage to the desktop is you can pop it open and add memory or replace worn hardware. You can replace the keyboard and monitor. The downside to the laptop is you can't; you buy a new one.

I just bought a mini server because it had what I wanted at the price I wanted to pay. And it was cneaper than the desktop. The downside is Ihave a hub because the mini does not have enough ports. I"m going to have my desktop rebuilt with more ports and more memory.

It all boils down to money and preference. I would probably buy a tablet if I wanted portability; a laptop it if I needed it for business because the screen is larger than the tablet. .

Old 01-11-2012, 03:31 PM

1,594 posts, read 2,693,882 times
I'm so sick of laptops, I don't know if I'll ever buy one again. Desktops are great for many reasons. They often include faster processors and more RAM than laptops in the same price range. They are also EXPANDABLE, something that laptops are horrible with. With a desktop, it's very easy to pop open the case and install a new hard drive or add some RAM. With a desktop, you can use whatever display, keyboard, and mouse you want and upgrade them any time you want without buying a whole new computer.

For me, the next computer purchase I make will be a desktop, and then get a tablet/iPad for when I want to surf the web from the couch. I've had so many laptops over the years and they've all been such a PITA.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
With a desktop, you can use whatever display, keyboard, and mouse you want and upgrade them any time you want without buying a whole new computer.
You can do the same with laptops.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:14 PM

3,007 posts, read 5,235,838 times
If you just want to do some basic stuff (email, internet, etc.) a laptop, will do just fine.

If you use programs like photoshop a lot, or make movies, and use a bigger screen, then desktops are the way to go.

Although I think we've already passed the point where laptops outsell desktops, I think desktops will still exist, but will mainly be for powerusers and people who are afraid of the 'cloud.' Meaning they want their terabytes of family video and photos locked safely in a tower.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:52 PM

76 posts, read 165,709 times
I do almost 100% of my surfing from the comfort of the couch. There is no way I'm going back to a static location. I can take my laptop into the kitchen to look up recipes, take it on the deck when the weather is nice, take it to a friend's house. Desktops are great for some people, just not for me. I doubt I will ever own another one.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:58 PM

226 posts, read 560,779 times
Thanks for replies so far.

As I noted, I already have a lapper and was wondering if there is any future with another desktop.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:09 PM

Do you see yourself needing another desktop if you already have a laptop? What value would an additional computer bring to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or