U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:15 AM

16,726 posts, read 29,333,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Can you link to the cartridge that yields 5000 pages? The one you linked to previously yields 1600 pages.
Opps! My mistake. I bought a 4-pack x 1,500 pages each (average). Still, that's a lot of pages for $44.00 or so (free shipping from Amazon).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 12:29 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,982,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Opps! My mistake. I bought a 4-pack x 1,500 pages each (average). Still, that's a lot of pages for $44.00 or so (free shipping from Amazon).
That comes out to about 0.9 cents per page. The brother MFC 9320C is a laser printer that yields 0.7 cents per page.

The HP Officejet Pro 8500/8600 [inkjet] printers beat it by more than half at 0.3 cents per page when using generic ink. For someone who wants to save $$ in ink/toner, this inkjet option is better.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/28609246-post22.html

Old 04-29-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
That comes out to about 0.9 cents per page. The brother MFC 9320C is a laser printer that yields 0.7 cents per page.

The HP Officejet Pro 8500/8600 [inkjet] printers beat it by more than half at 0.3 cents per page when using generic ink. For someone who wants to save $$ in ink/toner, this inkjet option is better.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/28609246-post22.html
Yes, there can be savings on either one depending on what you want. But on my photo printers I can't use generic inks. Also, to have a big toner cartridge in the laser printer is a lot more convenient than replacing a whole bunch of small cartridges in the inkjet printers. To me it's cheaper and more convenient to print forms, letters, recipes, and the like on the laser printer. Besides, the document does not smudge like one printed on an inkjet printer.

That said, the most cost effective way for printing in B&W is a laser printer. I am not making this up. A black inkjet cartridge is good for an average of 200 pages. You can print in color to save the black ink, but a lot of documents are best printed in black.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:36 PM

28,643 posts, read 40,622,302 times
Quote:
Yes, there can be savings on either one depending on what you want. But on my photo printers I can't use generic inks. Also, to have a big toner cartridge in the laser printer is a lot more convenient than replacing a whole bunch of small cartridges in the inkjet printers. To me it's cheaper and more convenient to print forms, letters, recipes, and the like on the laser printer. Besides, the document does not smudge like one printed on an inkjet printer.

That said, the most cost effective way for printing in B&W is a laser printer. I am not making this up. A black inkjet cartridge is good for an average of 200 pages. You can print in color to save the black ink, but a lot of documents are best printed in black.
I tried generic inks a couple of times. Never again. Thy were cheaper, but the color and quality really suffered.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:21 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,982,964 times
Quote:
That said, the most cost effective way for printing in B&W is a laser printer. I am not making this up. A black inkjet cartridge is good for an average of 200 pages.
I think you missed my previous link. Black inkjet cartridges last quite a bit more than 200 pages. Ofcourse it depends on the printer. Using the per page calculation, inkjet printers are more cost effective hands down.

Laser has other benefits. Cost is not one of them. At least in terms of desktop printers.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I think you missed my previous link. Black inkjet cartridges last quite a bit more than 200 pages. Ofcourse it depends on the printer. Using the per page calculation, inkjet printers are more cost effective hands down.

Laser has other benefits. Cost is not one of them. At least in terms of desktop printers.
All depends on the capacity of the ink cartridge, but most last around 200 pages of black print. However, some inkjet printers have the option of two different capacity cartridges.

There are countless articles on the Internet you can read about which printer type (laser and inkjet) is more cost effective for B&W printing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2013...cost-effective

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/articl...which_better_/

http://cartridgeworldnj.com/2011/12/...laser-printer/

http://www.wisegeek.org/should-i-buy...er-printer.htm

http://www.howtogeek.com/102092/buying-guide-printers/

I could go on and on about this

Anyway, if you mostly print B&W text documents the most cost effective is a B&W laser printer. That's why I have both, a relatively cheap HP laser printer (under $100.00), plus relatively cheap aftermarket toner, and 3 inkjet printers. The toner costs $8.00, maybe $10.00 per cartridge at Amazon. I buy 4-packs of toner to get free shipping from Amazon.

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-30-2013 at 10:09 PM..

Old 05-01-2013, 05:12 AM

28,643 posts, read 40,622,302 times
Quote:

I find this to be incorrect.

I've had an HP 1200 I got used from a client with a partially used toner cartridge in it. This was in 2009. I haven't bought a new cartridge yet and this is our main printer.

During that time I bought and stopped using an inkjet because it used cartridges quickly and they were expensive. After market cartridges were terrible. Lousy color, thin ink, etc.

I replaced the inkjet with a color laser printer and the cost per page is still lower than I was experiencing with inkjet.

I'll probably never own an inkjet again. In fact I'm going to have a few in my moving sale later this year...

Old 05-01-2013, 10:34 AM

11,749 posts, read 11,317,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I find this to be incorrect.

I've had an HP 1200 I got used from a client with a partially used toner cartridge in it. This was in 2009. I haven't bought a new cartridge yet and this is our main printer.

During that time I bought and stopped using an inkjet because it used cartridges quickly and they were expensive. After market cartridges were terrible. Lousy color, thin ink, etc.

I replaced the inkjet with a color laser printer and the cost per page is still lower than I was experiencing with inkjet.

I'll probably never own an inkjet again. In fact I'm going to have a few in my moving sale later this year...
I agree 100%, based on my own personal experience. When I replaced the toner cartridge for my small laser printer, it had been used for 8 years. I've never even heard of an ink jet cartridge that could last that long. If ink jet is not used frequently, they dry out. If I don't use my laser for a couple of months, it is still ready to print when I need it.

I just bought a Lexmark color laser, so now my home has two printers, each addressed by the IP address on our network. I sometimes print beer labels in color. Ink Jet is no good.

Last edited by mensaguy; 05-01-2013 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: creative spelling

Old 05-04-2013, 09:48 PM

137 posts, read 118,667 times
Quote:
All depends on the capacity of the ink cartridge, but most last around 200 pages of black print. However, some inkjet printers have the option of two different capacity cartridges.

There are countless articles on the Internet you can read about which printer type (laser and inkjet) is more cost effective for B&W printing.

Inkjet or laser printing: which is more cost-effective? | Money | The Guardian

Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better? - Printers, laser printers, inkjet printers - Notebooks, PCs & Printers - PC World Business

Should I Buy an Inkjet or a Laser Printer? « Cartridge World NJ

Should I Buy a Inkjet or a Laser Printer? (with pictures)

The How-To Geek Guide to Buying the Right Printer

I could go on and on about this

Anyway, if you mostly print B&W text documents the most cost effective is a B&W laser printer. That's why I have both, a relatively cheap HP laser printer (under $100.00), plus relatively cheap aftermarket toner, and 3 inkjet printers. The toner costs $8.00, maybe $10.00 per cartridge at Amazon. I buy 4-packs of toner to get free shipping from Amazon.
Reading this makes me feel like we're waaay back in 2005. Back then, laser printers were significantly cheaper to run. Nowadays, inkjet printers have surpassed laser printers (at least in the level of printers designed for home and home-office use) in terms of cost.

The new HP officejets even destroy lasers in speed and do not smudge like old inkjets. Now that the printheads are fixed (opposed to old inkjets where the printheads used to swing back and forth while printing), they're relatively quiet as well. At this point, the major advantage of a laser printer is it's ability to print really small text more clearly.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenured View Post
Reading this makes me feel like we're waaay back in 2005. Back then, laser printers were significantly cheaper to run. Nowadays, inkjet printers have surpassed laser printers (at least in the level of printers designed for home and home-office use) in terms of cost.

The new HP officejets even destroy lasers in speed and do not smudge like old inkjets. Now that the printheads are fixed (opposed to old inkjets where the printheads used to swing back and forth while printing), they're relatively quiet as well. At this point, the major advantage of a laser printer is it's ability to print really small text more clearly.
Like I said before, in my case the laser printer I use to print B&W is a lot cheaper to print than my photo printer, plus two more inkjet do-all printers. The photo printer uses 8 ink cartridges, and each costs around $17.00. It does not take very long to empty one of these cartridges, while it takes several months for the laser printer to use a toner cartridge that costs around $8.00 to $12.00. The last toner cartridge was replaced over six months ago.

$44.00 for four toner cartridges, at 1,600 pages per cartridge (average):
http://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Car...ref=pd_sim_e_6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers