U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 04:50 PM

171 posts, read 370,248 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a relatively inexpensive plug and play printer. Do you have any suggestions for models I should consider? I don't need anything fancy, I'm not looking to print photos or really anything in color. Just papers for school. If it matters, I have a Dell Inspiron 1545.

Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 05:17 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,314,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwolf131 View Post
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a relatively inexpensive plug and play printer. Do you have any suggestions for models I should consider? I don't need anything fancy, I'm not looking to print photos or really anything in color. Just papers for school. If it matters, I have a Dell Inspiron 1545.

Thanks for all your help!
If you don't have to print colors, a cheap laser printer is best since the ink won't smudge. The HP 1102w costs around $90.00 at Amazon and other places. It's also ePrint ready if you want to print from an iPhone, I Pad and such. It comes with a small toner cartridge, so you will have to buy another later. However, the generic toners are quite cheap at Amazon and other online stores.

That said, if you want to print wirelessly, you have to set the printer through your router at home. Otherwise you can print via the USB port on your computer (it comes with the USB cord). I set mine to print wirelessly from my wife's iPad and also from a couple of computers we have.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:25 PM

79 posts, read 339,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
If you don't have to print colors, a cheap laser printer is best since the ink won't smudge. The HP 1102w costs around $90.00 at Amazon and other places. It's also ePrint ready if you want to print from an iPhone, I Pad and such. It comes with a small toner cartridge, so you will have to buy another later. However, the generic toners are quite cheap at Amazon and other online stores.

That said, if you want to print wirelessly, you have to set the printer through your router at home. Otherwise you can print via the USB port on your computer (it comes with the USB cord). I set mine to print wirelessly from my wife's iPad and also from a couple of computers we have.
be very care full of the 1102w, i have the same exact printer and somehow my model is not compatibility with the eprint services.....Here is list of compatibility printers for eprint and other mobile printing:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/ePrint-...ps/td-p/351574

Old 01-28-2012, 06:54 PM

39,880 posts, read 57,710,982 times
Whatever you buy make sure that the printer cartridge is not too expensive. What usually translates: cheap printer - expensive cartridge, expensive printer - cheaper cartridge...
Your printer expense is just once, but you will keep buying toner quite often.
Laser better than inkjet. Toners cheaper for laser.
Don't use cheap copy paper, but buy more expensive inkjet paper ( coated ) but buy only when on sale - watch for it and stock up. On copy paper, the ink soaks into and through the paper and the printer use more ink. If you have an option use "gray scale" to save even more on toner
A little tip to the toner: if possible, try to find a toner with the X after the number. Its only slightly more expensive, but much more efficient. Ignore low toner messages, take the toner out, shake well and insert back into the printer. You can usually print 50-100 extra pages - just watch your print quality.
Use Best Deals, Freebies and Coupons Everyday! to find printers and toners on sale ( Deal Search Results ) ( Deal Search Results )
Suggestion: Canon and Kodak make some of the most economical printers on the market.
Check on Canon Pixma models.

Hope it helps
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottMAN98405cc View Post
be very care full of the 1102w, i have the same exact printer and somehow my model is not compatibility with the eprint services.....Here is list of compatibility printers for eprint and other mobile printing:
Cloud Services Supported Printers (ePrint, Airprint, Print A... - HP Support Forum
That's true. But it's also a WI-Fi printer, so if you set it through the router at home, you can print from any printer via Wi-Fi. In the case of the iPad, it has to be an ePrint-ready printer, but the iPad uses AirPrint to communicate with it.

Also, it's listed in the compatible iPrint printers at Apple. I use several computers to print via Wi-Fi, plus the iPad via ePrint (Apple's iPrint).

Old 01-28-2012, 11:03 PM

171 posts, read 370,248 times
I'm not looking to connect via WiFi. I just want the most basic printer I can--plugging in is ok. Thank you for all the replies so far

Old 01-29-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwolf131 View Post
I'm not looking to connect via WiFi. I just want the most basic printer I can--plugging in is ok. Thank you for all the replies so far
As I mentioned before, the printer comes with an USB cable. All you have to do is to plug it to the computer or "plug and play." The Wi-Fi thing is just another feature offered with most printers these days.

Also, as I mentioned before, if you don't print colors documents the best options are laser printers now that they are so cheap.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:45 AM

11,544 posts, read 26,367,674 times
When I want a printer I usually go to Office Depot and talk to the people who sell it. A friend of mine uses a small HP with her laptop for word. A far as I know it is only B&W. She works for the state so I am sure it is not expensive.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:55 AM

39,880 posts, read 57,710,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
When I want a printer I usually go to Office Depot and talk to the people who sell it. A friend of mine uses a small HP with her laptop for word. A far as I know it is only B&W. She works for the state so I am sure it is not expensive.
HP toners are usually pretty $$$. (I don't think State really cares about it.)
But of course you might be right, and she indeed found a low cost printer that uses low cost cartridges.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:08 AM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
A comparison:

HP Laserjet P1102w $98.00
Toner for the Laserjet $58.50 = 1600 pages

HP Deskjet 1000 $34.25
Ink carts for the Deskjet
Black $27.00 = 480 pages
Color $28.93 = 330 pages

I'll let you do the math
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers