U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 03:09 AM

3,426 posts, read 2,791,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
Just bought my first computer ever which is a used one and need advice on how to protect myself from hackers, viruses, etc.

It came with Avanti security (or something like that) and now I keep getting pop-ups saying there's only a couple days left before the free trial offer expires

Please keep in mind that I'm not technologically well informed
All you have to do is re-register the antivirus program with Avast and it will be good for another year (assuming that you are using the free version). Avast works very well. You don't need to uninstall it or install another brand. Just use what you've got. However, if it is the professional version, you'll need to pay a fee to update your registration. If you cannot afford to do that, just download the free version, uninstall the old one, and install the free version and register it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 12:51 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,091,715 times
My personal opinion is "nothing will save you." I've seen hundreds of computers come through, with a number of different anti-virus programs, all of which one kind of bug through or another. It seems that if people are going to get infected, they're going to get infected.

As my professional opinion, the popular consensus among a myriad of techs on here, elsewhere, and the at least sufficient geeky--is Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, and SuperAntiSpyware. The free versions are enough. I prefer MSE, as I've seen it remove malware some of the big name companies failed to detect or stop. Malwarebytes' and SuperAntiSpyware do a great job of removing threats once they have already installed themselves on your computer. Considering how frequently I have some clients coming in, I question the ability of any paid or free software to stop infections, but I do know those three clean them up pretty well.

I'd recommend keeping TDSSKiller in your "arsenal" in the event you are infected. It does a great job of picking up a number of rootkits that I often seen bundled with popular trojans, and as long as you can get online, it'll request to be updated from Kaspersky Labs' when you run it, which is a nice feature.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:14 PM

This is not a promotional for Windows 7, but I have been cleaning malware and viruses from computers for many years, and what is apparent to me is that the real culprit here is Windows XP. It is a bug magnet, no doubt about it. I have had Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit installed on my main computer since it first came out, and have kept it up to date. I've not seen a single piece of malware or a virus on it since I installed it. I use zonealarm, and Avast. I also have malwarebytes installed, and run it occasionally, but have yet to have any of the problems I see regularly with Windows XP.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:19 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,268,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
This is not a promotional for Windows 7, but I have been cleaning malware and viruses from computers for many years, and what is apparent to me is that the real culprit here is Windows XP. It is a bug magnet, no doubt about it. I have had Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit installed on my main computer since it first came out, and have kept it up to date. I've not seen a single piece of malware or a virus on it since I installed it. I use zonealarm, and Avast. I also have malwarebytes installed, and run it occasionally, but have yet to have any of the problems I see regularly with Windows XP.
There is no reason to run two AV programs, and there are many reason NOT to run two AV programs.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
There is no reason to run two AV programs, and there are many reason NOT to run two AV programs.
Zonealarm is a firewall, not an antivirus program.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:53 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,268,988 times
Quote:
Zonealarm is a firewall, not an antivirus program.
They also offer a suite with AV, you didn't specify it was their free firewall only.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
They also offer a suite with AV, you didn't specify it was their free firewall only.
I have the professional version but it isn't their security suite, just the firewall with the browser toolbar.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:37 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,091,715 times
Quote:
I have the professional version but it isn't their security suite, just the firewall with the browser toolbar.

*twitch*

Naturally, not the first time I've seen computers with toolbars.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
*twitch*

Naturally, not the first time I've seen computers with toolbars.
No doubt. And just for the record, anyone who tries to use a browser loaded with that many tool bars is just plain stupid. The zonealarm tool bar is a security feature that monitors the web pages you browse and looks for security issues, then lets you know if there is a potential problem. Some people like it. Others don't. I try to keep my browser as basic as I can, though I do use the zonealarm tool bar on my XP laptop. I don't use it in Windows 7 ultimate 64 because it is not needed.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:41 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,968,972 times
Quote:
COMMON SENSE
This is what I use, and nothing else. Seriously.
I haven't had a virus in 15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or