Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 05:44 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,343 times

Advertisements

Microsoft Security Essentials. Active scanner. Free, from Microsoft.

Malwarebytes. Run when you need it, free.

Superantispyware. Run when you need it, free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 06:25 AM

335 posts, read 1,311,308 times
Stay away from anything Norton. MSE is very good. I use Panda Cloud.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:35 AM

460 posts, read 3,547,333 times
The computer came installed with Avast free antivirus so I just resigned up for that.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:36 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach.guy View Post
Stay away from anything Norton.
Stop giving unsubstantiated advice.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:04 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Windows Firewall
MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials)
Malwarebytes

Browser Firefox... or Chrome (Anything but IE)

and

wait for it

COMMON SENSE

Old 01-28-2012, 11:28 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Those who are saying stay away from Norton.... have you guys actually used it since they rewrote it from scratch? I know the old versions were a hog... but I find the new ones very good.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:35 PM

633 posts, read 1,950,327 times
You would think when you buy a new pc there would be minimal work but that is not so. When I build a new system I will down load and install the following programs.
Remember to make a copy of your system and keep the disks that came with it safe.
Except that the work is never over, develop a good maintenance and external back up routine. Be prepared to rebuild your computer at least once a year.

Download
Firefox
AVG or Avast
Zonealarm
Ccleaner
Malwarebytes
Advanced system care
cwshredder

Adobe reader
Adobe shockwave
Adobe flash (some would disagree)
Winzip
java

Old 01-28-2012, 01:10 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
Just bought my first computer ever which is a used one and need advice on how to protect myself from hackers, viruses, etc.

It came with Avanti security (or something like that) and now I keep getting pop-ups saying there's only a couple days left before the free trial offer expires

Please keep in mind that I'm not technologically well informed
WOW ... Congratulations on your first computer!

Old 01-28-2012, 07:43 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
You would think when you buy a new pc there would be minimal work but that is not so. When I build a new system I will down load and install the following programs.
Remember to make a copy of your system and keep the disks that came with it safe.
Except that the work is never over, develop a good maintenance and external back up routine. Be prepared to rebuild your computer at least once a year.

Download
Firefox
AVG or Avast
Zonealarm

Ccleaner
Malwarebytes
Advanced system care
cwshredder

Adobe reader
Adobe shockwave
Adobe flash (some would disagree)
Winzip
java
You run multiple AV programs? NO ONE recommends running more than one, in fact EVERYONE (well the knowledgeable folk) recommends to NEVER run more than one.

Advances systemcare and cwshredder are unnecessary.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:47 AM

119 posts, read 226,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You run multiple AV programs? NO ONE recommends running more than one, in fact EVERYONE (well the knowledgeable folk) recommends to NEVER run more than one.

Advances systemcare and cwshredder are unnecessary.
I also wouldn't suggest someone who isn't "tech savvy" and is just getting their first computer play with advanced tools like CCleaner. You can do more harm than good with most of the good tools if you don't know what you're doing. Keep it simple, good AV, good Anti-Malware, let things do their job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers