U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 11:17 PM

119 posts, read 201,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I never had any issues since version 5.x. I am currently using 7.0.1 and no problems using Logitech wireless (solar) K750 keyboard and wireless M570 trackball. The only problem, if you can call it that, when I do get into long conversations with Captain Morgan both my keyboard and trackball seem to start getting smaller and appear to be farther away than usual.

I have a similar issue, but not only do they get smaller and further away, but the keys also move around on the board. Is there a patch that fixes this? Maybe a Firefox add on?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 11:29 PM

3,685 posts, read 8,500,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
This likely refers to Logitech Remotes (programmable remote controllers for home theater systems) which you connect to a computer with a USB cable then go to their website to program all your devices.
I'm going to guess that it's a browser extension that lets it detect the model of your keyboard and mouse - similar to how other vendors detect hardware on your computer so they can guide you to the correct downloads for your devices.

Yeah, that's it.

Quote:
Yes, this device detection extension on our support home page is used to detect your Logitech device for support purposes. Your keyboard and mouse will not stop functioning if you upgrade to FF 5.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:04 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I'm going to guess that it's a browser extension that lets it detect the model of your keyboard and mouse - similar to how other vendors detect hardware on your computer so they can guide you to the correct downloads for your devices.

Yeah, that's it.
Nope, a browser extension that detects and allows me to program my Logitech Harmony Remote controller through a web interface while connected to Logitech's site for my home theater setup.

Mouse/keyboard/video cards, etc., download drivers for the OPERATING SYSTEM which controls the devices. Basic architecture of modern operating systems.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:54 AM

11,749 posts, read 11,317,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I never had any issues since version 5.x. I am currently using 7.0.1 and no problems using Logitech wireless (solar) K750 keyboard and wireless M570 trackball. The only problem, if you can call it that, when I do get into long conversations with Captain Morgan both my keyboard and trackball seem to start getting smaller and appear to be farther away than usual.

Sam Adams seems to have a similar effect on my KB & mouse. Hmmm

Old 01-18-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Nope, a browser extension that detects and allows me to program my Logitech Harmony Remote controller through a web interface while connected to Logitech's site for my home theater setup.
The OP's post and the one you responded to refer to the browser extension that detects hardware and guides the user to the proper downloads for their devices. And yes Einstein, the drivers are for the OS, not the browser. The browser add-on is an aid to help the user find the proper downloads for their particular OS, and likely detects the OS the user is running too.

You're the only one who thinks this thread has anything to do with Harmony remotes.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
The OP's post and the one you responded to refer to the browser extension that detects hardware and guides the user to the proper downloads for their devices. And yes Einstein, the drivers are for the OS, not the browser. The browser add-on is an aid to help the user find the proper downloads for their particular OS, and likely detects the OS the user is running too.

You're the only one who thinks this thread has anything to do with Harmony remotes.
Please go re-read the OP's post before you embarrass yourself further. He is clearly under the impression that his Logitech Keyboard and mouse will stop working if he upgrades FF, for he clearly states he is not about to go out and buy a different mouse and keyboard.

OBTW, Harmony remotes are made by Logitech, and if you read their site you will see that it also effects the Logitech Harmony remotes.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:18 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,079,990 times
Suppose I use a different browser, can I copy my bookmarks to it? I don't mean moving them.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Please go re-read the OP's post before you embarrass yourself further. He is clearly under the impression that his Logitech Keyboard and mouse will stop working if he upgrades FF, for he clearly states he is not about to go out and buy a different mouse and keyboard.
That much is correct, but you weren't perceptive or knowledgeable enough to figure out that what Firefox was really telling him was that the browser plug-in that aids in finding the proper downloads on the Logitech support site was what was going to stop working. If you were, you would have written that, instead of mentioning the problem with the Harmony remotes. The OP has a Logitech mouse and/or keyboard, not a Harmony remote. You've really contributed nothing to this thread except confusion.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
That much is correct, but you weren't perceptive or knowledgeable enough to figure out that what Firefox was really telling him was that the browser plug-in that aids in finding the proper downloads on the Logitech support site was what was going to stop working. If you were, you would have written that, instead of mentioning the problem with the Harmony remotes. The OP has a Logitech mouse and/or keyboard, not a Harmony remote. You've really contributed nothing to this thread except confusion.
So do I, plus a Logitech Harmony remote. I have no add-on for the Logitech keyboard or Logitech Trackball, but I do have one for the Logitech Harmony remote.

I made it very clear that his mouse or keyboard would not stop working, which was his question, with the reason it would continue working. You just wanted to prove you chose a great moniker for yourself.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:08 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,848,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Suppose I use a different browser, can I copy my bookmarks to it? I don't mean moving them.
If you do not one to use a 3rd party app to handle it for you then your best bet is to save your favorites/bookmarks as an HTML file. Most browser seem to be capable of importing favorites/bookmarks when they are saved as a .html file by the former browser regardless of what browser it was.

If I will be restoring my Bookmarks on another Firefox that is installed on another machine then I use the "Backup/Restore" function under Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks > Import and Backup. If I will be importing them to IE of from IE to FF, then I export them to an html file so I can import them on a different type browser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or