U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-20-2012, 11:54 AM
 
3,426 posts, read 2,792,195 times
Reputation: 3318

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Bunch of music snobs. lol
"I want to hear it the way the artist intended".
Really? I DON'T and I am not afraid to say so. I LOVE cymbals. I want to hear every tap tap tap of the cymbal. So I like to increase the treble or the higher edge of the EQ.
Or I want to hear the bass line better. Sometimes it can be hard to pick out "as the artist intended it".


EQ's are nice but as someone said I can usually find a "preset tone" to accomplish what I want.
I can understand if one has a hearing problem in certain audio ranges that one would want and/or need to tweek the sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-20-2012, 12:40 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
10,238 posts, read 18,987,295 times
Reputation: 10178
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
You know, if you have to list your inventory to try to impress, then maybe your anxiety is showing,
It's establishing credibility, not unusual when arguing. And something you've yet to do. Though you seem expert enough in making broad assertions and Pee Wee Hermanish "I know you are but what am I" responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2012, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Houston
471 posts, read 1,376,271 times
Reputation: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The biggest issue is the mastering, they jack the amplification up and you lose all the nuances........
Yep, the use of overcompression for so many new albums and many remasters, has got to be one of the worst things to happen to recorded music.

Overcompression as shown in the videos you posted can literally destroy the emotion of the music by nearly eliminating the varying levels present within it, especially IMO the drums, sometimes causing a song to sound almost like white noise when the compression knob is really twisted too far to the right (drums end up sounding wimpy and neutered, severely reducing the emotional power of a track).

And what makes overcompression really evil is that the end user can do nothing about it. There is no "decompressor" available to undo the damage*, though using the treble knob or an EQ can help somewhat as far as reducing the level of certain higher frequencies, frequencies which contribute to the harsh and "sizzly" sound most overcompressed music exhibits, especially rock and pop.


* and there never will be one available because such a device or piece of software would somehow have to know ahead of time what parts of the music was supposed to be louder & which were supposed to be heard at lower levels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2012, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
13,720 posts, read 25,916,189 times
Reputation: 9219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The use of passive components to voice speakers is EQ nonetheless.



Audiophiles are very selective about which overpriced products they make fun of. I'd rather make fun of of audiophile approved mini-monitors that cost several thousand dollars and use drivers from the Parts Express and Madisound catalogs.



I was addressing the notion held by many audiophiles that EQ in and of itself is a bad thing. This ties in with my statement about EQ in crossover networks.
I haven't said what is overpriced or not other than Bose. I think lots of things are overpriced, not just audio. Jewelry and sporting goods come to mind. And lots of high end audio. I am a speaker hobbyist so I know how much speaker components cost, and how hard it is to make a cabinet. I also know how much modeling software costs. But my opinion is that a Sonus Faber speaker is less overpriced than a Bose clock radio. Or a 301 speaker with its $2 Chinese tweeter. BTW some of those mini monitors use a $330 tweeter.

I don't believe in audio black magic. So I am a natural skeptic. And since I am somewhat cheap, I am a bit sensitive to things that are expensive but shouldn't be.

I disagree about the "EQ" components in speakers. They are not adjustable as per the point of this thread. They are simply part of the formula used by speaker designers to get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2012, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Wasilla Alaska
119 posts, read 201,493 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I haven't said what is overpriced or not other than Bose. I think lots of things are overpriced, not just audio. Jewelry and sporting goods come to mind. And lots of high end audio. I am a speaker hobbyist so I know how much speaker components cost, and how hard it is to make a cabinet. I also know how much modeling software costs. But my opinion is that a Sonus Faber speaker is less overpriced than a Bose clock radio. Or a 301 speaker with its $2 Chinese tweeter. BTW some of those mini monitors use a $330 tweeter.

I don't believe in audio black magic. So I am a natural skeptic. And since I am somewhat cheap, I am a bit sensitive to things that are expensive but shouldn't be.

I disagree about the "EQ" components in speakers. They are not adjustable as per the point of this thread. They are simply part of the formula used by speaker designers to get.

He has more "Internets" than you, because we're arguing on the internet, that makes him the winner. I suggest you work hard, put in some overtime, and save up your "Internets" so that one day YOU can be the guy who wins these silly games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2012, 04:38 PM
 
3,426 posts, read 2,792,195 times
Reputation: 3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
Yep, the use of overcompression for so many new albums and many remasters, has got to be one of the worst things to happen to recorded music.

Overcompression as shown in the videos you posted can literally destroy the emotion of the music by nearly eliminating the varying levels present within it, especially IMO the drums, sometimes causing a song to sound almost like white noise when the compression knob is really twisted too far to the right (drums end up sounding wimpy and neutered, severely reducing the emotional power of a track).

And what makes overcompression really evil is that the end user can do nothing about it. There is no "decompressor" available to undo the damage*, though using the treble knob or an EQ can help somewhat as far as reducing the level of certain higher frequencies, frequencies which contribute to the harsh and "sizzly" sound most overcompressed music exhibits, especially rock and pop.


* and there never will be one available because such a device or piece of software would somehow have to know ahead of time what parts of the music was supposed to be louder & which were supposed to be heard at lower levels

More important with regard to the OP, no amount of equalization will compensate for an overcompressed audio track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2012, 05:51 PM
 
40,293 posts, read 41,843,525 times
Reputation: 16805
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
If you use a compressor/limiter during mastering, you can lose a lot of nuance. That said, there are times when using a compressor/limiter
makes a positive contribution, so it generally falls to the sound engineer to figure out when to use it.
Yes, there would be things it would be used for. We had a monthly live broadcast from my server. All done in house I might add. In any event the one announcer had a loud booming voice. There was other variables because we were all in different states while this broadcast was going on, different mics etc. Could never get it exact and we weren't exactly working with professional software.

In any event after the live broadcast we'd apply compressor to even him out a little for the download file.

Having said that the examples I posted above are not doing any justice to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2012, 06:00 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
10,238 posts, read 18,987,295 times
Reputation: 10178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Tech Solutions View Post
He has more "Internets" than you, because we're arguing on the internet, that makes him the winner. I suggest you work hard, put in some overtime, and save up your "Internets" so that one day YOU can be the guy who wins these silly games.
That is not an argument. But if you have something cogent to say about this subject, as Hoffdano does, I'm all ears, so to speak.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 01-20-2012 at 06:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2012, 06:34 PM
 
3,426 posts, read 2,792,195 times
Reputation: 3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Yes, there would be things it would be used for. We had a monthly live broadcast from my server. All done in house I might add. In any event the one announcer had a loud booming voice. There was other variables because we were all in different states while this broadcast was going on, different mics etc. Could never get it exact and we weren't exactly working with professional software.

In any event after the live broadcast we'd apply compressor to even him out a little for the download file.

Having said that the examples I posted above are not doing any justice to them.
I agree that if one is using a compressor to master a studio recording, then there is something wrong with the recording that requires compression. And that doesn't say anything good about either the engineer or the recording artists. For individual tracks, that's another thing altogether. Rock guitar tracks, for instance, often need to be compressed/limited.

However, for live recordings, they are indispensible for preventing live audio disasters (blown speakers/amps, etc), and definitely help even out the overall live sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2012, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Wasilla Alaska
119 posts, read 201,493 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
That is not an argument. But if you have something cogent to say about this subject, as Hoffdano does, I'm all ears, so to speak.
I was attempting to point out the extremely silly nature of trading barbs over the internet in an amusing manner. However my point seems to have been lost in translation, maybe I need a "Post Equalizer" to help convey the intended experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:13 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top