U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:37 PM

10,238 posts, read 18,987,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Tech Solutions View Post
I was attempting to point out the extremely silly nature of trading barbs over the internet in an amusing manner. However my point seems to have been lost in translation, maybe I need a "Post Equalizer" to help convey the intended experience.

Ah, I see. No doubt were we talking in person we'd be sharing a laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 10:56 PM

119 posts, read 201,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Ah, I see. No doubt were we talking in person we'd be sharing a laugh.
While listening to good tunes on a fancy system I'm sure. =)

Old 01-21-2012, 02:54 PM

8,703 posts, read 12,021,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
It's establishing credibility, not unusual when arguing. And something you've yet to do. Though you seem expert enough in making broad assertions and Pee Wee Hermanish "I know you are but what am I" responses.
Oh puleeese. For all I know, you could just be listing a bunch of brands. Panties still in a wad about something? Maybe you just had a bad week to keep pulling at this thread. Why don't you turn on some nice tunes on your incredible system and relax. Besides, you are the only one arguing. This is all you have really established.

Now here's a, how you say, "Pee Wee Hermanish "I know you are but what am I" responses. don't believe this is what was coming from me.

Quote:
There's nothing more pathetic than an anxious audiophile rapping Bose, saying "Blose" and other unclever nonsense. This is done in order to feel in the club, to hopefully show one's audiophile credentials.
Are credentials required to know that Blose is over-hyped, over priced, cheap componentry, but some great marketing at work?

Last edited by PanTerra; 01-21-2012 at 03:26 PM..

Old 07-05-2014, 03:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,649 times
This is a problem that is overlooked.
I have read this thread as I am looking for an AV amp with a good equalizer. I have to assume by what I read that everyone that responded has perfect hearing. Well I do not, I have lost most highs, above 1khz my hearing goes on a 60 degree slope down to nothing. I also have tinities. I know I can't hear the highs and want to hear those high's again. Take 5 people 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and ask them to blind listen to any speakers, I'm pretty sure they wont all pick the same ones because they all cant hear the sounds the same. When I was young I could hear 20 khc including ultrasonic door openers in the 60's. I was also an audio snob and believed it had to be flat of it was not true. Well now If I have to listen to flat I might as well not listen because I cant hear but about 1/2 of what was intended. 40 - 50 years ago it would have been different. Even my audiologist said hearing aids wouldn't do much for me because I could hear above normal base and mid range was normal up to just above 1 k. I suspect most guys in the military before ear plugs will or are in the same boat.
I want a decent amp with a good equalizer so I can hear what you say you can hear. When was the last time you had your hearing checked. I suspect that if your older than your 20's its not as great as you think. I also think this is the biggest reason that most people disagree as to amps and speakers. How can a person with flat hearing (if they exist) hear the same music as one with high freq loss?
You and manufactures may think equalizers are not needed but I do and I want a decent one in my AV amp and I do not know how to find one. Most do not say what they have. I have a pioneer VSX 521 and it only has 6 steps of treble. That just wont cut it.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:45 AM

3,426 posts, read 2,792,195 times
Larry, if you have damage that prevents you from hearing the high end, an equalizer likely isn't going to help you much.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 1,649 times
I guess a hearing aid that boosts the highs wont either? I bought a pioneer vsx1121 and I works just fine. I would suspect almost every one out there over 50 has some high freq loss. I was using turtle beach wireless quad earphones and they worked just fine also.Most people don't even realize what they are missing. If you were in the military before ear plug days, theirs a 99% chance your hearing has massive high hearing loss. For younger guys. the following statistic.

Veterans
Do you have a hearing loss due to military service? A report from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs estimated that more than 59,000 military members are on disability for hearing loss from Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom.

HLAA was founded in 1979 by Howard “Rocky” Stone, a retired CIA agent, who endured hearing loss from his service in the United States Army. Rocky was well-known in the agency for both his skill and his hearing loss. On one occasion he was having a hard time “hearing” when talking with then-Director Richard Helms, so Rocky plopped himself on Helms’ desk and asked him to face him directly so he could read his lips! Another time, his old-fashioned body hearing aid was mistaken for a recording spy device and was confiscated. Rocky earned the Agency’s highest honor and went onto establish an organization for people who have hearing loss and want to stay in the hearing world with technology and strategies.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:26 AM

1 posts, read 634 times
Default regarding graphic equalizers

I think all those people who say you don't need tone controls or a graphic equalizer are elitist snobs who really don't know what they're saying. I used to be a DJ spinning discs so I know a little about the quality of sound. One thing you haven't taken into account his room acoustics. The hard and the soft. I don't care how good the quality of your system is if you put it in a concrete room it will have very weak base tones. If you put a system in a room with lots of fabric, carpeting, and rapes you will lose some of your high tones. If you have more have more hard or soft surface is on the left or right side of your room each speaker will sound different because of absorption or reflection this is where a equalizer with separate channels comes into play. In my house I have to analog systems both with equalizers one room has more fabric than the other and these equalizers really make a difference. I gave up on my digital audio video 5.1 surround system years ago. It had a 32 band graphic equalizer built into each channel mostly because of the muddy base and harsh highs in digital music. It was only good for movies. And that is whole other topic. I live with concrete walls that have drywall over it, just imagine the acoustical problems that creates along with a artificial laminate flooring and no carpeting with leather furniture and one fabric sofa. Without equalizer the sound is flat and dead but with it the sound is warm and bright. So I find there are reasons for having an equalizer.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:58 AM

7,293 posts, read 6,680,562 times
I can adjust it on my HTPC using software, such as Creative's software or Foobar 2000 or whatever or on the receiver itself, back of the subwoofer, etc.. actually a number of places to do it.

Sub placement is very important as well.. doing 'sub crawl' after I get some 25 foot long subwoofer cable needs to be done. Sounds much better in some parts of the room but hardly hear it at listening position.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:01 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,752,943 times
2 of my media players have Equalizers (WMP and Realplayer)

Old 05-02-2015, 02:56 AM

1 posts, read 532 times
you people seem to miss the point of using a ge. you don't need to make drastic changes in the sound .I use a ge for suttle changes. not much more than 2db on any one slider. I've been using a ge since 1978 and I have a decent system I think, marantz2252b,ohm model l,epi180s,teac x3 open reel,cassette and cd player. and a pioneer rg2 expander,a pioneer pl518 turntable, and of course my adc sound shaper two ic ge. what with standing waves and room nodes a ge can really help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or