U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 01:18 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times

Advertisements

Reruns!!! Yay!

And just so I'll at least be seeming to attempt a post that concerns what's going on: I don't care about the numbers. I like the quality of a laser for printing and a few gazillionths of a cent per page isn't going to make any difference to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 01:52 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I like the quality of a laser...
That's what I like about Laser as well. The quality can be better... especially for presentations.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:14 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,314,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm not blaming you. I'm just surprised that you supported what they wrote after clicking on "ratings" on the same link you provided. It's obvious once you look at the column for black text cost. It's almost as if you didn't bother looking through their ratings to do your own analysis and just went off of their summary page.
How about you? Did you read the two paragraphs I posted? I quoted what they wrote. Also, Consumer Reports is not the only writing articles of the most cost effective printer (monochrome laser), but the same is said in countless articles, some published on magazines and on the Internet:

the most cost effective, laser of inkjet printer? - Google Search

Old 05-06-2013, 06:16 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,092,512 times
How did thios get to be like a amc vs windows argument from just wanting cheap printer recommendation. i say go to a pawn shop often they have brand nw ew printers cheap that people get with a computer deal.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:26 PM

137 posts, read 118,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
How about you? Did you read the two paragraphs I posted? I quoted what they wrote. Also, Consumer Reports is not the only writing articles of the most cost effective printer (monochrome laser), but the same is said in countless articles, some published on magazines and on the Internet:

the most cost effective, laser of inkjet printer? - Google Search
Seems like those writers have been dozing off the past few years. In addition to those inkjets which have lower cost ink from the Consumer Reports link that you provided, check out what others are saying about the HP Officejet Pro X series (this is the MFP, but all of them use the same ink):

"...the X576dw delivers CPPs lower than any other inkjet multifunction printer (MFP) we’ve seen, and it’s cheaper to use than most comparably priced color laser printers we know of, too."

- http://www.computershopper.com/print...product-review

"The X576dw might not quite match the print quality of a similarly expensive colour laser MFP, but its speed and low running costs are much better, winning it a Business Buy award."

- http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/print...jet-pro-x576dw

- http://www.pcworld.com/article/20276...ereotypes.html

I'm not saying that laser printers are bad. They just aren't as cheap to run as modern inkjets. If you print a lot and cost of printing is a concern, inkjets are certainly worth a look.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:25 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,314,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenured View Post
Seems like those writers have been dozing off the past few years. In addition to those inkjets which have lower cost ink from the Consumer Reports link that you provided, check out what others are saying about the HP Officejet Pro X series (this is the MFP, but all of them use the same ink):

"...the X576dw delivers CPPs lower than any other inkjet multifunction printer (MFP) we’ve seen, and it’s cheaper to use than most comparably priced color laser printers we know of, too."

- HP Officejet Pro X576dw Multifunction Printer Review - ComputerShopper.com

"The X576dw might not quite match the print quality of a similarly expensive colour laser MFP, but its speed and low running costs are much better, winning it a Business Buy award."

- HP Officejet Pro X576dw review | Expert Reviews

- Review: Supercharged HP Officejet Pro X576dw skewers inkjet stereotypes | PCWorld

I'm not saying that laser printers are bad. They just aren't as cheap to run as modern inkjets. If you print a lot and cost of printing is a concern, inkjets are certainly worth a look.
Well, if you click on the Google link I posted above, you will notice that a great number of the articles explaining the reasons why monochrome laser printers are more cost-effective than inkjet printers-where published late 2012 and this year (2013). Regardless, you are outnumber by quite a large margin in your view about laser printers.

That said, in my individual case the HP 1102w I have is a lot more cost effective than every one of the three other inkjet printers I have. The most expensive inks are the CLI-8 that I use on a Canon Pixma Pro 9000-series photo printer (8 cartridges at $17.00 each). The other two are Epson do-all printers that drink ink like crazy, and then clog-up if we don't use them for a few days. My wife and I only use the laser printer for all our monochrome printing, and so far has been the cheapest to use I can think of.

By the way, your last link to the HP inkjet printer indicates that it's quite fast and cheap to print monochrome, but it costs nearly $800.00! And there is another problem with this printer: almost impossible to find at any store, and the few purchased have had a very large number of bad reviews from customers. The little HP monochrome laser printer I have cost $97.00 (on sale from $140.00) two years ago, and the toner refills I buy at Amazon cost $44.00 for a 4-pack (around 1,600 pages per cartridge).

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-06-2013 at 09:51 PM..

Old 05-06-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenured View Post

- HP Officejet Pro X576dw Multifunction Printer Review - ComputerShopper.com

- HP Officejet Pro X576dw review | Expert Reviews

- Review: Supercharged HP Officejet Pro X576dw skewers inkjet stereotypes | PCWorld

Side note: The X series inkjets is also guinness world record holder for desktop printers: Hewlett-Packard Officejet Pro X551dw takes printer world record - February - 2013 - Latest World Record News | Guinness World Records

Impressive for an inkjet.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:19 AM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Side note: The X series inkjets is also guinness world record holder for desktop printers: Hewlett-Packard Officejet Pro X551dw takes printer world record - February - 2013 - Latest World Record News | Guinness World Records

Impressive for an inkjet.
For almost $800 it better make me coffee and breakfast.

I thought we were all hung up on how cheap we could print. As if it's really that important...

Old 05-07-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
For almost $800 it better make me coffee and breakfast.

I thought we were all hung up on how cheap we could print. As if it's really that important...
That's just the most expensive of the X series. The prices come down quite a bit if you don't need MFP, extra print trays, etc.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:45 PM

11,714 posts, read 11,305,024 times
Another cost involved with a printer is the cost of replacing ink cartridges that have dried out. Sometimes I don't print anything for a month. My laser printer is ready whenever I need it and I have yet to have a dried up toner cartridge or a clogged up print head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers