U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 05:13 PM

747 posts, read 1,838,069 times

Advertisements

I would be using the laptop for web surfing, games, and possibly working for West, that would mean it would have to accomodate the West at Home applications. I think as long as I have Windows Xp or higher it is acceptable. RIght now I have Windows 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 10:10 AM

28,643 posts, read 40,622,302 times
Hiatus break.

Smoky, you need to know that almost all parts and pieces for computers are made by a very small number of companies and that all computer manufacturers use them. It's more important to compare features for the price than brands. Bang for the buck as it were. Consider warranty length without paying extra and check for where support is handled. There are computers you can buy that have support in the USA, but they will be business class if I recall correctly.

As you may have noticed there are a number of brands mentioned as the best, and number mentioned as the worst. You will also notice that these brands flip-flop in the opinions of posters. You will see this same behavior in any forum where you post his question. It's no different than someone getting a lemon Ford or Chevy then lambasting or praising one brand over another.

My two cents from my experience is Lenovo and HP. I have placed quite a few Lenovos at client sites with no calls for problems with the units. I personally have two HPs and a Compaq (also HP) and have had no problems with them over the years. I won't get into the "what looks good and what doesn't" because that never enters into my purchasing decision. I also will not rule out or bash any other brand because I can't speak for their quality since I have no experience with them.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:14 PM

5,850 posts, read 11,188,818 times
Laptops & notebooks: Laptop computers, notebook computers - CNET Reviews

Old 01-26-2012, 02:19 PM

5,799 posts, read 3,464,541 times
Apple, even though their mac book's are expensive

Old 01-26-2012, 02:20 PM

5,799 posts, read 3,464,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
For example, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) does not typically come pre-installed on a PC laptop.
It does, but it's a trial version, which is pre-installed

Old 01-26-2012, 05:22 PM

28,643 posts, read 40,622,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Apple, even though their mac book's are expensive
Ever think about reading the OP?

Old 01-26-2012, 05:28 PM

1,708 posts, read 5,518,214 times
I have several HP laptops. One is over 7 years old and although I have added updated ram to it and replaced a battery, I have never had any issues with it. The only real limitation it has currently is the video card is not really up to modern standards... but it's supremely reliable. The other two are much newer. One is an AMD 3 core processor machine and one is an i5 Intel running windows 7.

I think Toshiba and Asus are worth a look as well, but my experiences with Sony laptops have soured me on them.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:50 PM

5,421 posts, read 7,998,285 times
I don't know a whole lot about computers, but so far I've had a Toshiba Satellite that served me well for 3 years, and then after it stopped functioning correctly in December, I purchased an Asus G74. NICE computer... and I feel it will probably last longer than the Toshiba did.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:52 PM

34,326 posts, read 59,671,507 times
Generally, the best ones are the ones that don't get dropped or slammed, and don't have Coca-Cola spilled into them.

I have a 5 1/2 year old Dell Inspiron Core 2 Duo that appears to be one of the good ones.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:10 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,982,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Generally, the best ones are the ones that don't get dropped or slammed, and don't have Coca-Cola spilled into them.
The best ones are the ones that will survive being dropped, slammed, and spilled on. The only ones discussed in this thread that meet that criteria are the Lenovo ThinkPad and Panasonic ToughBook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers