U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 04:17 PM

225 posts, read 554,961 times

Advertisements

Yes, W7.

Just did it.

It is telling me that speakers are not plugged in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 04:31 PM

10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLooking View Post
Thanks for the responses.

Yes, the speakers noted by kazyn are like mine.

I'm "positive" they have always been plugged into the back of my old computer (for past six years).

Plugging my headphones into the back green port resulted in no sound just now.

When I checked the speakers yesterday via "Sound and Audio Devices", it was indicated that they were working properly. But, ... they were not noted as Polk speakers but as Realtek High Definition Audio.

Also, I just plugged these Polk speakers into the front of my laptop and they played iTunes fine.
The fact that they worked on your old computer isn't really relevent to your new computer. Many old computer sound cards included an amp so you didn't need powered speakers, very few new computers don't require amplified speakers.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:43 PM

Ok, thanks, so if i get amplified speakers, will I start to hear those little beeps when an email comes in or when Windows is turned off, or is that another issue?

Old 01-26-2012, 04:52 PM

690 posts, read 1,509,875 times
This one helped me. Hopefully it may help you
with the audio problem you are experiencing.

Youtube link:

Solution to No Audio Output Device is installed - YouTube

Old 01-27-2012, 05:42 AM

119 posts, read 201,493 times
In Windows 7, there should be a little speaker icon in the system tray (AKA. notification center, AKA the little box you get when you click the up arrow in the lower right hand corner.) Clicking on that should bring up a master volume control. When you have that pulled up click on Mixer at the bottom. Make sure that everything is turned all the way up and then test with headphones that are known to be good.

As has been stated, nowadays you pretty much need speakers with an external power supply to get real sound out of them, however even if you don't have that setup you should get some VERY QUIET sounds out of them. Also there will frequently be a popup program that comes up with audio options every time you plug in a new audio device (aka speakers/microphone/headphones) that should allow you to tweak the settings around. However that depends upon whether or not your sound card has additional software that is supposed to be installed.

You can also try right clicking on "computer" click "Properties". On the screen that comes up, in the left hand side bar there should be an option for "Device Manager" in a list of 4 options with little shields next to them. Click on Device Manager. Is there a little yellow exclamation point or a little arrow pointing downwards in any of those categories? That section should have the drop down automatically expanded if there is.

If you manually hit the arrow next to "Sound, video and game controllers" what is displayed in the drop down for that category?

Old 01-27-2012, 06:44 AM

Manually hittng "Sound...", I see Intel (R) Display Audio and below it Realtek High Def Audio.

At this point. I'm just going to order a pair of new speakers and go from there.

Thanks to all who replied.

One goofy thing remains. I was told above ican only use the speakers built into the monitor with an HDMI cord, I don't see any HDMI port (or whatever the word is) on the back of the monitor.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:27 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
Headpones should have worked so the problem is not the speakers.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:08 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,916,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Headpones should have worked so the problem is not the speakers.
Exactly.

No computer I know of will tell you if you have speakers plugged in or not unless they are connected via USB. Speakers connected via analog connections (1/8 inch miniplug) cannot be detected by the computer.

I think the problem is with the computer. Either the driver is not correct, misinstalled somehow, or the sound chip (probably on the motherboard) is malfunctioning.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:24 PM

119 posts, read 201,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Exactly.

No computer I know of will tell you if you have speakers plugged in or not unless they are connected via USB. Speakers connected via analog connections (1/8 inch miniplug) cannot be detected by the computer.

I think the problem is with the computer. Either the driver is not correct, misinstalled somehow, or the sound chip (probably on the motherboard) is malfunctioning.
Actually the ability to detect what's plugged in has been around for quite a while. If I plug in headphones to my laptop, the sound manager software pops up and asks me to check the box for either headphones or "line out" (aka speakers).

Also NYLooking, check for any sound manager program, make sure it's not set to mute or anything like that. Also the older monitors with speakers had an audio input cable (before HDMI combined audio and video). As was stated, if it was an issue with the speakers then the headphones should have worked still. You can try going back to where you see the sound options in the device manager, right clicking both of them, and then clicking uninstall. Then plug the speakers back in and you should get a pop up from the system tray/ notification center saying that it's installing drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers