U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:09 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
If you do decide to go with a mac, wait until march when product line is due to be updated. Macs also do windows.

If you go PC, i would go with the Sony Vaio.

Lenovo makes a very good machine, but I personally would not buy a product made by an organization so closely linked to the Chinese People's Liberation Army.
That rules out Apple as well. You won't find a single chinese electronics manufacturer that is not linked to the CPLA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 04:49 AM

119 posts, read 201,386 times
I've had my Toshiba Satellite for a little over a year now, I picked it up at Wallys for $400, because I wanted a cheap laptop to do the usual web browsing and whatnot. I've been pleased with it for a year, this post is being written on it as we speak. =)

Old 01-22-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Tech Solutions View Post
I've had my Toshiba Satellite for a little over a year now, I picked it up at Wallys for $400, because I wanted a cheap laptop to do the usual web browsing and whatnot. I've been pleased with it for a year, this post is being written on it as we speak. =)
I think a cheap laptop at around that range is a better way to go for many. Instead of buying a $1200 laptop in hopes of keeping it longer... just buy a $400 laptop every couple of years.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:02 AM

2,263 posts, read 2,181,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Apple make the best laptops. The quality of the machines is unmatched in the pc industry.
A friend of mine is an executive at Apple. She has commented that the quality is not what it used to be and operating system aside, there are other products that are better. What sells Apple is the OS.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:35 AM

3,035 posts, read 3,376,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You apparently have never touched a Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad. The Apple laptops are garbage in comparison. Ofcourse if you compare the Apple laptops to Compaq, the Apple is surely better. But, again, it's no ThinkPad quality laptop.

You might want to do some research before giving advice.
Actually i have (they're very popular in my field). Design wise they're a complete mess, and they're constructed from plastic, which frankly is inferior to the macbook pros aluminium unibody. I'm not an apple fanboy (i don't own an iphone for instance) but in the computer industry apple have no real competition. My only gripe is the mb pro has no quadro graphics card option, pointless on a laptop though.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
A friend of mine is an executive at Apple. She has commented that the quality is not what it used to be and operating system aside, there are other products that are better. What sells Apple is the OS.
I'd say the design and build quality of the hardware are selling points much as the os. Also i've been using macs on and off since 1997, i can't say i've noticed a drop in quality myself. Everyone i know (mostly professionals) who bought a pc over mac did so because of cost, not because they actually prefer pc hardware.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Actually i have (they're very popular in my field). Design wise they're a complete mess, and they're constructed from plastic, which frankly is inferior to the macbook pros aluminium unibody. I'm not an apple fanboy (i don't own an iphone for instance) but in the computer industry apple have no real competition. My only gripe is the mb pro has no quadro graphics card option, pointless on a laptop though.
The plastic that you refer to is carbon fiber. Which sits around a magnesium allow roll cage and surpasses military specifications.

The Aluminum unibody is a selling ploy. A beautiful design. Drop a macbook pro from 8 feet. Then pour water on the keyboard. Do the same to a ThinkPad (with the exception of the Edge series). That macbook will be dead.

There's nothing wrong with a macbook... but it just isn't built as rugged as Thinkpads.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
The plastic that you refer to is carbon fiber. Which sits around a magnesium allow roll cage and surpasses military specifications.

The Aluminum unibody is a selling ploy. A beautiful design. Drop a macbook pro from 8 feet. Then pour water on the keyboard. Do the same to a ThinkPad (with the exception of the Edge series). That macbook will be dead.

There's nothing wrong with a macbook... but it just isn't built as rugged as Thinkpads.
Oops. All I can say is that it felt like every other pc i'd used. And it was far and away the ugliest. Btw i've dropped my mac several times - broke the hard drive once but it was loading and scratched the disk (that was a bad day!) Other than that its fine, some very small scuffs but no dents. Bear in mind that macs are the designer/creative professionals computer, as a group we want perfection . From that point of view the aluminium isn't merely a ploy.

Also i'd add that the trackpad on the mac is far and away the best i've used. Apple can't design a mouse for love nor money though, the magic mouse is way too flat and horrible to use for any length of time.

Last edited by archineer; 01-22-2012 at 02:06 PM..

Old 01-22-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Oops. All I can say is that it felt like every other pc i'd used. And it was far and away the ugliest. Btw i've dropped my mac several times - broke the hard drive once but it was loading and scratched the disk (that was a bad day!) Other than that its fine, some very small scuffs but no dents. Bear in mind that macs are the designer/creative professionals computer, as a group we want perfection . From that point of view the aluminium isn't merely a ploy.

Also i'd add that the trackpad on the mac is far and away the best i've used. Apple can't design a mouse for love nor money though, the magic mouse is way too flat and horrible to use for any length of time.
I'll give you that. ThinkPads are all about function over design. Some people love the simplistic look. However, most people do prefer the look of the MacBooks.

In terms of trackpads, it's no comparison. Apple has the best. Lenovo has the worst (literally). Thinkpad users often prefer to use the trackpoint stick (which is unmatched at this time). But there's a learning curve on the trackpoint stick that folks with newer (2000 and newer) laptops aren't willing to get used to.

I have the Thinkpad x220t. I mostly use the touchscreen.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I'll give you that. ThinkPads are all about function over design. Some people love the simplistic look. However, most people do prefer the look of the MacBooks.

In terms of trackpads, it's no comparison. Apple has the best. Lenovo has the worst (literally). Thinkpad users often prefer to use the trackpoint stic9k (which is unmatched at this time). But there's a learning curve on the trackpoint stick that folks with newer (2000 and newer) laptops aren't willing to get used to.

I have the Thinkpad x220t. I mostly use the touchscreen.
I don't know about that - the Panasonic toughbook has the worst IMO, it's completely and utterly useless.

Last edited by archineer; 01-22-2012 at 05:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers