U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 07:11 AM

1 posts, read 7,942 times

Advertisements

Hello. I've just got the brand new cabel for connection. It contains HDMI connection to 3 RCA and VGA. I've already tried to connect both devices, but it wont work. Sometimes i get weird noises from TV speakers (like a scratch sound). No video or audio is transfered correctly. Im using two OS, Windows XP (newest Intel Graphic drivers) and Linux Mint 12. In Windows i see 2nd Display at display options, but it wont respond if i change any settings. I've tried to change Display in Graphic Options (Intel software), but there's only one option - built-in-display, no television is found and in Project/TV options is written: "No support for...". In Linux i can't see any others displays than laptop's one. Does anyone has a fix solution? Thanks.

Last edited by Yazaki; 01-19-2012 at 07:35 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 12:35 PM

119 posts, read 201,428 times
Check your user manual, sometimes you have a button to set the output on the keyboard. It's Function + F5 on my Toshiba, it's Function + F4 on some HP's, it's Function + F8 on some dells (I think). If that doesn't work, and you have an HDMI that goes into rgb then you want to be looking for HDMI out in the settings.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:36 PM

795 posts, read 1,243,224 times
It might be the the cable you are using. I'm not a cable expert but I think HDMI is digital. I think VGAs and RCAs are analog. You may need to use a VGA to VGA cable for video and a 3.5mm to RCA cable or converter for sound.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:37 PM

5,374 posts, read 11,280,182 times
What are you really trying to do ?

As I understand, you have :
1 - A TV
2 - A computer
3 - Something you call a brand new Cable

1 - If you look in the back of the TV, what do see ?
Can you take a pic of it and post?

2 - Computer, I know what it looks like but I do not understand why it has Windows XP on it ?
----As delivered from Factory, they all should have windows 7 on it ?
---- The computer only has
---- an HDMI port
---- a VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for external monitor
---- 1 x Microphone-in jack and 1 x Headphone-out jack

3 - Cable. What did you actually buy ?
Take pic of it, and one that shows us what the connectors look like.

What you need is either a cable that connects form the computer via the VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin (a blue connector mostly),
or an HDMI cable.
But ...
You TV, should have corresponding connectors that will accept either the VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin or the HDMI connector.
If you can hook up the VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin, then you also need a small audio cable that connects the Headphone-out jack with your audio input jack on the TV, IF you have one!

Else you need the special adapter cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Help to connect laptop (Asus K52F) to TV-hookup.jpg  

Last edited by irman; 01-19-2012 at 01:05 PM..

Old 01-19-2012, 11:43 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,677,950 times
Quote:
Im using two OS, Windows XP (newest Intel Graphic drivers) and Linux Mint 12.
Sounds like you removed the Win7 OS and replaced it with these.

Quote:
..... I think HDMI is digital. I think VGAs and RCAs are analog.
Actually this is correct. If the cable purchased is HDMI on one side and RCA on the other it will not work(it worked with first generation only, but with current generation it won't).

For what you are describing the actual item needed is:
HDMI to 3RCA AV/Composite S-video Converter for PS3 DVD | eBay

Old 06-27-2013, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 5,618 times
i have a window 8 computer and my tv only take s video and rca plugs. I have hmdi to rca the red, blue and, green plugs. I have connected them to my tv and the hdmi to my computer but no video what can I do

Old 06-27-2013, 04:09 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,774,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monroeb View Post
i have a window 8 computer and my tv only take s video and rca plugs. I have hmdi to rca the red, blue and, green plugs. I have connected them to my tv and the hdmi to my computer but no video what can I do

Does your computer have a VGA port? If so, you just need a VGA-to-RCA cable.

If your computer doesn't have a VGA port but has HDMI, then you'll need to get an HDMI-to-RCA converter box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or