U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:57 AM

225 posts, read 554,362 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I recently purchased a new desktop and have it pretty well set up.

However, I was not getting any sound from it or from the speakers I was using with my old computer. I was not, and still am not, getting those little Window sounds when the computer starts or is shut down or any little beeps when a new email comes in. Nothing off iTunes either.

So, I called tech support who informed me that the speakers I have (little Polk audio ones that are now selling on eBay for less than $10) will not work since they don't use a power cord and 2) the built-in speakers on my monitor will not work since I am not hooked up to my computer via an HDMI cable.

Does this sound correct?

I am also not getting any sound when headphones are plugged into the front of the computer.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 12:07 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times
I have not seen sound displayed on my computer either.

(just teasing you - you probably didn't mean display sound)

What brand of desktop did you buy?

I think tech support is giving you bad information. I assume your Polk speakers plug in to your computer via a 1/8 inch mini plug. Do these speakers run on batteries or use AC power? If not, they aren't amplified and you should not assume that a computer can drive them. In any case the first thing I would do is verify you plugged them into the correct jack (usually green colored). There is probably another that is for a microphone.

You should also verify you haven't "muted" the sounds on your computer by accident and didn't notice it. Usually there is a symbol in the lower right of the display what looks like a speaker. If it has a slash over it the sound is muted.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:11 PM

No, I did have them plugged into the green port on back of computer for a day or so and I don't have anything muted.

My speakers just plugged into my old computer and worked fine.

I bought a ZT Affinity with i7, 16 GB and 2 TB Hard Drive.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:13 PM

39,880 posts, read 57,710,982 times
Did you go to "Control Panel" and checked "Sound and Audio Devices" there?
Do you see some sort of green light on your speakers? Its maybe possible that the batteries are old, or maybe you turned the speakers volume down?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:36 PM

Where would the batteries be? I've never put any in and they worked fine as of a few days ago.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:40 PM

11,820 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Plug the headphones into the jack on the back. Hear anything that way?

Old 01-26-2012, 12:43 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,706,348 times
The portion about the monitor speakers is correct, regular VGA or DVI cables do not transmit sound.

However, the polks should work.

Do the speakers look like this?

http://www.amazon.com/polk-audio-gra.../dp/B0022BDIRC

If so, those are normally not connected directly to the PC, rather they are connected to a powered sub, which gives them power. I think that you may just need to go grab a $20 set of speakers from a BM store or online for less.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:11 PM

39,880 posts, read 57,710,982 times
Those speakers need to get the power from somewhere. If not battery then outlet. That's maybe the problem.
Tell us what kind of speakers you have ... or post a picture.
Polk Audio Computer Speaker Problem Support, Troubleshooting Help & Repair Solutions
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, the speakers noted by kazyn are like mine.

I'm "positive" they have always been plugged into the back of my old computer (for past six years).

Plugging my headphones into the back green port resulted in no sound just now.

When I checked the speakers yesterday via "Sound and Audio Devices", it was indicated that they were working properly. But, ... they were not noted as Polk speakers but as Realtek High Definition Audio.

Also, I just plugged these Polk speakers into the front of my laptop and they played iTunes fine.

Last edited by NYLooking; 01-26-2012 at 04:01 PM..

Old 01-26-2012, 04:10 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,706,348 times
Realtek HDA is just the sound card, it's not denoting the speakers.

Ok, so we've determined now that it is not the peripheral but the computer. Good!

Are you running Windows 7 by chance? If so, plug in your speakers, then right click your sound icon at the bottom of the screen near the clock, and go to playback devices. Right click "Speakers" and select it as default. Does it play now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers