U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 09:03 AM

4,276 posts, read 6,655,141 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else have an Acer Laptop? Mine is getting up there in age but would not reccoment getting one anymore. Keeps crashing, jumping cursors. UgH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 09:28 AM

11,714 posts, read 11,305,024 times
Yep. I've made two netbooks and my daughter has a laptop. No problems, so I'd recommend them. Crashing? Probably a Windows problem, not the hardware (although it's possible). Jumping cursors come from many causes. In my experience Acer machines have been pretty good and the prices are usually fairly low.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:32 AM

7,376 posts, read 13,033,199 times
Acer is pretty good and as far as your crashing its probably a software problem created by the user :P

Old 01-26-2012, 04:43 PM

4,306 posts, read 8,281,101 times
One of our computers is an Acer Aspire 5745 laptop, about 15 months old: i3, 4G ram, and has run like a top, even being dragged around the US & CDA this past summer on a 2 month car road trip. It's packed with photos, my stuff, my wife's stuff, and has never glitched. Anecdotal, I realize, but it has run very well and was not expensive.

I occasionally GOOG different desktop/laptop brands, and the 'reviews'/comments literally range from great to 'they sucks' on most any brand/model, imo. No techie here, but have had good luck with 3 different brands over the past decade and a half.
GL, mD

Old 01-27-2012, 12:59 PM

31,146 posts, read 50,304,308 times
We have two Acers. We love them. We still use the big monitors, keyboards and mice [mine is actually a trackball].

No problems, even after 2 years.

I run a defrag on the hard-drives weekly, and on the register weekly.

I use a selection of tools to clean and optimize the registers weekly, it keeps them running smooth.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:27 AM

16,253 posts, read 19,110,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Does anyone else have an Acer Laptop? Mine is getting up there in age but would not reccoment getting one anymore. Keeps crashing, jumping cursors. UgH!
I have a acer aspire netbook A0h157 or something like that. I had it for about two years and some change, it features a webcam and it still has windows vista sp2. I thouoght I about giving it a second life by installing ubuntu linux but nah instead I just use it for lite webrowsing and word processing and thats it. My heavy duty computing is down on my hp desktop which has crashed but which I was able to fix, I love windows 7. Most of my mobile computing is shifed from my acer netbook to my newly Kindle fire tablet. I wont by acer again in my honest opinion however if your on a budget go for it and use it lightly and not be a power user of any acer products. Lately acer products have been getting better as they expand in the computer consumer market.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:28 AM

24,639 posts, read 25,143,643 times
I have 3 and I really like them.
My oldest is dying (7.5 years old) , but I've got a One for travel and my regular laptop is Acer as well.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:18 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,090,967 times
Acer Laptops - CNET Reviews

My professional opinion is that I don't see a lot of Acer laptops come into the shop for hardware problems. I can't say specifically if it is because they are not particularly common or popular, or if it is design quality.

Realistically, laptops are getting so cheap as to the point they are becoming semi-disposable. If you spend $400 on a laptop and it dies in three years, you've gotten your money out of it. I've seen $1200 laptops die in less time.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:31 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Acer Laptops - CNET Reviews

My professional opinion is that I don't see a lot of Acer laptops come into the shop for hardware problems. I can't say specifically if it is because they are not particularly common or popular, or if it is design quality.

Realistically, laptops are getting so cheap as to the point they are becoming semi-disposable. If you spend $400 on a laptop and it dies in three years, you've gotten your money out of it. I've seen $1200 laptops die in less time.
I tend to agree with this. I've gotten 8 years out of my $2400 dell laptop. That's still about $300 a year. And that $2400 doesn't cover the extended warranty that covered replacing both the mother board and LCD in the first few years.

Honestly for that I could have bought a new $600 machine every two years.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:36 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,090,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I tend to agree with this. I've gotten 8 years out of my $2400 dell laptop. That's still about $300 a year. And that $2400 doesn't cover the extended warranty that covered replacing both the mother board and LCD in the first few years.

Honestly for that I could have bought a new $600 machine every two years.
And let me qualify my statements with this: It truly depends on for what you are using the laptop. If you are using it online, writing, spreadsheets, emails, etc--you don't need a $1000 laptop.

If you're using it as a workstation, doing CAD or some serious gaming, you can justify the expense--and probably wouldn't be here in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers