Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 06:02 PM

752 posts, read 2,086,207 times

Advertisements

I started this thread and put it in the "Consumer" category not realizing it should have been in this one.

I'm told that laptops have a short life span (less than 10 years) but I am in the market for one because I enjoy the streamlined portability. I also prefer a NEW not a refurb or used computer. I like the ones that come in different colors, like Sony Vaio and Dell Inspiron. Not a basic black one like everyone has. I like purple and blue and champagne.

The question is who or what company do you know make the best quallity laptops and notebooks? I like to think of a laptop computer as a long term investment.

Brands I am familiar with:

Sony Vaio - nice but pricey
MacBook Air - nice but expensive and not compatible with my at-home job so thats out.
Dell Inspiron
HP

How long do laptops normally last? Does the OS need to be upgraded every 2 years or so? Also where in the world do they make laptops? I would guess CHina but not sure. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 06:10 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Almost all laptops are made in China. Despite being made in China, some laptops have very high build quality.

My recommendation for the highest quality laptop is the Lenovo (formally IBM) ThinkPad. Particularly the X, T and W series. The ThinkPads are supported by IBM in the United States. There's a reason why they're the most widely used laptops in the business world and have a cult-like consumer following.

Everyone defines "quality" differently. What do you consider "high quality"?

The Thinkpad X220 has an IPS LCD screens, as does some HP Probooks. IPS screens have the best color reproduction and good viewing angle. All MacBooks, including the Air use TN screens, which are considered inferior. Same with Dell, and other Manufacturers.

The MacBook Air uses something called a Low Voltage CPU. Low Voltage CPUs are much slower than traditional laptop CPUs (as found in other MacBooks and traditional PC Laptops). Just something to consider.

Thinkpads are built to military 8 (milspec 8) standards and have water-resistant keyboards. So if build-quality is something you have on the top of your list, ThinkPads are a serious contender.

However, MacBooks, while expensive, come with all the software pre-installed. You don't need to buy Office and other productivity software. With PCs, you typically have to pay more for the software upfront or buy it after the fact. For example, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) does not typically come pre-installed on a PC laptop.

Last edited by NJBest; 01-21-2012 at 06:34 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 06:20 PM

563 posts, read 1,498,907 times
Almost a year ago, I became a Mac person after years of using a PC.
My last laptop was and HP Pavilion, and it lasted about 3 years? I had to send it back after I bought it because the DVD player didn't work. And even after I got it back and it would play DVDs, it never ever burned one for me.
The display seemed to be going on it, and I was having a few other problems with it. It was an 800 dollar laptop at the time.
Now I have a Macbook Pro and I love the thing. They don't come in colors or anything, and I haven't looked into it, but I think you can buy cases for it or something that give the same effect.
I think with a PC or a Mac, an OS will come out every couple of years or so, although, you don't technically have to upgrade, unless there's a program you need that won't run on the old OS.
Personally, I hate Dell. Every Dell I've used comes with so much crap already installed on them that I don't want, like Music Matchbox or whatever it was called. (Last Dell I used was years ago!) And I wish my HP had been a little bit better than it turned out, but it was pretty nice while it lasted, so I'm not complaining too much. I hear good things about Vaio, and I hear that Macs will last a fairly long time.
If I were you, I'd go with either Vaio or a Mac. And MacBook air... Those seem really nice, but if it's your only computer, I would have to say you're probably better off with a regular Macbook or a Macbook pro. The Air doesn't have as much memory, and it doesn't have a DVD drive. Make sure you compare the air and the other two before you decide on the air.

Where they are made? Not sure. Probably China. I imagine it says on the box. Maybe I'll do a quick search and post another reply with my results.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:31 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
I started this thread and put it in the "Consumer" category not realizing it should have been in this one.

I'm told that laptops have a short life span (less than 10 years) but I am in the market for one because I enjoy the streamlined portability. I also prefer a NEW not a refurb or used computer. I like the ones that come in different colors, like Sony Vaio and Dell Inspiron. Not a basic black one like everyone has. I like purple and blue and champagne.

The question is who or what company do you know make the best quallity laptops and notebooks? I like to think of a laptop computer as a long term investment.

Brands I am familiar with:

Sony Vaio - nice but pricey
MacBook Air - nice but expensive and not compatible with my at-home job so thats out.
Dell Inspiron
HP

How long do laptops normally last? Does the OS need to be upgraded every 2 years or so? Also where in the world do they make laptops? I would guess CHina but not sure. Thanks for any input.
I have owned a Dell, Compaq (which is now the same as HP, but it wasn't at the time), Acer and Gateway . LOL

The best was the HP and worst was the Acer.

My next laptop will certainly be an HP. I am sold on their quality. I would NEVER buy a Acer again.

I would consider a Sony perhaps, because I have heard excellent things about them and they have been in the solid state business longer than anyone else (maybe except IBM which is now Lenovo, I guess).

You just can't go wrong with HP.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-21-2012, 06:50 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,630 times
Actually you can go wrong with an HP. They had to replace my notebook 3x because of motherboard failures. The final time they told me too bad, even though it was still under warranty.

Since then I have not spent a penny on HP products and never will. Check out some of the tech forums and you will see HP has one of the worst quality ratings of any pc maker. There are class actions suits in process because of the motherboard issue I suffered multiple times.

Right now I have a lenovo and a samsung; both are very good but I like the samsung just a bit better. Not sure why, just feels better than the lenovo (though the lenovo is solid, far more so than my HP ever wasy_

Old 01-21-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Actually you can go wrong with an HP. They had to replace my notebook 3x because of motherboard failures. The final time they told me too bad, even though it was still under warranty.

Since then I have not spent a penny on HP products and never will. Check out some of the tech forums and you will see HP has one of the worst quality ratings of any pc maker. There are class actions suits in process because of the motherboard issue I suffered multiple times.

Right now I have a lenovo and a samsung; both are very good but I like the samsung just a bit better. Not sure why, just feels better than the lenovo (though the lenovo is solid, far more so than my HP ever wasy_
Is the Lenovo a ThinkPad? Or just a Lenovo branded laptop? There's a big difference between the two in terms of build quality.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:25 PM

273 posts, read 957,196 times
I have used IBM and Lenovo Thinkpads for decades. They are better than ever, but not cheap and only come in black . My latest, W520, is terrific. It was scary when I tossed from my lap in bed to the hardwood floor after nodding off. I feared (and deserved) the worst, but it kept on ticking.

I have many old TPs lying around the house that still work after many years of hard use.

Their keyboards are legendary. For those who like the Trackpoint pointing system, there is no substitute, but not everyone likes it (I don't mean to start a discussion on this. To each his own.)

Lenovo has a wide line of other laptops too, some even come in colors, but as mentioned earlier they are not the same as Thinkpads. Lenovo is getting a lot more innovative and growing its home market presence.

I love them BUT they are not for everyone....the OP might consider Lenovo if they seek something different. Look at their web site.

Oh, and I always opt for a 3 year warranty just in case.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:09 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
If you do decide to go with a mac, wait until march when product line is due to be updated. Macs also do windows.

If you go PC, i would go with the Sony Vaio.

Lenovo makes a very good machine, but I personally would not buy a product made by an organization so closely linked to the Chinese People's Liberation Army.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:01 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,106 times
Apple make the best laptops. The quality of the machines is unmatched in the pc industry.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Apple make the best laptops. The quality of the machines is unmatched in the pc industry.
You apparently have never touched a Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad. The Apple laptops are garbage in comparison. Ofcourse if you compare the Apple laptops to Compaq, the Apple is surely better. But, again, it's no ThinkPad quality laptop.

You might want to do some research before giving advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers